Brees restructures contract

bossFALCON™

Drew Brees recently restructured his contract to create salary cap relief for the Saints.

He turned more than half of his $9.8 million 2009 salary into a "signing bonus," which will prorate for the rest of Brees' contract. Brees, 30, is only signed through 2010. The Saints may consider extending him after this year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Saints may consider extending him after this year.

Man, that's some crack reporting, whoever.

A few thoughts:

I wonder if there's some roster finagling in our future as the trade deadline approaches? Instantly the pessimist in me worries that some of the minor injuries we've incurred so far are much more serious than we've been led to believe. Or perhaps the FO sees weakness at a key position, such as DE, and is preparing to pull the trigger? Or maybe we're just going to go ahead and lock up Colston long term, because his extension was kinda weak and he's the real deal. We'll see.

My other though is Drew is Awesome.

That may be true but, the hypothetical is what Danny boy would pay for Brees...it would be astronomical!

Hahah you guys WISH someone could lure Brees away from this offense. Too bad that's not going to happen. 6 year, $100 million offer after this season, maybe more if he hoists the Lombardi.

Drew will retire as a Saint.

The Saints have to be looking to sign somebody, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with this.

I agree. Unless Thomas and Bell are injured more than we have been led to believe, I think it is safe to say the signing isn't on offense. We are set at WR and while we could potentially use depth at OL and TE, they wouldnt need to clear this kind of room for that.

On defense, I think they are satisfied with the secondary. A WLB would be possible, but Vilma is very good and Fujita is solid. The only thing that makes sense is a top DT. Grant and Smith are penciled in as starters and the backups are very capable in Charleston and McCray. Again, while more depth wouldnt be bad, they wouldnt need to free up this kind of money for it. I still havent seen pressure on the QB from the DT spot without the aid of blitzing

Are Thomas and Bell out for this week? If so who is going to handle the load? That would seem like an urgent need?

I believe Thomas is ready to go for this week and if not this week, certainly next week. You wouldnt need this much money to sign a one or two week scrub and even then they would need more time to learn the playbook and calls. This is isnt backup type money they freed up

I believe Thomas is ready to go for this week and if not this week, certainly next week. You wouldnt need this much money to sign a one or two week scrub and even then they would need more time to learn the playbook and calls. This is isnt backup type money they freed up

That's correct. Pierre is a full go this week, though I don't know what type of impact he will have. He was active last week and saw a little action, though he only touched the ball once.

It's not known about Bell, but from the looks of it he'll sit out this week and be ready to go in Week 4. He said he could have gone back in if needed last week, and personally I think if it's Week 16 and the Saints are in the fight of their lives for a playoff spot, he'd give it a shot.

If neither go, I feel comfortable with Lynell and Reggie. Either way, I'm not sure if we'll even need a run game Sunday. Drew should be able to pick them apart, especially if they don't blitz like the DC said.

Also, I doubt the Saints opened up this cap too make a big move. Both of the restructures were done quietly a few weeks ago, incase of midseason injuries, etc etc.

That's correct. Pierre is a full go this week, though I don't know what type of impact he will have. He was active last week and saw a little action, though he only touched the ball once.

It's not known about Bell, but from the looks of it he'll sit out this week and be ready to go in Week 4. He said he could have gone back in if needed last week, and personally I think if it's Week 16 and the Saints are in the fight of their lives for a playoff spot, he'd give it a shot.

If neither go, I feel comfortable with Lynell and Reggie. Either way, I'm not sure if we'll even need a run game Sunday. Drew should be able to pick them apart, especially if they don't blitz like the DC said.

Also, I doubt the Saints opened up this cap too make a big move. Both of the restructures were done quietly a few weeks ago, incase of midseason injuries, etc etc.

was that the announced reason for the restructures?

Hahah you guys WISH someone could lure Brees away from this offense. Too bad that's not going to happen. 6 year, $100 million offer after this season, maybe more if he hoists the Lombardi.

6 year 100 million won't get it next year, sadly. I hope they can figure out the CBA, but everything being reported says it's not going to happen. So the freaking Cowboys and Redskins are going to ruin it for everyone.

as long as we have #2 suiting up for us i dont care where drew brees plays. the only reason i brought it up was because it was mentioned in an article i read a few days ago talking about the uncapped year.

6 year 100 million won't get it next year, sadly. I hope they can figure out the CBA, but everything being reported says it's not going to happen. So the freaking Cowboys and Redskins are going to ruin it for everyone.

you dont think the other owners will move to do a lockout?

On NFL access last night they brought up a point after Belichick's segment praising Matty Ice. The question was brought to them by Belichick's comments. If you had to pick a QB to start a team today who would it be?

The 5 panelists all had their say and 3 of them picked Matty Ice, and 2 of them P. Manning! They gave their reasons and you can look up the clip if you like. The gist was at his age Matty can make all the throw, make all the reads and progression, already run the no huddle, and studies like no other, maybe even Manning!

Obviuosly absent from this discussion was Brees? I'm not sure why but he wasn't even considered/mentioned?

Paper MVP :lol:

On NFL access last night they brought up a point after Belichick's segment praising Matty Ice. The question was brought to them by Belichick's comments. If you had to pick a QB to start a team today who would it be?

The 5 panelists all had their say and 3 of them picked Matty Ice, and 2 of them P. Manning! They gave their reasons and you can look up the clip if you like. The gist was at his age Matty can make all the throw, make all the reads and progression, already run the no huddle, and studies like no other, maybe even Manning!

Obviuosly absent from this discussion was Brees? I'm not sure why but he wasn't even considered/mentioned?

Could be if Brees was added to the conversation, Ryan would get 0 votes. Between Brees, and just Ryan more than likely the votes would be the same.

Right now, Brees has won in the playoffs, he is more polished, experienced and ready. Not tryin to knock Ryan, He is on his way to the top, and does have a better foundation to start his career than Brees ever had.

maybe as of right now, but #9 is 30 yrs old and in his prime. #2 is 24 and is already one of the best qbs in the league.

;)

Well, to go back and forth... :lol:

1- Thirty is almost becoming the new 24 for QB's. If you can keep your QB upright, he can play for a long time. I think Drew could play at a high level for another 8-10 seasons. He rarely gets hit, and what he relies on isn't something he'll lose. I've always said, when Drew retires it's because he doesn't have the heart for the game he does now, not because he can nolonger can get the job done. The scary thing? I think Drew is early in his prime! Wait 2-4 years down the road!

2- Is Ryan really one of the best QB's? Either way, there are ALOT of good QB's in the NFL, so how much does that really mean?

Well, to go back and forth... :lol:

1- Thirty is almost becoming the new 24 for QB's. If you can keep your QB upright, he can play for a long time. I think Drew could play at a high level for another 8-10 seasons. He rarely gets hit, and what he relies on isn't something he'll lose. I've always said, when Drew retires it's because he doesn't have the heart for the game he does now, not because he can nolonger can get the job done. The scary thing? I think Drew is early in his prime! Wait 2-4 years down the road!

2- Is Ryan really one of the best QB's? Either way, there are ALOT of good QB's in the NFL, so how much does that really mean?

ryan only has 1 year in the league and is mentioned with some of the best..how much does that really mean? i think it means alot