How we measure up to the rest of the league

pzummo

After last night's game in Miami, I am starting to think Stats are not all that important, except the W and L.

Miami lead the Colts with all the stats but lost the game.

Ask Ronnie Brown if he'd rather have the impressive yardage stats ......................or the win.

I agree... W and L all that matters, although power rankings are a nice ego boost.. LMAO

Amazing the Colts only had the ball for 15 minutes.

After last night's game in Miami, I am starting to think Stats are not all that important, except the W and L.

Ask Ronnie Brown if he'd rather have the impressive yardage stats ......................or the win.

Umm, Miami lost in all 3 stats I noted as the only stats that matter. Scoring offense they had 23 (less than the Colts). Scoring defense they gave up 27 (more than the Colts). And their turnover differential last night was -1.

I agree... W and L all that matters, although power rankings are a nice ego boost.. LMAO

Amazing the Colts only had the ball for 15 minutes.

Because, like they said last night, it's not how many times you get the ball... it is what you do with it when you have it. Your offense is always going to have a the ball SOME, if you score TD's every time you touch it, you will be hard to beat.

While I agree, ultimately the W is all that matter statistically speaking, but there are stats that I keep an eye on.

Turnover differential is a big one to me. You definitely don't want to be giving the other teams more chances then they are giving you.

3rd down efficiency and Time of Possession. These kind of go hand in hand for me. Are you staying on the field on 3rd down and keeping the opposing offense off the field?

Another one that I like looking at is the Pass the Run play ratio. I love balance on offense. It may not mean that you are putting the most points on the board, but it means that a defense can't key on any single aspect of your offense. I, personally won't look at this stat until about 5 weeks into the season though.

Carolina had more yards than us as well but we one. Other than the score, the biggest stat in my opinion is turnovers. In most cases, if you protect the ball and force turnovers you win.

The most telling stat from the Miami game was they were only in the red zone twice in @45 mins. Otherwise they hit 3 out of 4 field goals. Sometimes the red zone efficiency stat may be useless since it ignores all of the times a team does not even make it to the 20.