Three way competition for Jerry's starting spot

BlacksburgHokie

Falcons | Three to compete for starting DT job

Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:13:02 -0700

CBSSports.com reports Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith said DTs Thomas Johnson, Trey Lewis and Vance Walker will compete for the starting defense tackle job which is now vacant because of the injury to DT Peria Jerry (knee).

----

Who do you think wins?

CBSSports.com reports Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith said DTs Thomas Johnson, Trey Lewis and Vance Walker will compete for the starting defense tackle job which is now vacant because of the injury to DT Peria Jerry (knee).

----

Who do you think wins?

I don't know but I think all three can contribute.

----

Who do you think wins?

Trey

That was a nice thing for Smith to say and It is really true but the reality is

Johnson played 34 of 59 snaps in game 1

Johnson played a lot in game 2 (no. not posted yet)

Lewis did not dress out for game 1 and 2

Walker was on the PS during games 1 and 2

It will be hard to change the coaching staffs mind

That was a nice thing for Smith to say and It is really true but the reality is

Johnson played 34 of 59 snaps in game 1

Johnson played a lot in game 2 (no. not posted yet)

Lewis did not dress out for game 1 and 2

Walker was on the PS during games 1 and 2

It will be hard to change the coaching staffs mind

Yeah i know that Johnson is going to start, but it does mean that Trey will get a good amount of playing time to prove himself. I actually hope that they take activate 4 DT's

Yeah i know that Johnson is going to start, but it does mean that Trey will get a good amount of playing time to prove himself. I actually hope that they take activate 4 DT's

Oh yes he'll probably get the roll Johnson had in game 1

Johnson subbed for Babs 17 plays in game 1

Johnson subbed for Perry 17 plays in game 1

I expect Lewis will be doing that in game 3

EDIT although since Johnson can play both slots they may leave him at that and just start Lewis in Jerry's place

QUOTE (BenB321 @ Sep 22 2009, 09:08 AM)

I don't know but I think all three can contribute. If McKay was still our GM we would be in real trouble because he never understood the concept of building quality depth on a team like TD does. Thanks for nothing McKay!

McKay was no TD... HOWEVER, he did sign John Abraham, picked Jonathan Babineux,Roddy White , Michael Jenkins and steered Arthur Blank to TD as GM....AND he is still a member of the Falcons "team" R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

I don't know but I think all three can contribute. If McKay was still our GM we would be in real trouble because he never understood the concept of building quality depth on a team like TD does. Thanks for nothing McKay!

McKay was no TD... HOWEVER, he did sign John Abraham, picked Jonathan Babineux,Roddy White , Michael Jenkins and steered Arthur Blank to TD as GM....AND he is still a member of the Falcons "team" R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

...not to mention his hands were tied with that ALBATROSS Michael Vicks overbloated contract . He should have stopped AB from overpaying/ interfering on MV and his undeserved contract, as it tied our hands with the salary cap ....made it impossible to sign quality depth. Now, we have a better QB at less money.

...not to mention his hands were tied with that ALBATROSS Michael Vicks overbloated contract . He should have stopped AB from overpaying/ interfering on MV and his undeserved contract, as it tied our hands with the salary cap ....made it impossible to sign quality depth. Now, we have a better QB at less money.

Speaking of Vick's ridiculous contract, I think that finally comes off the books after this season.

He was stripped of all of his GM duties by Mr. Blank who obviously disagrees with your assessement that he was a good GM. No where in your post have you contradicted my point that McKay did not build quality depth in his four years as GM of the team.

Jamaal is a member of the "team" and I have very lttle R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for him as well. Just because I don't act like a male cheerleader like you doesn't mean I'm not a fan. I approach it like a grown man who is able to look at things objectively and give praise and criticism where it is warranted. Believe me the coaching staff and the mgt rip players in their private coaching meetings. Grow up.

They shouldn't really call it the starting spot.

More like, "Who will start the rotation".

Johnson, Babs, and Lewis/Walker rotation should be fine in my opinion.

And I am anxious to see if Lewis or Walker play with additional urgency now that they are getting a shot.

Like Dahl and Clabo, some folks just need a shot.

Here's hoping!

I believe Thomas Johnson will get the start, cause of the three, he was the only one active and playing.

^ This. ^

Lewis might take over eventurally, but it's Johnson's job to lose.

Losing Jerry hurts us somewhat, but I believe we can still generate enough pass rush opposite Abraham to make up the slack. I don't know where that pass rush during the better part of the Panthers game, but hopefully Bierman/Davis/Anderson can help rattle Tom Brady this weekend. We'll need some heavy pressure on him to win this game.