Possible 1st Round pick

804_Falconfan

I think we could go OL in the first round this year especially if we are unable to resign Clabo or Dahl. I think Ciron Black would be a good OL to look at. He plays LT at LSU but would probably play RT or RG in the NFL. He is a great run blocker but not the best pass blocker although he does a good job. Plus he has a nasty streak. And he's a high character guy. The beginning highlights feature more of Herman Johnson. (Red arrow)

Article from SI

We just need some patience and wait Biermann and Sidbury to develop.We will regret if we forget the OL.

In my opinion I just have no clue why we would go Oline in the first unless it was a cant miss Center

Who on the Oline needs to be or will eventually in a year or two have to be replaced other than McClure? There shouldnt be any reason that anybody who needs to be resigned doesnt get signed, This unit has come together and should continue to grow together

The D Line on the other hand, I have to come to the conclusion that Anderson just doesnt have it, he isnt a bust in my opinion because he was excuse my language nobody before the draft shot up the boards because of "upside" and from my knowledge didnt even work out for Mckay, in other words he was a Major reach I think Mckay thought either Peterson or Landry would fall and they didnt, wow, Adrian Peterson was one pick away.........still shaking my head on that one

Contrary to popular belief,PJ is not a NT and there wasnt one in the wings behind him, and thats what the Patriots exposed to the rest of the league, although he could draw the double team, when that occured he was back there with the Linebackers

We need a true Nose Tackle someone who can take the double team into the backfield or just be potent at the point of attack and not get pushed off the line of scrimmage, contrary to popular belief a great nose tackle changes the defense entirely almost as much as a great pass rusher

Rather or not we draft one in the first or draft one at all and look for a FA, this I believe is going to happen,If anyone can recall Mike Smith had a guy named John Henderson in Jag land if you dont know who he is look him up

In my opinion I just have no clue why we would go Oline in the first unless it was a cant miss Center

Who on the Oline needs to be or will eventually in a year or two have to be replaced other than McClure? There shouldnt be any reason that anybody who needs to be resigned doesnt get signed, This unit has come together and should continue to grow together

The D Line on the other hand, I have to come to the conclusion that Anderson just doesnt have it, he isnt a bust in my opinion because he was excuse my language nobody before the draft shot up the boards because of "upside" and from my knowledge didnt even work out for Mckay, in other words he was a Major reach I think Mckay thought either Peterson or Landry would fall and they didnt, wow, Adrian Peterson was one pick away.........still shaking my head on that one

Contrary to popular belief,PJ is not a NT and there wasnt one in the wings behind him, and thats what the Patriots exposed to the rest of the league, although he could draw the double team, when that occured he was back there with the Linebackers

We need a true Nose Tackle someone who can take the double team into the backfield or just be potent at the point of attack and not get pushed off the line of scrimmage, contrary to popular belief a great nose tackle changes the defense entirely almost as much as a great pass rusher

Rather or not we draft one in the first or draft one at all and look for a FA, this I believe is going to happen,If anyone can recall Mike Smith had a guy named John Henderson in Jag land if you dont know who he is look him up

It would be fine to draft a NT, but in the 1st round, Ndamukong Suh and Terrence Cody will be far gone when we pick, and I don't want to reach for a position that we just spent a 1st round.

We need to replace Harvey Dahl and McClure, in that order.Harvey Dahl is overrated.Inconsistent pass block and too weak for the run block.He just have the Hype for being the "meanest player in then NFL", which somehow sucks, because he make some stupid penalties.Ciron Black will be a major upgrade over him.And I forgot tell Dahl is almost in the 30's, so I sincerely hope we don't resign him.

It would be fine to draft a NT, but in the 1st round, Ndamukong Suh and Terrence Cody will be far gone when we pick, and I don't want to reach for a position that we just spent a 1st round.

We need to replace Harvey Dahl and McClure, in that order.Harvey Dahl is overrated.Inconsistent pass block and too weak for the run block.He just have the Hype for being the "meanest player in then NFL", which somehow sucks, because he make some stupid penalties.Ciron Black will be a major upgrade over him.And I forgot tell Dahl is almost in the 30's, so I sincerely hope we don't resign him.

The page on this website says he is 28

Like I said Im all for a cant miss center, wouldnt mind that at all

And again I agree I dont know if he drafts one in the first or at all and attempts to find one in FA but we need one clearly

But I like Ciron Black, They said he was better than big Herm and as I watched him I would agree, both were ridiculous blockers in the run game but Ciron does a little better in pass protection

from what I saw....

I would more like to D in the 1st round of next years draft. Sean Weatherspoon maybe. Or trade the pick to gain more picks

I doubt TD will trade our first round pick at all. He made a comment after this year's draft on that effect. Now I can see him packaging some of our later picks and try to recoup that second rounder we gave to KC since we should get two maybe three comp picks in next year's draft.

I doubt TD will trade our first round pick at all. He made a comment after this year's draft on that effect. Now I can see him packaging some of our later picks and try to recoup that second rounder we gave to KC since we should get two maybe three comp picks in next year's draft.

I agree. I don;t think we can afford to lose our 1st round pick unless we gain an extra one in 2010.

This draft class is sooo talented defensively that it would be a gift to get that 2nd rounder back while retaining a fairly high compensatory pick.

Would it be much better to trade our 3rd and 4th rounder for what would likely be a late 2nd rounder? I'm not sure it would be. It would be great to get a 2nd rounder in this very talented draft, but I doubt we will find a way to get one without trading down from our 1st rounder. And that isn't something I think I want to do at this point.

I agree. I don;t think we can afford to lose our 1st round pick unless we gain an extra one in 2010.

This draft class is sooo talented defensively that it would be a gift to get that 2nd rounder back while retaining a fairly high compensatory pick.

I actually think that we can trade out of the 1st, and i think that we are in an even better position to do so. This draft has alot of talent and I think that we are not starving for talent to the point where we have to use our 1st round pick. I think that TD wanted to keep his first round picks the previous two years, and i doubt that he wanted to trade any of our picks either. TD has traded two of our 2010 picks, so i think that going into the 2010 draft he may be a little bit more flexible in terms of trading out of the 1st. WE can still get good talent for our position of needs in the 2nd round.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree that drafting a RT and a C would be great picks next year. If we go one OLinemen i'd go RT and keep Clabo for a backup--he plays all line positions. The nice thing about Black is that he also plays OG, so he'd compete with both Clabo and Dahl.

I'm curious what we do at DL. You wonder how much more do we invest? Be an interesting draft

i agree that drafting a RT and a C would be great picks next year. If we go one OLinemen i'd go RT and keep Clabo for a backup--he plays all line positions. The nice thing about Black is that he also plays OG, so he'd compete with both Clabo and Dahl.

I'm curious what we do at DL. You wonder how much more do we invest? Be an interesting draft

Salmon my man, how's it goin? Good to see you in here.

I also would love to get a RT that would force Clabo into a backup role. He would be the ideal backup because he is depth at, in all likelihood, both OG positions at RT. Not only that, but if he had to fill in as a starter he would be a capable starter, I just don't think he is a good enough guy to resign and pencil in as your starter. But his versatility would be best used as a backup, and it would make him much more valuable than he is just starting at RT like he is now. At least imo it would.

Dahl isn't a great starter either, but I don't see us picking up a starting RG this year considering our defensive needs and only having a 1st and a 3rd as of now.

As for DL, I'm not sure what we will end up doing. I don't like many guys who might project to the LE spot, and unless Everson Griffen and Jason Pierre-Paul come out (both juniors that I really like) I don't know that we will be able to find a LE that can rush the passer and play the run well unless we sign Kampman in free agency. That is a concern for me.

As for NT, I would like a guy who can hold up versus double teams better than Jerry but I am not sure we will get a guy like that. D'Anthony Smith looked alright to me when I watched him, but he doesn't seem to play with consistent leverage and quickness off the snap. He is athletic though and sheds blocks well when he plays with good leverage, which is good for our scheme. However he seems like another guy that can beat 1 on 1 blocks well but can't hold up versus a double team. We already have at least two of those guys with Babs and Jerry, what is the sense in adding a 3rd? I know we want guys who can penetrate in their gap, but at some point you have to wonder how we are going to do in the red zone, in 3rd and short situations and maybe even against the run game in general unless we add someone that can hold up versus double teams. I think Vince Oghobaase may be the answer for that, but it remains to be seen if we will go in that direction. I watched him against Virginia Tech and came away impressed. He can collapse the pocket versus double teams, he can stand up versus the run against double teams and has the athleticism to make plays in the backfield. Really I think he might be what we need at NT. He needs better conditioning and could stand to add 10-15 pounds since he is 6'5" and only around 305, but he is very strong and when he is used in a rotation he plays with good, consistent leverage. When he gets tired he tends to play higher, but Duke is in a pickle because they don't have the depth to rotate him out and keep him fresh but he doesn't play as well when he gets fatigued. But with our heavy DL rotation I think it would help mask that deficiency especially since Jerry would get snaps at NT and whoever our 4th DT is (Whether it is Lewis, Johnson or Walker) would probably get snaps at NT as well. But With Oghobaase I think our top 3 DT rotation would be much improved versus the run and the pass, and whoever our 4th DT would be would be better by default because instead of being an average #3 DT like they are now they would be moved one spot down the depth chart.

Sorry for the rant, just saw you were around and thought I'd jump into conversation. Also for what it's worth Ciron Black strikes me as an OG in the NFL. He has not impressed me when I have watched him this year. No way is he a LT in the NFL, but I think we all knew that.

If we do go OL in the first, it will probably be a book end tackle opposite of Baker. I also think that only one of Clabo or Dahl are signed. Honestly, I LOVE Harvey Dahl and I love how he plays, but I believe we should re sign Tyson Clabo and stick him at RG long term. He plays better at guard IMO, and he provides versatility.

I really like Jason Fox out of Miami. He is a 3rd/4th round pick now, but I expect him to move up.

He is very similar to Sam Baker.... very experienced and very athletic.

Our Line is definitely not the best, but they are pretty consistent and they really have good chemistry with Matt Ryan.

If your line hasn't given up a sack in 3 games, it is hard to say that you need to use a 1st round pick on an OT. Fox would be the perfect guy to bring in IMO. He would automatically be ready for RT and wouldn't cost us a 1st round pick.

our 1st round pick is going to be interesting though.

I really like Jason Fox out of Miami. He is a 3rd/4th round pick now, but I expect him to move up.

He is very similar to Sam Baker.... very experienced and very athletic.

Our Line is definitely not the best, but they are pretty consistent and they really have good chemistry with Matt Ryan.

If your line hasn't given up a sack in 3 games, it is hard to say that you need to use a 1st round pick on an OT. Fox would be the perfect guy to bring in IMO. He would automatically be ready for RT and wouldn't cost us a 1st round pick.

our 1st round pick is going to be interesting though.

I love Fox too - and if he is still there at the top of the third I would trade up for him but I think your prediction is a bit low and he goes mid-2nd.

From what I have seen this year I would only rate Okung, Bulaga, Charles Brown of USC and Bruce Campbell of Maryland higher (that includes Trent Williams and Ciron Black, both of whom I am unimpressed by). If scouts see it close to the same way, it'll need to be a top-40 pick to land him.

I love Fox too - and if he is still there at the top of the third I would trade up for him but I think your prediction is a bit low and he goes mid-2nd.

From what I have seen this year I would only rate Okung, Bulaga, Charles Brown of USC and Bruce Campbell of Maryland higher (that includes Trent Williams and Ciron Black, both of whom I am unimpressed by). If scouts see it close to the same way, it'll need to be a top-40 pick to land him.

I agree he is a good player, but I think he is probably going to grade out as a LT, so I really don't think he will be in the 3rd round either. LT's just tend to rise and RT's tend to slide. There are exceptions to every rule, but LT's are usually harder to find. So if Fox shows the ability to be a NFL LT (he has looked good when I have seen him but I haven't specifically watched him) he will probably be a top 40 pick like you said. I think you are dead on about Okung, Bulaga and Brown being graded above him. Campbell might not be above him because of injury concerns though Fox has had some of those also. But none this year that I am aware of and Campbell has. But that is nitpicking.

He is definitely a top 5 LT in this class, at least imo.