Belichick praises Dimitroff's work with Falcons

atljbo

Belichick praises Dimitroff's work with Falcons

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH – Thomas Dimitroff is set to return to New England this weekend for the first time as the Falcons general manager.

He was the Patriots' director of college scouting for five years."Thomas has done a great job of putting a team together," New England coach Bill Belichick said. "Every time they make a move or do something whether if its draft a guy, sign a guy like [Michael] Turner or trade for a guy like [Tony] Gonzalez, or get a guy like Brian Williams, it's always something that makes their team significantly better."

Dimitroff and Belichick go back to his days with the Cleveland Browns, when Dimitroff's father, Tom, was a scout for the team.

"Of course Thomas, as I could relate to, a son that liked what his father was doing and was interested in it, he's paid his dues through the years," Belichick said. "He certainly had a lot to do with the shaping of our roster. The grades we put on our draftable players and our draft boards, utilizing our opportunities to improve our personnel on the football team."

Norwood doesn't practice

Running back Jerious Norwood didn't practice Thursday. If he's unable to play Sunday against the Patriots, fullback Verron Haynes, who was inactive Sunday, might be pressed into duty.

Walker was close

When the Falcons made their original cuts to set their 53-man roster, defensive Vance Walker came close to making the team. The seventh-round pick from Georgia Tech was added to the practice squad.

With the season-ending injury to Peria Jerry, Walker was added to the 53-man roster.

"Vance has the skill set that we are looking for at defensive tackle," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "He's going to get an opportunity to compete this week with Thomas Johnson and Trey Lewis."

Surgery corner

Wide receiver Harry Douglas had surgery last week to repair the ACL in his left knee.

Jerry's surgery for his left knee injury has not been scheduled yet.

"He's been in the training room the last [few] days," Smith said. "It will be a little bit before he has his surgery. ... We don't have a time frame for when [Jerry's surgery] will be done."

Smith said expect to see more of Chauncey Davis at defensive tackle with the lost of Jerry. He has played some tackle and defensive end this year.

Both played some DT last year... Chauncey may get more snaps at DT but i think both will fill in as the pass rushing DT next to Babs

To Be honest i would prefer neither, unless Babs plays the position better than he did last game, I saw him get pancaked a few times last game when he was lined up at DT.

Both played some DT last year... Chauncey may get more snaps at DT but i think both will fill in as the pass rushing DT next to Babs

No matter how you rotate them, Im actually ok with the D-line. As a rotational group, they are pretty strong. Babs and Chauncey at DT, Abe ane Beerman as ends. TJ and JA at DT and Sid and Chauncey on the ends... there are a number of rotations that could be successful.

man, Norwood must have really gotten his bell rung pretty good......

We could sure use him Sunday................. :o

You know, Norwood is one of my favorite Falcons but I don't get this injury-thing with him. He was an every down back for Mississippi State in the tough SEC and never had any significant injury problems.................

Do you guys think they are moving C Davis inside because he isn't cutting it at DE and they are just oing to try and salvage something from all the money they are paying him? They certainly have lowered his snap counts and many here feel that is "very telling" if you read between the lines of course..

I'm just curious, since I know another player who was linng up inside at times and these same exact things were said about him.

Personally, I am convinced they both have skill sets that allow them to be a little versitile and I think that is actually a good thing in both cases.....but there I go again appying the same standards to both situations where I know others wil have completely opposirte standards based on the individual player.

Do you guys think they are moving C Davis inside because he isn't cutting it at DE and they are just oing to try and salvage something from all the money they are paying him? They certainly have lowered his snap counts and many here feel that is "very telling" if you read between the lines of course..

I'm just curious, since I know another player who was linng up inside at times and these same exact things were said about him.

Personally, I am convinced they both have skill sets that allow them to be a little versitile and I think that is actually a good thing in both cases.....but there I go again appying the same standards to both situations where I know others wil have completely opposirte standards based on the individual player.

Maybe... why is Busterson's snap count lowered?

I don't care how the Pats have been playing this year, you have to expect a tough game, and all of our guys need to show up to have a chance at winning.

Belichick is a good coach, maybe a bit arrogant, but you can't deny what he has done in NE. He is also smart enough to not come out and bad mouth a well liked member of another team just before a tough game in his schedule.