Falcons Allowed 300+ YDS to Jake

Atlanta Falcons: They allowed Jake Delhomme's(notes) first 300-yard passing game since Week 2 of the 2007 season, but that had something to do with Carolina's need to play catchup with the new, scary, Matt-Ryan-to-Tony-Gonzalez combo in the Falcons' 28-20 win. There should be some sort of statistical debit for intercepting Delhomme only once, but we're not sure just what that should be. Had the Panthers run the ball more in a closer game, it could have been ugly; Jonathan Stewart(notes) gained 65 yards on just nine carries. Bad news came on the injury front: First-round tackle Peria Jerry(notes) left the game in the fourth quarter with a knee injury. Jerry had been playing well, drawing consistent double teams, and his loss would be felt.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,190766

Falcons only allowed 124 Passing YDS in the 1st HALF...

Rest of YDS were given when they were playing catchup and we went into the PREVENT D.. Which I hate it... Just finish the team I want Killing Instinct...

93 looked good.. Whenever he was there.. our RUn D was decentr... also, he commands Double team once in while...

94 Would be Missed for sure...

Atlanta Falcons: They allowed Jake Delhomme's(notes) first 300-yard passing game since Week 2 of the 2007 season, but that had something to do with Carolina's need to play catchup with the new, scary, Matt-Ryan-to-Tony-Gonzalez combo in the Falcons' 28-20 win. There should be some sort of statistical debit for intercepting Delhomme only once, but we're not sure just what that should be. Had the Panthers run the ball more in a closer game, it could have been ugly; Jonathan Stewart(notes) gained 65 yards on just nine carries. Bad news came on the injury front: First-round tackle Peria Jerry(notes) left the game in the fourth quarter with a knee injury. Jerry had been playing well, drawing consistent double teams, and his loss would be felt.

Falcons only allowed 124 Passing YDS in the 1st HALF...

Rest of YDS were given when they were playing catchup and we went into the PREVENT D.. Which I hate it... Just finish the team I want Killing Instinct...

93 looked good.. Whenever he was there.. our RUn D was decentr... also, he commands Double team once in while...

94 Would be Missed for sure...

i agree with you..........jakes yards came in the second half, primarily the 4th when they were down 28-13. They abandoned the run at that point and your right....i hate prevent as well. kill them with what was working earlier.

i agree with you..........jakes yards came in the second half, primarily the 4th when they were down 28-13. They abandoned the run at that point and your right....i hate prevent as well. kill them with what was working earlier.

I hate it too, and then I think about that game last week (I've forgotten who it was, now), but nobody was over top of the receiver in a last ditch kind of play because they weren't playing prevent and somebody lost the assignment

I guess the prevent had something to do with giving up 7 of 12 third down conversions too. But we won. B)

Yeah, I keep going back and forth on it.

You wanna say that if we maintained the aggressiveness they wouldn't march down the field, but sometimes it saves you.

So I don't know :huh:

Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due, so I am going to do that. Regardless of his two previous games, Jake Delhomme played an outstanding game on Sunday. His passes were thrown on time and on target, but the Falcons still scored a fairly comfortable win. So I'm not worried about Jake's yards.

Actually I am more concerned about the Panthers big runs right up the middle.

Jake is more than likely going through the very last stages of becoming a backup QB but that doesn't mean he's "done" just yet. The guy has some talent; his problem is purely mental, IMO. THe pass he threw to Smith in the second half where he threw is accross the field and downfield about 25 yards with a db between himself and Smith was an excellent throw that many NFL qb's probably cannot make. But he keeps screwing himself and his team up by trying to do too much instead of taking what the defense gives him.

He's Brett Favre "Lite". Favre will still sometimes make stupid throws just because he thinks he can do anything he wants to with the football. But when Favre remembers reality , he becomes a solid qb again. If Jake could do that he would be a serviceable qb for a couple of years more.