The Little Things

falcndave

Things it is nice to know when facing New England.

1) In the light of Ben Watson's emergency, I'm glad to know our LBs practice against Tony G.

2) I'm glad our whole defense practices against a guy who gets rid of the ball in a hurry. Who is less likely to get sacked that Tom Brady...yes...you guessed it.

3) The Jets hurt the Pats in the middle of the field. Can you say our strength on their weakness.

4) Ryan's numbers are borderline godly. However, we all universally look at both games and agree with him when he says, "We left some points on the table." Imagine a game in which he feels we got all we could?

5) We covered kicks so well against Miami that Carolina wouldn't even try to take one out of the end zone. ST coverage units may be the best in the NFL. Point to better coverage units? Really. Name one. Yea...I didn't think so. Its nice to play on short fields with an offense that can drive it 90 yards on anyone.

There are more. I haven't even mention the tools we have a RB, OL and WR. If you don't think we have a chance to beat NE on the road, you don't live in reality.

I personally stop short of predicting victory, but I could see it happening in so many ways. On paper, I would argue we are better. Only the totality of my experience as a lifelong Falcons fan stops me from putting money on us :)

Well heres the facts as I see them.....

1) We CANNOT commit the types of drive killing penalties we have committed in the past 2 games. We spend entirely too much time in 3rd and longs, which on the road, you will not be nearly as successful.

2) We HAVE to run the football in short yardage situations much better. Let's face it - EVERY defense we face is going to stack the box in order to shut down Turner. We've got to make sure we seal the deal on these 3rd and shorts. Our O-line in the first 2 games has not pushed the defenders off the los nearly enough.

3) We HAVE to pressure Brady and maintain solid coverage in the secondary. I know this is obvious, but this is what teams have done and had success against the Pats.

We have to NOT give up big plays on 3rd and 15 and other 3rd and long situations. That kills me. Championship defenses don't let teams get first downs on 3rd and 16 plays. (See Green Bay a few years ago in the playoffs, killed by a 3rd and 16).

wasn't that the play that got Ed Donatell fired (and then promptly hired by McKay/Mora)?

wasn't that the play that got Ed Donatell fired (and then promptly hired by McKay/Mora)?

That is correct, and another poster was right.... it was more like 3rd and 24. This defense has been giving up these kinds of plays. We will have a winning record this year, but leaky defenses don't win playoff games. I'd be interested to see what the 3rd and long conversion stat is against us in the first two games. Especially the last game.

You pointed out something that has really helped us over these last two games and that is our special teams. Punt and kickoff coverage has been great. Keonan(sp) is looking like a Pro-bowler so TD might as well go ahead and get ready to pay him next year.

Good point.

The return game did get a little attention on NFL playbook today.

"Imagine a game in which he feels we got all we could?"

That's what I'm waiting for, falcndave

Well heres the facts as I see them.....

1) We CANNOT commit the types of drive killing penalties we have committed in the past 2 games. We spend entirely too much time in 3rd and longs, which on the road, you will not be nearly as successful.

2) We HAVE to run the football in short yardage situations much better. Let's face it - EVERY defense we face is going to stack the box in order to shut down Turner. We've got to make sure we seal the deal on these 3rd and shorts. Our O-line in the first 2 games has not pushed the defenders off the los nearly enough.

3) We HAVE to pressure Brady and maintain solid coverage in the secondary. I know this is obvious, but this is what teams have done and had success against the Pats.

I agree just watched Patriots/Jets game on NFL Game rewind ( which is petty **** cool) They can run the ball with Taylor and Mulroney and we all know about their passing game. Falcons need to keep that offense off the field and have some long drives on the Patriots aging defense. Jets blitzed like crazy and it was effective but our corners had better stick to Moss,Galloway, and Welker if he plays cause even when pressured Brady's passes weren't that far off. I have no doubt the Patriots play much better this week and it will take the Falcons playing relatively mistake free to win.