I'm calling it - The Falcons win comfortably on Sunday

Peyton

The Patriots defense isn't ready to compete with the Falcons offense, it's really that simple. The Patriots defensive stats look pretty decent so far this year, even though they could easily be 0-2, but the offenses the Patriots have played are average at best, simply not in the same league with the Falcons offense.

I've seen some members on this board refer to the Pats defense as old, and that's not really true. They got rid of most of their old guys in the offseason. Unfortunately for them, that also means they got rid of most of their experience and talent.

The defensive line of the Patriots is solid and experienced, with Jarvis Green, Vince Wilfork, and Ty Warren. The problem is that they traded the one true playmaker they had in that group, Richard Seymour. In the long run, that might turn out to be a good move by the Pats, but in the short term, it makes their d line weaker without question. Still the best unit on their defense by far.

The Patriots have a very good ROLB in Adalius Thomas, who most everybody is familiar with. Currently, the other three starting LB positions are filled by players who are inexperienced and average athletes - Pierre Woods, Eric Alexander, and Gary Guyton. We are talking about 3 guys who all came into the league as undrafted free agents and between the 3 of them had 5 career starts in the NFL coming into this season. I think the Falcons are going to be able to run on these guys, but I am even more confident that Ryan will exploit these guys with Booker and Gonzo in the middle of the field. These guys might be a solid LB group by the end of the season, but there not ready for this offense, not at this point in the season.

The Patriots cornerback group is comprised of a has been (Shawn Springs), a never really was (Leigh Bodden), and an isn't yet (Darius Butler). Bodden and Springs are to be respected but not feared. Actually forget that, Leigh Bodden was cut by the Lions in February. The point is none of these guys are playmakers at this point in their career, and all three of them are new to this system, so they aren't going to hold up against Roddy and friends. The one playmaker they do have in their secondary is Brandon Meriweather, and he is slowed by an ankle injury and might not even play.

So in review, the Patriots lost 6 starters from their defense last year, and they replaced them with average football players. Mayo is out, and he too has been replaced by an average football player. If Meriweather misses Sunday, he will be replaced by another average football player (Brandon McGowan) who spent all of last year on injured reserve with an ankle injury.

This is the least talented and least experienced defense the Falcons have played this year, and the Falcons are going to smoke them.

The other side of the ball is a miuch shorter discussion. In my mind, Brady is the best QB ever but he looks like a completely different person right now. Against the Jets, he actually looked.....and I can't believe I am going to say this.......scared. His footwork was a disaster and even on plays where the Jets provided no pressure at all, he often missed the receiver.

He missed Welker a bit, but that was a bit overblown because the rookie Julian Edelman stepped in and looked like Welker's identical twin. The one thing Edelman doesn't have though is the chemistry with Brady, so it will effect the Pats if Welker misses again, and he hasn't practiced all week so I think he will miss, regardless of what he is telling the media. Everybody knows the Pats lie about injuries.

The Patriots, as they often have done, filled in some depth on their offense this year with veteran free agent aquisitions in Fred Taylor and Joey Galloway. I thought those were tremendous moves at the time, but after watching the Patriots first two games, it looks like Galloway has nothing left. He has looked terrible in the first two games. Tayloir has been solid but unspectacular. The truth is that it is hard for a back up running back to make an impact on an offense that averages 50 pass attempts per game, as the Patriots are through 2 games.

The Patriots will score some on Sunday, but Tom Brady's psychological state with regards to his injury isn't such where he is ready to consistently make the throws throughout the game.

Brady will lead the Pats on about 3 TD drives, but it won't be enough. Falcons win 38 - 21.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're right, but I thought the Falcons would win comfortably last week and that turned out not to be the case.

Still, I think there are mismatches to exploit in the Pats' secondary.

Well I thought last week would be a little bit more of a struggle than it was actually.

Against the Patriots, he actually looked.....and I can't believe I am going to say this.......scared. His footwork was a disaster and even on plays where the Jets provided no pressure at all, he often missed the receiver.

He missed Welker a bit, but that was a bit overblown because the rookie Julian Edelman stepped in and looked like Welker's identical twin. The one thing Edelman doesn't have though is the chemistry with Ryan, so it will effect the Pats if Welker misses again, and he hasn't practiced all week so I think he will miss, regardless of what he is telling the media. Everybody knows the Pats lie about injuries.

Good read, I hadn't realized the Patriots defense was in that much shambles.

Also, might wanna fix the two things I bolded.

I read in one of the articles about the loss of Josh Mcdaniels on the Patriots offense. I think that this might have something to do with the Patroits disappointing offensive production thus far, along with Brady rust. Just something to think about. I agree with you Peyton, the Pats have lost alot of talent on the defensive side of the ball, and i really think that Belly might have shot himself in the foot on this one because they had a choice in the matter.

Well Peyton,

It's just like last week against the panthers, teams in this league will play harder than what you see on "paper". I think we can win, but honestly they match up with us pretty well with that 3-4. Plus Bellicheat disguises coverages with the best of them. this will not be a cakewalk for either team, but be honest, how does Moss vs. houston or Welker in the slot vs. Sugar Nipps instill confidence in you? This game will come down to our offenses ability to score on almost every drive.

I hope you're right, but I thought the Falcons would win comfortably last week and that turned out not to be the case.

Still, I think there are mismatches to exploit in the Pats' secondary.

WE should have scored at least to other TD but we had alot of penalites in one drive and Turner had a fumble in the Red zone too.

Well Peyton,

It's just like last week against the panthers, teams in this league will play harder than what you see on "paper". I think we can win, but honestly they match up with us pretty well with that 3-4. Plus Bellicheat disguises coverages with the best of them. this will not be a cakewalk for either team, but be honest, how does Moss vs. houston or Welker in the slot vs. Sugar Nipps instill confidence in you? This game will come down to our offenses ability to score on almost every drive.

Well we are going to double Moss, no question. I don't think Welker is going to play. The Pats will move the ball, I just don't think they will be able to keep pace with the Falcons because Brady doesn't appear to be fully recovered from his injury psychologically. I don't know if you saw Brady against the Jets, but I think the people who dis see that game will at least know what I am talking about.

Well we are going to double Moss, no question. I don't think Welker is going to play. The Pats will move the ball, I just don't think they will be able to keep pace with the Falcons because Brady doesn't appear to be fully recovered from his injury psychologically. I don't know if you saw Brady against the Jets, but I think the people who dis see that game will at least know what I am talking about.

He was playing away against a division rival out to "embarrass" the Patriots. The crowd noise was unbelievable. That won't be the case at home.

Just as we saw a different Jake Delhomme this past Sunday from the previous Sunday - so shall we see a different Brady on his home turf with the home crowd.

Yes, we can still win - but we will not be facing the same team that played the Jets - you can pretty much bank that. This will be no walk in the park. In fact, it may be the toughest game on our schedule other than facing the Jets in mid winter. Welker may or may not play - but Edelman steps in quite well for him.

He was playing away against a division rival out to "embarrass" the Patriots. The crowd noise was unbelievable. That won't be the case at home.

Just as we saw a different Jake Delhomme this past Sunday from the previous Sunday - so shall we see a different Brady on his home turf with the home crowd.

Yes, we can still win - but we will not be facing the same team that played the Jets - you can pretty much bank that. This will be no walk in the park. In fact, it may be the toughest game on our schedule other than facing the Jets in mid winter. Welker may or may not play - but Edelman steps in quite well for him.

You make a good point. I guess the only counter I would have to that is that the Patriots had 13 points against the Bills with 5 minutes left in the game, and that game was in Buffalo. The Bills don't have a great defense, and Welker was playing in that game.

I'm not saying the Falcons are going to shut the Pats down, but I don't think they are going to march up and down the field either. I think the Falcons will.

I surely can't wait to find out.

WE should have scored at least to other TD but we had alot of penalites in one drive and Turner had a fumble in the Red zone too.

True, Turner had a turnover, but Peterson forced a fumble on the Panthers a couple of plays later and we got the ball back - took it back down and Turner scored the TD.

I would say the biggest thing that irked me is how they called Roddy's catch incomplete and Williams catch incomplete (instead of the fumble that Peterson caused) but called Rosario's catch a TD. Beyond me.

I read in one of the articles about the loss of Josh Mcdaniels on the Patriots offense. I think that this might have something to do with the Patroits disappointing offensive production thus far, along with Brady rust. Just something to think about. I agree with you Peyton, the Pats have lost alot of talent on the defensive side of the ball, and i really think that Belly might have shot himself in the foot on this one because they had a choice in the matter.

BUMP this post, because this guy is on to something HMMMMMM.....

BUMP this post, because this guy is on to something HMMMMMM.....

LOL I get the feeling you want us to read that part Jaymadd.

I don't know if losing Josh McDaniels hurts or not. I think that Moss getting older, the OL getting older, and Brady getting his knee destroyed hurts them. Either way, right now they look nothing like the 2007 offense.