Flu shots.....

mookie3127

my employer sent out a memo to all 1200ish employees that we would be required to get the flu shot this year or be forced to wear a mask from november 1st through march 31st. those declining the shot and refusing to wear the mask would be terminated. i work in health care, but am in IT, spend about 75% of my time in my office, and rarely a around patients that may be at our clinic. i'm guessing that my last flu shot of any kind was back when i was around 10 or so and have never had the flu to begin with. i get a sinus infection about 3 times a year every year, but aside from that, have called in sick 1 day in the 6 years i've worked for this company

can they legally require you to have a shot or wear a mask and terminate you on the spot if you choose not to do either? i haven't been keeping up with the h1n1 crap b/c i think it's being blown way out of proportion, but hadn't heard of this happening elsewhere.

I got the flu shot last year for the first time, and for the first time... dealt with recurring colds. This year, I'm not getting the flu shot(unless my employer makes me, also in health care), but I've quit smoking... so hopefully... I'll be okay. I couldn't believe how often I was sick last year though.

The state of Georgia is an "employment at will" state and generally speaking that means you can be fired at anytime and for any reason.

Georgia is a Right to work state, basically they can fire you for farting if they wanted to. :P Heck those Flu shots are like 24 bucks, my company did it yesterday and I was absent and they were paying for it, I would have got one in a heartbeat. You don't like needles? they have the one you can inhale in your nose. Its tons better. :)

Georgia is a Right to work state, basically they can fire you for farting if they wanted to. :P Heck those Flu shots are like 24 bucks, my company did it yesterday and I was absent and they were paying for it, I would have got one in a heartbeat. You don't like needles? they have the one you can inhale in your nose. Its tons better. :)

the needles don't bother me. it just ticks me off that they feel that they can give employees an ultimatum of do this or get canned. i guess a lot of it goes back to working for a sh itty company.

the needles don't bother me. it just ticks me off that they feel that they can give employees an ultimatum of do this or get canned. i guess a lot of it goes back to working for a sh itty company.

Well you can say ultimatum or they care about you? If its a freebie I would take it. The flu sounds nasty this year. You can always call in sick and say you got the flu anyway and go look for a job and and get one and quit and say I used the time to find a new job thanks. :P

But jobs are SO HARD TO COME BY right now, I would do anything to keep mine, I just got into our server group and the pay sucks but what I'm learning I will make a good bit in a couple of years. ;)

I feel like the right for you to be secure in your person should not affect your employment. People have differing opinions when it comes to vaccines, but nothing should ever be forced into your body without your consent, and your job shouldn't depend on it, IMO. And I agree the h1n1 is being blown way out of proportion. Vaccine makers are loving it, though.