Falcons won't win by pounding the rock Sunday

Peyton

I know the perception is that the Falcons are a "running team" and that is their personality and yada yada yada. If the Falcons come out on Sunday trying to establish dominance in the running game early, they will find themselves down at the half 17-3 re-evauating their game plan.

Depsite the loss of Richard Seymour, the Patriots still have a great defensive line. The weakness in thier defense is inexperienced LBs who aren't that physically talented, and cornerbacks who are way past their prime. With Meriweather nursing an ankle injury, they are substandard at safety at well.

The Falcons have the tools to pass on anybody, they need to attack the weakness in the Patriots defense. They can finish the Patriots off with Turner after they have dizzied them with an aerial assault.

Last week Mark Sanchez had 5 pass attempts at halfime. He was 3-5 for 15 yards and the Jets trailed 9-3. After halftime, he went 11-17 for 148 yards and the Jets went on to win 16-9. If the Falcons attack the weakness in the NE defense, this game could be a Falcons rout.

Anyway, that's the way I see it, we'll find out tomorrow what Mularkey thinks. He's a great OC and I'm sure he'll have a great gameplan for the offense tomorrow. He hasn't really let us down yet.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm peyton..

if i have heard right. the pats have given up 100+ yards ON THE GROUND a game.

We can atleast pound it to show that we are not afraid to.

THEN we can air it

The Jets, who have an offensive line at least as good as the Falcons, did run for 116 yards, but they had to run 31 times to do so.

I just don't think the Falcons are going to be able to hold NE to 9 points like the Jets did, so I think the Falcons are going to need a more aggresive offensive gameplan.

im not gonna even read that....let me explain something to you....we will lose if we become a pass first team...do you know why we are 13-5 over the last 2 years? its because we run the ball so much

Dude, I said my gameplan, not our gameplan. I dont care if we run or pass, I'm talking about my fantasy team. I have 4 players in today's game

im not gonna even read that....let me explain something to you....we will lose if we become a pass first team...do you know why we are 13-5 over the last 2 years? its because we run the ball so much

I respectfully disagree with you. The Falcons win games because they can beat you in a number of different ways on offense. We have no idea what would happen if Mularkey opened it up because he's never done it. The Falcons might be the 84 Dolphins if he did. You never know.

The Jets, who have an offensive line at least as good as the Falcons, did run for 116 yards, but they had to run 31 times to do so.

I just don't think the Falcons are going to be able to hold NE to 9 points like the Jets did, so I think the Falcons are going to need a more aggresive offensive gameplan.

peyton let me ask you a question? if ware 13-5 over the last 2 seasons by running the football why are we gonna go to newengland and throw it?

I respectfully disagree with you. The Falcons win games because they can beat you in a number of different ways on offense. We have no idea what would happen if Mularkey opened it up because he's never done it. The Falcons might be the 84 Dolphins if he did. You never know.

we are practically undefeated when turner runs for 100 yards the falcons cant be beat when we run the ball

I just don't think the Falcons are going to be able to hold NE to 9 points like the Jets did, so I think the Falcons are going to need a more aggressive offensive gameplan.

Im with you all the way with the aggressive plan. Im just saying lets atleast be run aggresive in the first half. 1. It will get them tired/via hurry up offense

2.It will keep them on their heels with our play action.

Then we can be aggressive through the air after at least the first quarter.

Im with you all the way with the aggressive plan. Im just saying lets atleast be run aggresive in the first half. 1. It will get them tired/via hurry up offense

2.It will keep them on their heels with our play action.

Then we can be aggressive through the air after at least the first quarter.

the falcons are undefeated when turner runs ror 100 yards.the falcon cannot beaten if theygain 100 yards on the ground

peyton let me ask you a question? if ware 13-5 over the last 2 seasons by running the football why are we gonna go to newengland and throw it?

You do realize that Matt threw the ball 434 times with 3400+ yards last season. Our main RB's, Turner and Norwood combined for 471. That looks more like a balanced offense. We are a run first team. We dont just run, run, run. So far this season Matt has 63 attempts, Turner has 50, while Norwood, Snelling and Ryan combine for only 14 more attempts. So our season right now is

63 Pass attempts

64 Rush attempts.

That sure looks like a balanced team to me

I just want to chime in that I have been quite satisfied with Mularkey's play calling thus far this season. The run/pass mix has been excellent (including on 1st down); he has spread the ball around; and he has not pulled out more from the playbook than is required to secure victory. Some may complain that he gets too conservative late in the game, but I saw that Turner got that first down that should have iced the Panther's game had it not been for the terrible spot by the line judge.

we are practically undefeated when turner runs for 100 yards the falcons cant be beat when we run the ball

Not practically. Literally. 9-0 when Turner goes over 100.

Look, if you want to see how to score point on the Pats, look at the Buffalo game, not the one where they only gave up 1 TD. How did the Bills do it? Wow, they used their excellent QB Trent Edwards... Oh wait, no, that's not how they did it. They did it by bringing a guy named Fred Jackson on the scene, running the ball, passing to the running back behind the line of scrimmage, staying in the no-huddle, tiring out the big defensive tackles of the Pats, and not letting the guys on the interior of that defense get a break. We need to come out in the no-huddle, let Ryan read the defense, and since he'll be watching plenty of film on the Pats, he'll know what to do. Ryan is WAY smarter than Edwards, I'd be willing to say, and he's also got a better skill set. If we run the no-huddle, pass when coverage presents the option, but rush and tire out their D-line, the offense will not be the reason for our losing.

On defense, play well in the red zone. Bend but don't break is going to do wonders in this game, I think. I expect to see Gostkowski kick 3 or 4 FG's, that's why I'm starting HIM in my fantasy league. If we let them get TD's, we're done, but FG's we can outscore.

You do realize that Matt threw the ball 434 times with 3400+ yards last season. Our main RB's, Turner and Norwood combined for 471. That looks more like a balanced offense. We are a run first team. We dont just run, run, run. So far this season Matt has 63 attempts, Turner has 50, while Norwood, Snelling and Ryan combine for only 14 more attempts. So our season right now is

63 Pass attempts

64 Rush attempts.

That sure looks like a balanced team to me

do you know we were 1-5 when turner went for less then 100 yards last year?

do you know we were 1-5 when turner went for less then 100 yards last year?

He got shut down by top defenses. But what I'm trying to point out to you is we have a balanced offensive attack. We are not just a running team as you say. Turner was held under 100 against Miami, we win on Ryan's 2 TD and Elams legs. Turner barely cracked 100 but he got a TD, but it was still Ryans passing that got us more scores. You need balance to win in the NFL. That is what we have.

No offense but you cant even use this stat......

That assumes turner wasnt stopped man........ We could pitch it to turner all day long, but if he gets stuffed those yards mean NADA.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't run the ball, that's a good idea, but there are alot of ways to skin a cat. This game is not gonna be a walk in the park, and we need not fool ourselves into taking the pats lightly. It is a road game, against what once was a very solid team, and I dont think getting to hot and heavy about woulda-shoulda-coulda talk is a good idea.

I am siding with peyton on this one, and the AIR is how we win. We know we can run, but the pass isnt what they expect.

Heres a good quote......

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Not practically. Literally. 9-0 when Turner goes over 100.

Look, if you want to see how to score point on the Pats, look at the Buffalo game, not the one where they only gave up 1 TD. How did the Bills do it? Wow, they used their excellent QB Trent Edwards... Oh wait, no, that's not how they did it. They did it by bringing a guy named Fred Jackson on the scene, running the ball, passing to the running back behind the line of scrimmage, staying in the no-huddle, tiring out the big defensive tackles of the Pats, and not letting the guys on the interior of that defense get a break. We need to come out in the no-huddle, let Ryan read the defense, and since he'll be watching plenty of film on the Pats, he'll know what to do. Ryan is WAY smarter than Edwards, I'd be willing to say, and he's also got a better skill set. If we run the no-huddle, pass when coverage presents the option, but rush and tire out their D-line, the offense will not be the reason for our losing.

On defense, play well in the red zone. Bend but don't break is going to do wonders in this game, I think. I expect to see Gostkowski kick 3 or 4 FG's, that's why I'm starting HIM in my fantasy league. If we let them get TD's, we're done, but FG's we can outscore.

The Bills had 90 yards rushing, and 25 of that was on 2 scrambles by Trent Edwards.

Of all the coaches and personnel execs who have learned at the elbow of Bill Belichick, none has had the runaway success of Thomas Dimitroff.

Dimitroff has helped turn around the Falcons almost instantly, and he brings his 2-0 team to Foxborough with an opportunity to confirm that the Falcons are for real, and that the age of the Patriots is coming to an end.

But there’s too much pride in New England, and no cornerbacks as good as Darrelle Revis in Atlanta. So while the Falcons are still very much for real, the Patriots simply will refuse to fall to 1-2.

PFT Week 3 picks

Just another perspective from a non-Falcon source. I agree with some of this, but believe the score will not be "Pick: Patriots, 34-20".

My feelings are that we should run first, but also take a couple of shots deep along with some Gonzo, to keep them honest. If Ryan can burn them once or twice for big gains, and we can score first or have a lead at the half, start playing the clock and ask the Defence for a save. Keep Snelling in there for some pass plays like last week. White and Jenkins are going to have to make catches. Come back for the ball, and hold onto them like our new (old) TE.

does anyone notice how our offense struggled against miami when we couldnt run the ball??? but in carolina game we looked unstoppable and had 150 yards running?

Dude, we looked unstoppable because Ryan went 21-27. It took Turner 28 carries just to gain 105 yards and 1 TD. That's not a good thing