Who should replace Willie Martinez?

Eddie Dominguez

tenuta's defense was flashy but it left you exposed in the worst of ways. a good qb could shred that defense. also i think defensive coordinator at notre dame is probably more prestigious than anywhere else, so i doubt he would up and leave notre dame for the same position at uga.

I wouldn't call it more prestigious than anywhere else, but it definitely wouldn't be worth leaving for UGA (and this is coming from a Dawg fan). Anyways, I agree about Tenuta being vastly overrated. He's just Willie Martinez with some flashy blitzes thrown in. It's a shame that Miami is playing so well this year (or at least at the moment) because I would love to see Randy Shannon roaming the sidelines between the hedges.

Bama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart (who's a UGA alum and played at Georgia in the late 90's)

But it'll be hard to tear him away from Nick Saban.

I thought Smart and our coaching staff had a falling out when he worked here a few years ago?

And if we're going with and outside source I'd like to see us hire **** Bumpas from TCU.

Will Muschamp has been named the head coach in waiting at Texa, so obviously, no.. Charlie Strong will no doubt leave Florida for a head coaching position in the near future.. Thinking that he would leave Florida to take the same position for a rival is insane.. If we find that an upgrade is needed, I say look within our own coaching staff, Rodney Garner anyone?

Will Muschamp has been named the head coach in waiting at Texa, so obviously, no.. Charlie Strong will no doubt leave Florida for a head coaching position in the near future.. Thinking that he would leave Florida to take the same position for a rival is insane.. If we find that an upgrade is needed, I say look within our own coaching staff, Rodney Garner anyone?

That would be my pick. Last year I thought we should have made a run at Chavis b4 he went to LSU. I don't understand why folks think Muschamp or Strong would leave their current positions.

I

First things first. All of the problems with UGA's defense are not CWM's fault! It is not his fault that are DEs are hungry (pun intended) to be DTs.

It is not his fault that 9 turnovers in the first 3 games have left the defense in horrible positions.

That being said, I am not a CWM fan. I think his schemes lack imagination and he is slow to adjust to what the opposing offense is doing.

If UGA was to replace CWM, Rodney Garner has earned a shot at the job. If not Garner then maybe a young up and comer like Tracey Rocker, who would relate well to the current generation of players. What I do not want is a retread like Joe Kines, another Brian VanGorder, who always seems to be looking for a different job, or a Nick Saban/Bil Belicheck disciple!.

First things first. All of the problems with UGA's defense are not CWM's fault! It is not his fault that are DEs are hungry (pun intended) to be DTs.

It is not his fault that 9 turnovers in the first 3 games have left the defense in horrible positions.

That being said, I am not a CWM fan. I think his schemes lack imagination and he is slow to adjust to what the opposing offense is doing.

If UGA was to replace CWM, Rodney Garner has earned a shot at the job. If not Garner then maybe a young up and comer like Tracey Rocker, who would relate well to the current generation of players. What I do not want is a retread like Joe Kines, another Brian VanGorder, who always seems to be looking for a different job, or a Nick Saban/Bil Belicheck disciple!.

A lot of the fault does lay squarely at the feet of our defensive players. Especially our secondary, which to be fair is pretty young. That shouldn't be an excuse though. We have our front 4 stopping the run, our linebackers playing out of their mind most of the time... but a lack of pressure from the edge and inconsistent success rushing LBers leaves our secondary vulnerable and they've been getting absolutely torched.

So it's a combination of coaching and players. Obviously. Martinez has had some games where our defense just looked stout... and games where we got exposed big time. It's hard to put it on his shoulders, but as a coach he's going to take a hefty share of the blame.

As far as Saban and Belichick goes.... I agree that going after guys in a certain coaching tree is misguided because a coach can only share so much of his methods... most of a coaches success comes from things he can't really teach someone else to teach, because teaching is akin to leadership... some folks are naturals, while acquired leadership will never be as good as the instinctive variety. But Saban and Belichick are both defensive gurus. Saban moreso than Belichick I think.

I'm going to turn into one of those guys for just a minute, but I think our defense would be better served by switching to a 3-4, or a variation of it. We hardly get pressure from the DE spot, and Owens and Atkins (one of them at least) could easily play a 3-4 DE. That would essentially for Martinez to do what he already needs to do, and blitz his LBs and corners more often. Got a ton of speed on the D, and we rarely take advantage of it. I think having a guy in Brandon Smith blitzing from the corner position with 4.2 speed would do wonders for our D, and would save Willie's job in the long run.

I really dislike the 3-4 as a base defense. You really have to have studs in the secondary.

In terms of blitz packages, yeah the 3-4 can dazzle you all day long... but way way waaaay more often than not, because of the way alignments and coverages work in the 3-4, corners get left on an island.

I think if we mixed it up between 4-3 and 3-4 looks we could be successful in situations... but in no way do I believe switching to the 3-4 as our base defense would be beneficial. There's a reason why very very few college teams run a 3-4 or variations out of it.

I really dislike the 3-4 as a base defense. You really have to have studs in the secondary.

In terms of blitz packages, yeah the 3-4 can dazzle you all day long... but way way waaaay more often than not, because of the way alignments and coverages work in the 3-4, corners get left on an island.

I think if we mixed it up between 4-3 and 3-4 looks we could be successful in situations... but in no way do I believe switching to the 3-4 as our base defense would be beneficial. There's a reason why very very few college teams run a 3-4 or variations out of it.

I know what a 3-4 defense does, I don't need it explained to me. I'm not saying making it your strict base defense (my fault, I should have explained further), but we need to try something to get pressure. If you have stout enough DE's in a 3-4, you'll be able to stop the run (Geno and Owens can both play this position), and we have some good LBs to take advantage of this. And, if you blitz in a 4-3, chances are a corner(s) are going to be left on an island, regardless. I actually trust Boykin, Smith, and Miller in the secondary, and chalk up their ineffectiveness to a lack up pressure up front. You're going to get picked apart if a QB has all day to throw, and the guys up front just aren't getting it done.

I know what a 3-4 defense does, I don't need it explained to me. I'm not saying making it your strict base defense (my fault, I should have explained further), but we need to try something to get pressure. If you have stout enough DE's in a 3-4, you'll be able to stop the run (Geno and Owens can both play this position), and we have some good LBs to take advantage of this. And, if you blitz in a 4-3, chances are a corner(s) are going to be left on an island, regardless. I actually trust Boykin, Smith, and Miller in the secondary, and chalk up their ineffectiveness to a lack up pressure up front. You're going to get picked apart if a QB has all day to throw, and the guys up front just aren't getting it done.

Well I agree that Owens and Atkins could be good DE's in a 3-4... but we don't have that big suffocating nose tackle that is oh so very important for a 3-4 to be effective. We do have some good LBs. And I don't mean to come across like we don't have any talent in our secondary, but without consistent pressure on the pocket even our best DBs are going to get turned around.

I like Boykin, I think he has that playmaker ability that will move him into that star role that Asher Allen vacated. Aside from him and Reshad I am pretty shaky on the rest of the guys. Smith is just a true freshman... and while he's blazing fast, it remains to be seen if his instincts are ready for prime time. Miller has a ton of heart and has been pretty solid, but he is I think our shortest player on the team. Not that he's lacking in the speed or strength to be effective, but he lets quite a few catches happen. I wasn't too high on Cuff, but now he's hurt... and Evans is playing for whoever we're playing against it seems.

I will say that one thing I LOVE about our secondary is how physical they are. They come out looking to lay the wood and get in WRs faces. That can go a long way. And I will agree that they would be more effective with pressure up front... but until we start collapsing the pocket and putting people on their back, the scheming really doesn't seem to be helping players that aren't delivering in our secondary.

I mean look at the numbers (not just you... general statement here).... 300+ passing yards against South Carolina, 400+ passing yards against Arkansas. I know Arizona State is down, with their best players leaving for the NFL last year... and we'll probably kill them between the hedges... but man, it's just killing my nerves that we're giving up the yardage we are.

That would be my pick. Last year I thought we should have made a run at Chavis b4 he went to LSU.

I agree Chavis always had a solid D. I also think Garner Will be the first choice of an in house coach. If he does not get this chance I think he will not turn down another job offer.

Saban runs the 3-4 -- corners are left on an island at times, but the pressure on the QB generated by the 3-4 generally prevents the opposing team from exposing that as a weakness. It also helps to have a kid like Cody in the middle to shut down the running game and free up the LBs.

Saban runs the 3-4 -- corners are left on an island at times, but the pressure on the QB generated by the 3-4 generally prevents the opposing team from exposing that as a weakness. It also helps to have a kid like Cody in the middle to shut down the running game and free up the LBs.

Cody is a pure nose tackle... Alabama can pull that off. No one is running by that man without knowing it or feeling it.

Also, I don't claim to be an Alabama fan in any way and I have only seen 3 or 4 games since Saban came it... but don't they run both the 4-3 and 3-4? I know they have run the 3-4, but don't they line up 4-3 more often? Not that it's a point or argument or anything, I just don't recall Bama strictly running the 3-4.

But yeah, Bama definitely has the personnel moreso than Georgia to run a successful 3-4 base... mainly because of Cody. UGA has no one that even approaches his size on the defense.

Oh and something that really kinda ticked me off yesterday is watching College Football Live... they talked about Mallett and that Arkansas offense, how many yards they put up on us despite losing. They talked about Arkansas playing Bama and they all laughed after someone said the Bama defense is not the Georgia defense.

Which, I mean that's true... but it just pains me as a UGA fan to hear our defense talked about like that and KNOW they deserve it. We've had strong, stout defense at UGA far more often than not... and it's just ridiculously frustrating to be seeing this in our team.

<!--quoteo(post=5083171:date=Sep 24 2009, 07:00 PM:name=Carter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Carter @ Sep 24 2009, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=5083171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really dislike the 3-4 as a base defense. You really have to have studs in the secondary.

I think if we mixed it up between 4-3 and 3-4 looks we could be successful in situations... but in no way do I believe switching to the 3-4 as our base defense would be beneficial. There's a reason why very very few college teams run a 3-4 or variations out of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree the NT is the key in the 3-4 and Cody is exceptional. I have read people who do not understand the 3-4 D state that Cody isnt that great because of his stats as far as sacks and what not. Cody does exactly what is supposed to do by taking on the double team and not only stops them in their tracks but in most instances drives them back and allows the linebackers to do their thing. IMO more people do not run the 3-4 in college because those types of NT's are not easy to find along with the big / fast linebackers it takes to run it well. Cody will go fast in the draft next year with more and more teams starting to run the 3-4 .

<!--quoteo(post=5083171:date=Sep 24 2009, 07:00 PM:name=Carter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Carter @ Sep 24 2009, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=5083171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really dislike the 3-4 as a base defense. You really have to have studs in the secondary.

I think if we mixed it up between 4-3 and 3-4 looks we could be successful in situations... but in no way do I believe switching to the 3-4 as our base defense would be beneficial. There's a reason why very very few college teams run a 3-4 or variations out of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree the NT is the key in the 3-4 and Cody is exceptional. I have read people who do not understand the 3-4 D state that Cody isnt that great because of his stats as far as sacks and what not. Cody does exactly what is supposed to do by taking on the double team and not only stops them in their tracks but in most instances drives them back and allows the linebackers to do their thing. IMO more people do not run the 3-4 in college because those types of NT's are not easy to find along with the big / fast linebackers it takes to run it well. Cody will go fast in the draft next year with more and more teams starting to run the 3-4 .

Cody is a pure nose tackle... Alabama can pull that off. No one is running by that man without knowing it or feeling it.

Also, I don't claim to be an Alabama fan in any way and I have only seen 3 or 4 games since Saban came it... but don't they run both the 4-3 and 3-4? I know they have run the 3-4, but don't they line up 4-3 more often? Not that it's a point or argument or anything, I just don't recall Bama strictly running the 3-4.

But yeah, Bama definitely has the personnel moreso than Georgia to run a successful 3-4 base... mainly because of Cody. UGA has no one that even approaches his size on the defense.

We run a 3 defensive lineman set with four linebackers on about 90% of the plays -- the key is we have a Jack LB position who can stand up in coverage or put his hand down to rush the passer. So, sometimes it may look like we are in a 4-3 but the fourth pass rusher is the Jack LB -- this gives a lot of flexibility in disguising blitzes because the Jack LB may start off with his hand down and then drop into coverage on the snap with a Defensive Back coming in on a blitz. The only time we get away from the 3-4 is on short yardage and around the goal line.