Eric Coleman

Doug Percival

Listening to Eric Coleman interview on Sirius yesterday and he says the D played to bend but not break.... I have heard enough of the prevent defense and bend but dont break in 36 years of watching the Falcons. Is this the attitude this year?? when are we going to have an attacking aggressive defense? you know, the kind thats comes in handy in playoff games and superbowls.

Dont get me wrong, I love where we are headed and am more excited about this team than ever before, just wondering why Coleman would say that if and if its coming from the coaches. Just sayin

Well, it's obviously one of 2 things:

Either

1.) That's the philosophy VanGorder believes in and he's going to employ it regardless of the the personnel we have or

2.) Smitty and VanGorder still don't think that we have the type of players yet to run a more attacking, aggressive style of defense.

Listening to Eric Coleman interview on Sirius yesterday and he says the D played to bend but not break.... I have heard enough of the prevent defense and bend but dont break in 36 years of watching the Falcons. Is this the attitude this year?? when are we going to have an attacking aggressive defense? you know, the kind thats comes in handy in playoff games and superbowls.

Dont get me wrong, I love where we are headed and am more excited about this team than ever before, just wondering why Coleman would say that if and if its coming from the coaches. Just sayin

The Falcons ranked in the top 10 in scoring defense last year. Does it matter if they have a bend but don't break defense? Isn't that what the Colts had when they won the Super Bowl a bend but don't break defense?

A top defensive unit should be able to employ a variety of strategies depending on the opponent and the game situation. Accordingly "bend but not break" has its' place.

Falcons are #4 in the NFL right now in "most yards allowed per point scored". This is a useful measure of the red zone defensive skills of the team combined with the field position advantage conveyed by the special teams units. However there is still a lot of work to do to make the "bend and not break" defense more effective. For instance I hope the defensive coaching staff is currently emphasizing not giving up the sidelines so easily when defending against 2 minute drills.