Rev's keys to the Falcons-Patriots game

Rev_Hal

The Patriots game is the biggest test this team has had yet this season, and will be a good barometer on where we stand. The best news from this week is that thy bye is next weekend, and the Falcons will have some time to rest up and learn from this game. Win or lose, there will be lots of good tape to watch from this game.

These two teams are both very similar, yet very different. Both teams have strong offenses that have proven that tehy can move the ball - Falcons on the ground, Patriots in the air. Both teams have defensive issues - Patriots are dealing with age and injury, and the Falcons are dealing with youth and secondary issues.

When the Patriots have the ball, the Falcons are going to ahve to put pressure on Brady. We did this well against the Dolphins, but we never touched Delhome. If Brady has 7+ seconds to pick apart our secondary, it will be a long and ugly day. Smith and Van Gorder are going to have to have a better defensive gameplan against the Patriots than we did agaisnt the Panthers.

When the Falcons have the ball, they need to control the clock. The best way to beat Brady is keep him on the sideline. With Mayo out for the game, expect the Falcons to be able to move the ball on the ground. The short pass attack against the Panthers was very effective. Gonzo is going to need to be the difference maker against an aging slower defense.

I don't like the fact that this is a home game for the Patriots, but I love that this is the return to Boston for the conquering hero Matt Ryan. I suspect that he will he jazzed for this game, but he works well under pressure.

Bottom line prediction - If the Falcons can control the clock and get pressure on Brady, we win. If not, it may be a long day. Either way, we will see exactly where this team is in the "process".

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thoughts.

The only alternative to pressuring Brady directly with blitzes is to hit the WR and esp. slot at the line to disrupt the pass timing. Brady looked way off in his accuracy and timing in the Bills game and they did not do much blitzing. They did generate decent pass rush with their front 4 though so we definitely need something from the trenches as blitzing is probably not our strength.

1 other thing I think will be key, as Buffalo learned, is keep the gas pedal full throttle the entire game. The Pats will always keep a game close, and Brady is an acknolwedged master of the 2 minute offense. If we ease up on them at the end and lose intensity they could steal one from us just like they stole one from the Bills. Generally speaking though Smitty does a good job keeping intensity throughout a game.

The Patriots game is the biggest test this team has had yet this season, and will be a good barometer on where we stand. The best news from this week is that thy bye is next weekend, and the Falcons will have some time to rest up and learn from this game. Win or lose, there will be lots of good tape to watch from this game.

These two teams are both very similar, yet very different. Both teams have strong offenses that have proven that tehy can move the ball - Falcons on the ground, Patriots in the air. Both teams have defensive issues - Patriots are dealing with age and injury, and the Falcons are dealing with youth and secondary issues.

When the Patriots have the ball, the Falcons are going to ahve to put pressure on Brady. We did this well against the Dolphins, but we never touched Delhome. If Brady has 7+ seconds to pick apart our secondary, it will be a long and ugly day. Smith and Van Gorder are going to have to have a better defensive gameplan against the Patriots than we did agaisnt the Panthers.

When the Falcons have the ball, they need to control the clock. The best way to beat Brady is keep him on the sideline. With Mayo out for the game, expect the Falcons to be able to move the ball on the ground. The short pass attack against the Panthers was very effective. Gonzo is going to need to be the difference maker against an aging slower defense.

I don't like the fact that this is a home game for the Patriots, but I love that this is the return to Boston for the conquering hero Matt Ryan. I suspect that he will he jazzed for this game, but he works well under pressure.

Bottom line prediction - If the Falcons can control the clock and get pressure on Brady, we win. If not, it may be a long day. Either way, we will see exactly where this team is in the "process".

While I want to agree...the fact that NE has played so poorly its first 2 games, I'm not sure they are a barometer this year.Maybe more so psychologically that we "beat the Patriots". But this years Patriots team is far from previous teams SO FAR this year.

Rev, you pretty much nailed it down nicely.

One thing about the Pats D and especially the enormous Wilfork

is that they struggle against the No Huddle Offense.

One we get Wilfork winded, Turner can start Pounding.

Brady:

Wow, we all know that he wont need 7 seconds much less 5.

If Brady gets 12 passing plays where he has anything beyond

3.5 seconds, we come home with a Loss.

The first 3 games of this season is and will be the forecast of this season.

With Jerry out, this game becomes of High Importance.

Can we generate a Pass rush against their aging O Line and

will Houston be Aggressive and Challenge?

My thinking is that if our Secondary gets Torched early and often,

Tye Hill will enter the game.

I liken our odds 2/5 in favor of the Pats, Set em up Boys!

Agreed.

Falcons have actually been more of a passing team the first two games. However we do have a more "balanced" ball control offense, while the Patriots are potentially more prolific. The Falcons are also contending with injury with their top two draft picks and third reciever out

Delhomme was effectively blitzed against with a sack and a hurry ... though we did not blitz much ... and our front four did not get enough pressure ... albeit the Panther's OLine is a strength. This will be BVGs biggest challenge. Last week the Patriots were successfully derailed by the blitz ... and they know WE know that. Can we also blitz without getting burned is the question?

All great posts!

It is def all about getting to Brady. The Jets rattled him last week and it payed off. I would LOVE to see JA98 step up his game and make a name for himself in a positive way, rather than his current status of 0 tackles and so on. If our line can get pressure, it will make our secondary's day alot easier, obv.

With Tony's presence, teams are not going to put 8 in the box for Turner. He opens up the field for Matt, and we can be a succsesful, balanced offense. I see Turner going for over 100 in this one with the absense of Mayo for the Pats. Can't wait for sunday.

All great posts!

It is def all about getting to Brady. The Jets rattled him last week and it payed off. I would LOVE to see JA98 step up his game and make a name for himself in a positive way, rather than his current status of 0 tackles and so on. If our line can get pressure, it will make our secondary's day alot easier, obv.

With Tony's presence, teams are not going to put 8 in the box for Turner. He opens up the field for Matt, and we can be a succsesful, balanced offense. I see Turner going for over 100 in this one with the absense of Mayo for the Pats. Can't wait for sunday.

I am not worried about scoring or ball control.

I just don't want this game to be a rehash of the Colts-Fins game this past Monday.

All great posts!

It is going to be interesting to see how the loss of Jerry is going to affect the DL. I hope thay Trey is back up to form and 100%. With the heavy pass attack of NE, I would expect to see more of Bierman in this game. He usually comes in on 3rd down and obvious passing situations, but every spot and situation is an obvious passing situation for the Patriots.

This is the second time I have seen you say that we didn't touch him or had NO pass rush. I doubt he sacked himself.

I agree it was less effective than with Miami but you don't have to make it even worse than it was. <_<

NIce job Rev. I personally think the biggest factor for the Pats right now might be the availability of Wes Welker. Brady missed him terribly last week.

Although I do have to say that I was extremely impressed with his replacement, rookie 7th round pick Julian Edelman. Dude had 8 catches for 98 yards, which is amazing when you consider it was the first game he ever played WR in his entire life.

We need to get creative with Abe, Sidbury, Bierman, and Nicholas and trial to dial up the blitz more than usual. I wish this game was after the bye so we could have Tye Hill, but oh well.

With Mayo and Welker banged up, and now Meriweather too, I am happy the game is this week.

We got decent pressure and was able to garner a sack but is was still disappointing that he could not be consistent.

One of the shakiest QB's in the league just threw for 300 yards against us, and consistantly had 6+ seconds to throw. I don't know what you are referring to, but our pass rush sucked against the Panthers.

From the Pats website:

Did you know?

New England has won 15 straight regular-season games against NFC opponents. ... In its last trip to Foxborough in 1998, Atlanta won, 41-10, on the way to a Super Bowl XXXIII appearance.

Lets end the streak:)

THis game scares me. THey are coming off 2 sub par performances and they are back at home. Don't count them out at all.