Marty Booker

hawkeye

Marty Booker didn’t land on an NFL roster until August but he made sure he continued to work out during the time after he and the Bears parted ways. Who knew when a team in need would call his number…

“Unfortunately injuries happen in this league,” he said Wednesday in front of his Falcons locker. “I was just sitting around and continuing to work out. I figured it would come, it was just a matter of when. I got the call and I got on a plane and came here right away.”

The Pro Bowl receiver (2002) caught two passes in a division win over Carolina and is getting more involved in the Falcons high-powered offense.

Booker’s grabs came on back-to-back third-down plays for the Falcons, converting for 27 and 15 yards. Additional third-down grabs were provided by Pro Bowler Tony Gonzalez. His presence, according to Booker, opens the door for other players on offense.

“Those things help and I appreciate that,” Booker said.

The 11-year veteran spent time with the Dolphins and Bears before joining the Falcons. He has 525 career receptions for more than 6,500 yards and 36 touchdowns. He was signed soon after the team placed Harry Douglas (knee) on injured reserve and made the roster out of training camp.

The steady presence at receiver has paid off early, especially on third downs.

“That’s what they brought me here for — to come in and do the little things like that,” he said. “Whenever they call for me to go in and make a play, I’m there to make a play.”