Richt: Fumbles could cost Samuel job, but not yet.

SacFalcFan

By Tim Tucker

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ATHENS — Georgia coach Mark Richt expressed concern Tuesday about tailback Richard Samuel’s two fumbles Saturday night against Arkansas, although Richt suggested Samuel probably will keep his starting job for at least another week.

“I’m not too thrilled about it,” Richt said of Samuel’s fumbles. “I don’t know if we are ready to move him from the No. 1 position, but I would say if that kind of thing continued, we’d have to really consider whether or not he should start for us.”

Samuel’s first fumble gave Arkansas the ball on the Georgia 30-yard line in the first quarter, leading to a Razorbacks touchdown on the next play. Samuel recovered his second fumble.

The fumbles revived a concern coaches had last year about Samuel’s ball security.

“I just need to focus on holding on to the ball,” Samuel said Tuesday. “It’s real critical.”

Richt said this week’s plan against Arizona State is to play both Samuel, who had an 80-yard touchdown run last week, and Caleb King at tailback. King, who missed the season’s first two games with a pulled hamstring, had 60 yards on 11 carries against Arkansas and, Richt noted, protected the ball well.

King said he has “no clue” how much playing time he’ll get this week.

“It’s pretty much a game-time decision when they throw you in or not,” he said. “I trust in the coaches. They’ll make the right decision.”

Sun Devils kicker out

Arizona State’s Thomas Weber, the 2007 Lou Groza Award winner as the nation’s top placekicker, won’t be available against Georgia because of a groin injury. He’ll be out five or six games, Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson said Tuesday.

Weber did not play in the Sun Devils’ win over Louisiana-Monroe last week and was replaced by freshman Bobby Wenzig, who kicked a 24-yard field goal.

Erickson said Wenzig or senior linebacker Mike Nixon will handle the placekicking against Georgia.

Etc.

Georgia defensive coordinator Willie Martinez said some young players, including redshirt freshmen Bacarri Rambo and Sanders Commings, will get increased playing time in the secondary. ... Defensive tackle Jeff Owens was named to the American Football Coaches Association’s “Good Works Team,” which annually honors 11 major-college players nationally for community service.

*Thinks back to Arian Foster*

the first fumble can happen. he was looking to where he was going and made a bad play.. the 2nd fumble that he didn't lose really ticked me off.. we are running the clock down and richard fumbled the ball. that is a pathetic display for an rb. You can't keep the ball in your hands at that time.