Falcons scouting DT 6'2 300lbs D'Anthony Smith

atljbo

- Louisiana Tech is not considered a "small school" rather one of the smaller programs in Division IA. Yet they have one of the best NFL prospects in the state, which says a lot. Scouts have been hammering through the school to watch D'Anthony Smith the past month. The defensive tackle is athletic and incredibly strong at the point. He possesses the size to get consideration as a two-gap end. Seven teams including the New York Giants, Tampa Bay Bucs, Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars have been scouting Smith hard since August.

Ive heard that D'Anthony Smith plays just like Babs and Peria Jerry....... The guy is one of those fast shut the gap type DT.....

I think D'Anthony Smith will be a 3rd round pick in next years draft.

I was also told that the Falcons is also scouting 6'6 255lbs DE Austen Lane (Murry State) hard also..

rewatching the highlights and what's really interesting about Smith is that he plays wayyyy lighter than his measurables. he shows a nice burst on all of the plays and takes perfect pursuit angles. i like that he's versatile, too, seeing as how they lined him up at defensive end on a couple of plays. I wouldnt be opposed to drafting him in the 3rd if available. If he continues to impress like he has, he could very well go in the second.

Honestly I think we need bigger DT's. 300 lbs is not considered big, especially if you are talking about a short guy that is not going to have room to get bigger.

I would like a guy more along the dimensions of Vince Oghobaase from Duke. I hope to catch a Duke game this year to see how he looks. He had a good Junior year and hopefully he will follow up with a good senior year.

• 2 weeks later...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/10/05/pauline.risers.sliders/

Risers

Anthony Smith/DT/Louisiana Tech: NFL scouts don't often have a reason to travel through Louisiana Tech but thanks to Smith they've been coming by the busload this season. The powerful defensive tackle is flying up draft boards and his performance against Hawaii was outstanding. Smith clogged the middle of the line, forcing Hawaii to double team and often triple team blocks in order to slow him down. The stats proved how dominant Smith was as Hawaii finished the game with -7 yards rushing with just two first downs on the ground.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/10/05/pauline.risers.sliders/

Risers

Anthony Smith/DT/Louisiana Tech: NFL scouts don't often have a reason to travel through Louisiana Tech but thanks to Smith they've been coming by the busload this season. The powerful defensive tackle is flying up draft boards and his performance against Hawaii was outstanding. Smith clogged the middle of the line, forcing Hawaii to double team and often triple team blocks in order to slow him down. The stats proved how dominant Smith was as Hawaii finished the game with -7 yards rushing with just two first downs on the ground.

Jesus I'm going to have to watch that game. Hawaii is no power running team, but if he can take doubles like that then he would be a huge asset at NT for us. Jerry and Babs are too similar in that they do well versus 1 on 1 blocks but both struggle when doubled. Smith sounds like he holds up fine and clogs up the line, and that is JUST what we need.

Jesus I'm going to have to watch that game. Hawaii is no power running team, but if he can take doubles like that then he would be a huge asset at NT for us. Jerry and Babs are too similar in that they do well versus 1 on 1 blocks but both struggle when doubled. Smith sounds like he holds up fine and clogs up the line, and that is JUST what we need.

I like Brian Price more but we would probably have to spend a 1st or very early 2nd to get him, which means that we would get a DE in the later rounds maybe Austin Lane

D'Anthony Smith is really good..... He is country strong similar to Peria Jerry..... To be honest he is in the same exact mode as Peria Jerry and Babs..... Coach Smith want guys that will shoot their gaps and attack.... They feel like if they effectively rotate all 3 of the guys, they stay fresh...... The problem is that D'Anthony Smith will get drafted in the early 3rd round..... The guy is really good....

I love Price too, but he is a Jr. Don't know if he is gonna declare. I hope he does.

He should declare not much use staying especially with the pending CBA situation, I think alot of Jrs are going to declare, if we can trade up back into the 2nd and getEverson Griffen and Brian Price in the first we would be set on the Dline 4 real. I am talking about Viking, NY Giants Dline potential Dline.

D'Anthony Smith is really good..... He is country strong similar to Peria Jerry..... To be honest he is in the same exact mode as Peria Jerry and Babs..... Coach Smith want guys that will shoot their gaps and attack.... They feel like if they effectively rotate all 3 of the guys, they stay fresh...... The problem is that D'Anthony Smith will get drafted in the early 3rd round..... The guy is really good....

I like D Smith but i think he will be a Second round pick, unless the Jrs declare then i can see him falling to an early 3rd, so we might have to move back to the 2nd to ensure we can draft him. I honestly like the dude he played well against Hawaii, he looked very quick and strong and was able to handle himself against double teams, but Hawaii didnt run much so hopefully the game against Nevada this work will showcase his run stopping ability. My favorite DT Prospect is still Brain Price, I like him more than Suh.

He should declare not much use staying especially with the pending CBA situation, I think alot of Jrs are going to declare, if we can trade up back into the 2nd and getEverson Griffen and Brian Price in the first we would be set on the Dline 4 real. I am talking about Viking, NY Giants Dline potential Dline.

Only ways we can get a 2nd rounder would be trading down from the 1st or by dealing our 3rd and 4th rounders for a 2nd. I definitely don't want to do the latter, and if we deal out of the 1st I think we will pass up our chance at getting an impact LDE that we really do need. If one isn't available or if we don't want to draft one of the guys available (Hardy might fall under that category) I would definitely be in favor of dealing down to get another 3rd rounder since it figures to be a deep draft. But that is a draft day deal that you really can't do much to anticipate, especially in October.

And as someone else said, Price may not declare. If he's going to go in the 2nd round since it is such a deep draft whereas he would be one of the top players at his position if he had a good, healthy senior year... why would he declare?

Only ways we can get a 2nd rounder would be trading down from the 1st or by dealing our 3rd and 4th rounders for a 2nd. I definitely don't want to do the latter, and if we deal out of the 1st I think we will pass up our chance at getting an impact LDE that we really do need. If one isn't available or if we don't want to draft one of the guys available (Hardy might fall under that category) I would definitely be in favor of dealing down to get another 3rd rounder since it figures to be a deep draft. But that is a draft day deal that you really can't do much to anticipate, especially in October.

And as someone else said, Price may not declare. If he's going to go in the 2nd round since it is such a deep draft whereas he would be one of the top players at his position if he had a good, healthy senior year... why would he declare?

He is going to be a 1st round pick this year trust me on that, the kid is a baller, much better prospect than Marvin Austin IMO, just sayin. I was saying that if we draft Price then i dont mind getting a prospect like Austin Lane in the 3rd round, he has alot of potential to be an Everydown DE.

i like Brain Price also but no way could u like him better then Ndamukong Suh... Ndamukong Suh remind me so much like Kevin Williams......

I would go nuts if Ndamukong Suh slipped to us in the first round but dude is a top 15 pick.....

He is going to be a 1st round pick this year trust me on that, the kid is a baller, much better prospect than Marvin Austin IMO, just sayin. I was saying that if we draft Price then i dont mind getting a prospect like Austin Lane in the 3rd round, he has alot of potential to be an Everydown DE.

I'm very high on Austin Lane.... i dont think he is going in the 3rd round... I think he will have a similar situation as Lawrence Sidbury.... I think he would be on the board in the 4th round..... Ive seen the guy play.... He has the tools...I like his bullrush move but he also has a couple of good speed rush moves..... Like Sidbury tho... He is raw but has the tool....

The thing is tho... If we can get Derrick Morgan in the 1str round.... The its a wrap.... I haven't seen a college DE use his hands that good since Mario Williams.... Derrick Morgan is special.

I see what you're saying now. One guy I like in that same range (I don't know where Lane is projected but I know he is from Murray State, a small school, so he is probably not on a lot of radars. Frankly all I know is that he has good size and speed, but I haven't read about him at all and I definitely haven't watched him.) is Rahim Alem, DE, LSU. I have only watched part of a game live, but even though he doesn't have great size (6'3", 260) he stands up well at the POA, uses his hands well, sheds blocks well and is quick off the ball. I think that if he added some weight to get up around 270 it would help him sustain against NFL OT's and his quickness off the ball along with his pass rushing ability and hand usage would make him a problematic player for NFL RT's to deal with.

My only question is if he would be able to hold up against RT's with NFL strength versus college strength. However in the SEC he faces some pretty good NFL talent, so I am comfortable in saying that he could hold up at the POA in the NFL as a LE. Obviously I have to watch him play more before I can be sure of that, or at least more sure, but he is a guy that I definitely need to watch.

If Lane ever makes it on to ESPN 360 I will be sure to watch him though, as of now I don't think I have access to any articles, notes or footage of him. And with junior declarations I am fairly confident that Alem will be around in the 3rd when we select. I love Muckelroy as a prospect, but I like what Alem brings to the table as well.

If Lane ever makes it on to ESPN 360 I will be sure to watch him though, as of now I don't think I have access to any articles, notes or footage of him.

I got you bro... Ive seen a couple of games with Austen Lane in them.... The guy has allot of speed and potential

Articles

Article on Austen Lane

Austen Lane's info

Highlight

Austen Lane highlight

i like Brain Price also but no way could u like him better then Ndamukong Suh... Ndamukong Suh remind me so much like Kevin Williams......

I would go nuts if Ndamukong Suh slipped to us in the first round but dude is a top 15 pick.....

I'm very high on Austin Lane.... i dont think he is going in the 3rd round... I think he will have a similar situation as Lawrence Sidbury.... I think he would be on the board in the 4th round..... Ive seen the guy play.... He has the tools...I like his bullrush move but he also has a couple of good speed rush moves..... Like Sidbury tho... He is raw but has the tool....

The thing is tho... If we can get Derrick Morgan in the 1str round.... The its a wrap.... I haven't seen a college DE use his hands that good since Mario Williams.... Derrick Morgan is special.

I need to watch more Suh 4 real man, I guess i am just loving the way the Brian Price Plays, he reminds me of a stonger Peria Jerry. I agree with you in regards to Derrick Morgan, hopefully we can snag him, if not trading back to get Everson Griffen or Brian Price might be cool too. I really truly dont want another raw prospect that is still growing into their frame, I would rather get a raw DT than a Raw DE, we already have those type of DE's in Beirmann and Sidbury.

I need to watch more Suh 4 real man, I guess i am just loving the way the Brian Price Plays, he reminds me of a stonger Peria Jerry. I agree with you in regards to Derrick Morgan, hopefully we can snag him, if not trading back to get Everson Griffen or Brian Price might be cool too. I really truly dont want another raw prospect that is still growing into their frame, I would rather get a raw DT than a Raw DE, we already have those type of DE's in Beirmann and Sidbury.

if we trade back (1st round pick) and pickup a 2nd and 3rd round pick.... I would rather draft 6'5 270lbs DE Greg Romeus.... Dude remind me of Mathias Kiwanuka (one of the nest under-rated DE's in the league).

I like Everson Griffen also but i like Greg Romeus a little more.

if we trade back (1st round pick) and pickup a 2nd and 3rd round pick.... I would rather draft 6'5 270lbs DE Greg Romeus.... Dude remind me of Mathias Kiwanuka (one of the nest under-rated DE's in the league).

I watched on Pitt game, he didnt flast to me like Griffen did. Griffen is equally as fericiuos(sp) against the run as he is the pass. Griffen has speed and size (280Lbs), and has a good motor. I will continue to keep my eye on Romeus, but Griffen is my second favorite DE prospect behind Morgan.

I watched on Pitt game, he didnt flast to me like Griffen did. Griffen is equally as fericiuos(sp) against the run as he is the pass. Griffen has speed and size (280lbs), and has a good motor. I will continue to keep my eye on Romeus, but Griffen is my second favorite DE prospect behind Morgan.

You saw the Pit vs Louisville game (last week) ? Greg Romeus had 5 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks.... Romeus has played great his last 3 games.

Man I really do not like Romeus. I really think he needs to stay for his senior season. He has some quickness off the snap but not a lot, but I watched him get blocked (and handled) by a TE versus the run 3 plays in a row versus Buffalo.

He looked better from what I watched of the Louisville game, but frankly he could have looked better if he shed blocks from a TE and got involved in the play compared to the Buffalo game. I have no idea who Buffalo's TE is but I doubt he is a Brandon Pettigrew 2.0, just an extension of the offensive line when he blocks. But he got moved by him, didn't shed and couldn't get any push against him. It was a little pathetic to be honest, I could barely watch it. He just doesn't show me much of an ability to disengage versus the run and he has similar issues versus the passer which negates some of his speed off the edge.

I'll try to watch the Louisville game since he had a good game, but I would be pretty surprised if he declared this year. He could use another year of work on his hand usage and what not, because without significantly better hand usage and ability to shed he will not be a good pass rusher or starting DE in the NFL in my opinion.

And btw thanks for the Austin Lane article and highlight video. The article was a glowing recommendation and I see why he might remind you a bit of Sidbury (I thought I remembered you saying that), but I think it is a bit different because Sidbury is shorter and thus he doesn't have the frame to add weight to help solidify him versus the run. But Lane is 6'5" or 6'6" and only 260, so he has room for 10 pounds of weight without a doubt in my opinion. If there is ever a Murray State game on ESPN 360 I will definitely watch him, but I think Lane's true test will come when he is in all start games after the season occur (maybe he will even make the Senior Bowl). If he plays well against the good players from other programs he will really legitimize himself as a NFL prospect and not just a big fish in a small pond. Those I should be able to see/read extensively about so that is good. :)

Edited by NFL Draft Fan 07

And btw thanks for the Austin Lane article and highlight video. The article was a glowing recommendation and I see why he might remind you a bit of Sidbury (I thought I remembered you saying that), but I think it is a bit different because Sidbury is shorter and thus he doesn't have the frame to add weight to help solidify him versus the run. But Lane is 6'5" or 6'6" and only 260, so he has room for 10 pounds of weight without a doubt in my opinion. If there is ever a Murray State game on ESPN 360 I will definitely watch him, but I think Lane's true test will come when he is in all start games after the season occur (maybe he will even make the Senior Bowl). If he plays well against the good players from other programs he will really legitimize himself as a NFL prospect and not just a big fish in a small pond. Those I should be able to see/read extensively about so that is good. :)

Ive heard that Austen Lane is up to 270lbs..... But its that Michael Johnson 270lbs (still super skinny) ..... Lane has allot of upside..... But yea... It all depends on how Austen Lane perform during the pre-draft things.

Ive heard that Austen Lane is up to 270lbs..... But its that Michael Johnson 270lbs (still super skinny) ..... Lane has allot of upside..... But yea... It all depends on how Austen Lane perform during the pre-draft things.

I didnt watch the highlight, nor have i seen a game, but i just feel like we need a more polished product. I think that Griffen can be a viable solution for us at LDE and we could probably snag him with a early 2nd or late 1st.