FALCONLORD - review request

MagnusXXIII

I am curious if your video review could reveal why Thomas Johnson is getting the nod over Trey Lewis.

Based on pre-season it seemed that Trey Lewis was marginally more effective than Johnson.

The four man rush will be the key to our season since we will rely heavily on cover 2.

Thanks in advance.

I have to completely disagree with that statement. I think the reason Johnson is getting the nod is b/c he was more effective than Lewis. I actually don't really recall Lewis doing anything special.. Johnson at least had that sweet sack, can't remember which game...

I have to completely disagree with that statement. I think the reason Johnson is getting the nod is b/c he was more effective than Lewis. I actually don't really recall Lewis doing anything special.. Johnson at least had that sweet sack, can't remember which game...

Yeah I seen Johnson in the backfield alot during the preseason. He is the dude with the Dreads right? If so he definately played with hunger during the times I seen him. We will rotate our D-line anyway. Coach Smitty has constantly said that there are really no D- line starters

Yeah I seen Johnson in the backfield alot during the preseason. He is the dude with the Dreads right? If so he definately played with hunger during the times I seen him. We will rotate our D-line anyway. Coach Smitty has constantly said that there are really no D- line starters

he is not the same person ... maybe you are thinking of Tony Gilbert.

I am basing my statement based on my own observation and a previous play by play review done by Falconlord ... where Lewis seemed to have more positive plays than Johnson.

In the preseason, Thomas Johnson flashed very well (especially in the first two games). I thought he deserved to make the 53 man roster, but I didnt think he would get the nod to the 45-man active roster over Trey Lewis. I have heard that it could have been because Trey Lewis doesnt have his endurance back from missing so much time, but im not sure that is the real reason.

If the question is .. Who played better in the preseason? I would answer definitively Trey Lewis.

There are several other factors that could have come into play. The first being that Lewis is coming off of an injury. Secondly, I think Johnson and Lewis are very different types of players. Johnson is more about penetration and disruption. He gets into the backfield and makes his voice heard. Lewis is more of a Grady Jackson 2.0.

I believe the player type is THE key factor in why the coaches chose Johnson over Lewis. Our starters this year were Jerry and Babs. Both guys are penetrating type UT's that can get sacks. It looks like we are trying to get as much penetration as possible in the DL, while maybe giving up some size. This is why I think Lewis isnt getting the pub that Johnson is. Trey is very athletic for a big dude, but he is more of a run stuffer. So long as we are stopping the run well, we will continue to put people on the DL that penetrate.

Well I told yall. He beat more as in camp and preseason than any other DT. Including Babineaux.

Dude was playing like he needed to pay some bills.

With that said, he has looked a little overwhelmed in the regular season. The CAR Oline schooled every Dlineman though. Every one of em. Abe included. A schoolin. A beat down.

I've been wondering about this, too. Johnson got a reputation in OTAs and camp as the D-line equivalent of Harvey Dahl - playing to the whistle and sometimes beyond, giving opponents a little something extra at every opportunity. The O-line and Coach Boudreau were perpetually ticked at the guy because he had a real knack for making plays on them and getting under their skin. So I'm guessing a mean streak is part of what gets him the nod over Lewis. Still, I'm surprised that Lewis wasn't even activated in games 1 and 2. I share a previous poster's opinion that he might not be all the way into game shape. He certainly looks heavier than I remember from the past.