How effective will our pass rush be?

MondayNightRedman

in the first game we had excellent pressure leading to 4 sacks, sunday delhomme had all day to throw the ball......so which version will we see this sunday? I think after watching the jets game that mike smith will blitz more, hopefully get nicholas more involved in the pass rush, maybe even see jamaal or sidbury rushing from a 3 technique to be one on one with the guards. If we give brady as much time as was given to delhomme we will have a shootout on our hands and we dont want that.

On the other hand though, Tom Brady is on pace to break the record for most passes attempted, so the question with for us is, with 50 balls going in the air is this good or bad for our defense?

NO !!! DONT BLITZ!!

Brady loves to dump the ball on short passes. Its like an extension of the running game. We are much better off playing short zones and trying to bring 4 or 5 guys. Make them go on long 15 play drives to score. No short passes for long gainers.

If we force long drives and then take long drives ourselves, we are going to shorten the game and increase our chances of winning.

NO !!! DONT BLITZ!!

Brady loves to dump the ball on short passes. Its like an extension of the running game. We are much better off playing short zones and trying to bring 4 or 5 guys. Make them go on long 15 play drives to score. No short passes for long gainers.

If we force long drives and then take long drives ourselves, we are going to shorten the game and increase our chances of winning.

I like everything you said except force long drives. We do not want our defense on the field for long periods of time.

We have to blitz the crap out of them. The Pats o-line isn't like it used to be and Brady is not 100% mentally with that knee. We need to bring everyone and hope our DB's can cover their good WR corp. Houston on Moss is freakin' the **** outta me.

i doubt we see much one on one with moss, brackett coverage on him and allow houston or williams to be one on one with welker

Has anyone who said not to blitz watch the game yesterday? The Jets got in Brady's face all day and made him hurry, That is what we need to do. If I was Smitty I would make sure our D watches how the Jets blitzed.

The jets have the proper personell to blitz. They can comfortably leave their corners in an island. I **** sure dont wanna see Houston on an island with welker. That would get ugly quick. We really have to get it with our front four first. If that works then blitzing will be even twice as effective. If we cant get in there then just expect the bending but not breaking.

We cant just NOT blitz. We have to blitz. We just have to do the right blitz at the right time and try not to leave ourselves too vulnerable in certain spots. And we have to use different blitzes.

Agreed, we have to put some kinda presuuer on Brady, because if you don't and he becomes comfotable in that pocket, WATCH OUT!!!!

Agreed, we have to put some kinda presuuer on Brady, because if you don't and he becomes comfotable in that pocket, WATCH OUT!!!!

I think our D-line would be able to put the pressure... Carolina game was fluke since they know us better than PATS or Miami.. We play Panthers, SAINTs and BUcs twice a year ... They know our weakness and we know theirs..

Normally blitzing would be a very bad idea against NE, but if Welker is out and Brady acts as skittish with rushers in his face as he did last week, it may just be our best option.

Not to say we should blitz on every play, but we need to do everything we can to avoid turning this into a 7-on-7 drill where Brady can just pick us apart as a statue in the pocket...

We have to blitz smart. We can't just throw 7 guys at them, we'll get burnt. We can't just sit back and let Brady pick us apart, though. The Jets have a perfect defense to face the Pats.

I think we might get a few looks for the first time this season at our 3-4 Package, because we're going to need to get a little more exotic on defense if we're going to beat these guys.

But i still ask the question are we better off or worse off with the ball being in the air that many times? Abe being able to just pin his ears back and go most of the game could get ugly, we have to bring at least 5 and 6 guys alot this game to create one on one matchups with the o line or get someone matched up with a RB.....we are going to struggle to get a push up the middle with Jerry out and bringing a lb up the middle, even if just to get someone on the ground around Bradys feet could pay off huge for us....i could see us playing 3 D-ends at bumping babineaux to the nose tackle on passing downs

Welkers status will be a huge factor for this game. Brady has faced a lot of pressure and I am sure that they will be expecting more this game. That means we have to watch for the screen. The screen with Wes Welker or Randy moss behind blockers is about as scary as it gets. Our DBs and LBs must be able to tackle and limit those plays to short gains. I was not as happy with our tackling against the Panthers it cost us a couple of 3rd down conversions and everyone remembers the touchdown on Houston.

I figured the only way we would get consistent pressure was if we came up the middle with the pressure that is how the eagles got into Jakes face. The strongest point of their oline was the outside with Gross and Otah. I think the Pats may be comparable to the panthers o-line. I know most people on the boards hate the guy and have had several jokes at his expense but Kris Jenkins is a freaking monster I have not seen many guys move the patriots interior lineman back like that. It is him and maybe Justin Tuck in the Superbowl. He flushed Tom all day and the guys that were blitzing got most of the credit. My dogs Babs, Trey, TJ, and Vance have got to move that line of scrimmage backwards or Terrific Tom will be leading off Sportcenter

Welkers status will be a huge factor for this game. Brady has faced a lot of pressure and I am sure that they will be expecting more this game. That means we have to watch for the screen. The screen with Wes Welker or Randy moss behind blockers is about as scary as it gets. Our DBs and LBs must be able to tackle and limit those plays to short gains. I was not as happy with our tackling against the Panthers it cost us a couple of 3rd down conversions and everyone remembers the touchdown on Houston.

I figured the only way we would get consistent pressure was if we came up the middle with the pressure that is how the eagles got into Jakes face. The strongest point of their oline was the outside with Gross and Otah. I think the Pats may be comparable to the panthers o-line. I know most people on the boards hate the guy and have had several jokes at his expense but Kris Jenkins is a freaking monster I have not seen many guys move the patriots interior lineman back like that. It is him and maybe Justin Tuck in the Superbowl. He flushed Tom all day and the guys that were blitzing got most of the credit. My dogs Babs, Trey, TJ, and Vance have got to move that line of scrimmage backwards or Terrific Tom will be leading off Sportcenter

Injury aside Kris Jenkins going to the Jets is the best thing that has happened for his career. He's a absolute monster in the 3-4 scheme, a monster.