First Road Game of the Season

Knight of God

Now unlike many of you I honestly feel as though the team played their butts off. Yeah we're a little inconsistant in some areas, but thats not the most important thing. We are going against the Patriots at Foxboro. This is the team that gets away with a few things and seems to have refs in their back pockets. A clearly hostile environment.

This is the REAL test. Miami and the Panthers aren't normally considered weak, but how strong are we really? Lets start at the top...

Matt Ryan: What do we know so far? There isn't a pass that he can't make, he super athletic, but most of all he seems like a football genius. He makes few mistakes and is quick to go into action. Few weaknesses here and not easily shaken.

The Run Attack: No I didn't say Turner because I get it. Have you ever tried to tackle a 250lb man who was only 5'10"? No? How about pushing a dead car up a hill while its in neutral? No? Have you been hit in the stomach or lower? We all have. This is what he provides when he gets 1-3yds. A punch in the stomach, a big hurt. This wears on in the late game when the defense starts saying, "Olay!!!" Better yet, what happens when you bring in the fresh legged Norwood or Snelling? 4-6yd runs and then some. Add in a 6' 250lb FB to the equation and now you have a defense who will get tired by the 2nd quarter if these guys are run regardless of the results. Lets not forget that Snelling is great on the draw and the screen and Mughelli is an extra receiving body. He will be open a lot if the Pats know whats good for them...LOL

The Receiving Corps: What happens when all five receivers on the roster may catch the ball and your TE can play different positions? FL, SE, TE, H-Back, FB, and SR? You have someone left open in the flats. There will be mismatches with Mayo out. A. Thomas has proven to be highly overrated and it shows best in Baltimore as Lewis has gotten bigger, stronger, and faster in his old age. Who will cover Gonzalez in Foxboro? Thomas? Meriweather? The CB's? Then who will cover Roddy White? Okay, then who gets Jenkins? What if you have White, Jenkins, Booker, Gonzalez, and Snelling in the game? This happened last week and it had great results, I'm not sure what the defensive answer will be but this can also leave open some good run plays. See: The Run Attack above.

The O-Line: I am hard pressed to use names that much this year. Why? We are more than just a couple of players, we are what the Patriots were. A young team full of players who can get you a 1st even though they may only be okay by themselves. This O-Line is unpenetrable on the left side and gnarly on the right. The run blocking is nasty as all get out and the pass blocking is solid. This weak we face a team who doesn't have the P-Rush abilities of Miami. Expect a lot of frustration from the Pats, particularly A. Thomas who gets emotional penalties. They will get worn down pretty fast in this game if we pound the ball.

The D-Line: John Abraham and Kroy Biermann stands out in this group. You also have Johnson and Babineaux in the middle. All four of these guys have been a terror this year, but as we all know, the NE front five are pretty stout when guarding against a four man rush. It will be interesting to see if Sidbury gets any time and I've heard that Anderson and davis will both be manning the middle sometimes. Trey lewis will also be suiting up. So, where I think that our guys are going to stop the Patriots somewhat ailing run game, I am not going to take them lightly. Something outside of Kroy and Abe's impressive game one numbers will have to happen. Brady is good at drawing guys offsides and can eat clock with his style of play, I mean he makes Phillip Rivers look average. The key to stopping Brady is pass rush, can we do it with our guys? Will we move to the 3-4? Will it be the same awful Abe, Babineaux, Anderson set-up for D-Line? We will have to wait and see.

Mike Peterson: I could have said LB corps but Peterson has shown up as a play disruptor. I believe that he will do again. I would not be surprised if he blitzed a little bit and moreover if Nicholas (has played DE for us) may be blitzed. Lofton is going to be Lofton. He's quick, fast, smart, and puts on the hurt, but the concern is the pass rush.

The Secondary: With Williams and Coleman I feel semi-comfortable with this group and I sincerely believe that if Houston plays a notch better than the last two games he will actually shut Welker down. We are facing Moss, Welker, and Galloway and that spells trouble for the secondary, but no worries...if they can at least cover their guys for 2 seconds the P-Rush may come on as Brady is not very mobile.

ST's: Elam cannot come with his A- game because this game may be decided on a FG or two.

In short this is the first game that will be played out of town and everyone is going to have to come with a nasty mentality. They have to be that cousin who won't wipe their feet on the rug and take off their shoes. They have to light up their cigarettes in the livingroom and dump their ashes on the brand new carpet. They have to go in the refrigerator and fix a ham and cheese sandwich without permission and after using the toilet and not washing their hands. In other words, they have to dominate and leave it all on the field.

Thank you.

This post was inspired by falconchef

Great writeup and I pretty much am in agreement(I wanted to use agreeance, but Firefox told me it wasn't a word... ruling?)

I feel very confident in our offensive abilities, trying to refrain from being cocky about it. I don't think we've shown what we can truly do yet, and we still have a pretty easy time going down field on what is the 14th and 15th ranked defenses in the NFL.

My biggest concern is pass rush. If we get a pass rush, then our secondary looks good, and our linebacker's can play a tad bit more aggressive and try to be opportunistic. If the pass rush is effective and we get to Brady early and often, this game is a lock imo. If we don't, then I see it as a toss-up shoot out.

So my predictions at this point is that win or lose, Falcons gain attention. People will start favoring us in the NFC as a legitimate contender.

With pass rush: 35-21 Atlanta

Without pass rush both team will score around 30-35 points, who wins? Who knows?

Great Thread

I would first like to point out that with a buisness minded , no nonsense coaching staff I can only expect an A+ effort from our team. Its very clear that the defense is without a doubt the key to this victory . If (and thats a BIG if ) our D line plays like someone kicked their young child, then we take it to them early and often. I point to two players who must play outstanding this week and they are Houston and Biermann , I say those two in particularly due to the fact that we know what ABE will bring and we also know that H23 will have to cover one of the most gifted recievers in the Game. With all that said I see Matty having a big game due to their lack of passrush, add in a lil Micheal Turner, Roddy and Gonzo and thats the icing on the cake. The Patriots are angry, at home and backed by a group of refs who will probably do everthing in their power to sustain the golden boys and usher them in to the victory lane.

Dispite all we will WIN this game if we start the 1st quarter as if we are down 14 -0 , In the words of Smitty "Hungrey and Humble".

GO BIRDS !!!

A huge part of the Pats dominance has been their outstanding special teams play. So far the Falcons have shown that they are just as potent in this area in 2009 as they were in 2008 outclassing even the Pats. If the special teams show up big again, then the Falcons can win handily even if they net out with somewhat lower yardage totals (as they did against the Panthers.)

As usual turnovers will likely be the key to this game. The other key is big plays. NE would historically have the edge here and while the 2009 Falcons haven't shown us much in the way of big plays yet, they certainly seem to me to be just as capable as the Pats at breaking off some long gainers.

If the Falcons do lay am egg, it will almost certainly be due to turnovers and/or big plays. In a "grind it out" game, the Birds should prevail.

The way that I hear it is that this is going to spell trouble for players who do not perform. There ARE in fact some guys sitting in the center of a bubble that is about to burst. I hear that will be blitzing a little and Anderson is actually used for his big frame to wear down the RT. This could be great for Kroy who comes in on pass rushing downs as the LE and possibly Sidbury who has seen some snaps.Trey Lewis will be in quite a bit and Davis and Anderson will man the middle. I have also been told to erase what I've seen in the past two games because we are coming out with some major changes in the rotation and how we play.

Great write- up, but what does this mean?

...A. Thomas has proven to be highly overrated and it shows best in Baltimore as Lewis has gotten bigger, stronger, and faster in his old age...

What?

I think it has something to do with the notion that when Thomas was still in Baltimore, there was talk that he was actually the best LB there at the time, and was in fact carrying Lewis. Lewis has a bad year or two at that time that he attributed to not having a big DT. I might be piecing a few things together inaccurately, but I vaguely remember discussion on the Thomas/Lewis issue. Since A. Thomas went to New England, he hasn't done much of anything on the level he was expected.

The way that I hear it is that this is going to spell trouble for players who do not perform. There ARE in fact some guys sitting in the center of a bubble that is about to burst. I hear that will be blitzing a little and Anderson is actually used for his big frame to wear down the RT. This could be great for Kroy who comes in on pass rushing downs as the LE and possibly Sidbury who has seen some snaps.Trey Lewis will be in quite a bit and Davis and Anderson will man the middle. I have also been told to erase what I've seen in the past two games because we are coming out with some major changes in the rotation and how we play.

Seriously, how you know? I do accept pm's btw