Looking back at the Draft

Thelonious Mingus

FALCONS 2009 DRAFT PICKS

1st Rd. (No. 24 overall) DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss (Out for the year and will be 26 next year)

2nd Rd. (No. 55 overall) S William Moore, Missouri (Injured)

3rd Rd. (No. 90 overall) CB Chris Owens, San Jose St. (Alright so far)

4th Rd. (No. 125 overall) DE Lawrence Sidbury, Richmond (Okay I guess)

5th Rd. (No. 138 overall)*$ CB William Middleton, Furman (Now a Jaguar)

5th Rd. (No. 156 overall)^ T Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina (Potential)

6th Round (No. 176 overall)# LB Spencer Adkins, Miami (Potential)

7th Round (No. 210 overall)^ DT Vance Walker, Georgia Tech(Potential)

Overall I am not as impressed as I was on draft day. But we still have plenty enough time to wait and see.

Here is my view

Jerry- unfortnate injury but injuries do happen

Moore- I am actually glad that he is getting healthly and we can afford to keep him on the sideline to do so. Decoud playing solid and developing at FS is a plus.

Owens - We saw flashes and i think this kid is going to be a good CB for us, he just needs time

Sibury - He is on the 53 man roster and gets a few reps, but Beirmann stepping up is a good thing

Adkins - This is my favorite pick and I think he has the most potential of all our picks, and made the 53 man rosters as a non-starter at Miami and as a 5th round pick over a Solid Vet in Jamie Winborn

Middleton - Due to a FA picksups/Trade it got crowded at CB, but he was just picked up on a 53 so he has some talent

Reynolds - ?

Walker - Dude showed flashes in preseason, and is currently on the 53

So 5 out of our 7 picks on on the 53 and have a chance to contribute = not a waste of a draft. I think the draft in 2008 has spoiled us.

FALCONS 2009 DRAFT PICKS

1st Rd. (No. 24 overall) DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss (Out for the year and will be 26 next year)

I was very impressed with the kid. Tough injury. I didn't want him at first, but he was looking very good

2nd Rd. (No. 55 overall) S William Moore, Missouri (Injured)

This pick is annoying me..it was great value...but a risk/reward pick..that was obvious when a top ten talent slipped to #55...I still like the pick, though as he has a huge ceiling

3rd Rd. (No. 90 overall) CB Chris Owens, San Jose St. (Alright so far)

Excellent STs player and an immense talent. For a third rounder? Very good so far

4th Rd. (No. 125 overall) DE Lawrence Sidbury, Richmond (Okay I guess)

Great value and great depth. Truth be known between Abe , Biermann's emergence and chauncy and JA98 playing well, how do you get him in? Again a great value, insurance policy and a chance to develop

5th Rd. (No. 138 overall)*$ CB William Middleton, Furman (Now a Jaguar)

ok, don't understand this one

5th Rd. (No. 156 overall)^ T Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina (Potential)

Thank god he's on the bench..

6th Round (No. 176 overall)# LB Spencer Adkins, Miami (Potential)

7th Round (No. 210 overall)^ DT Vance Walker, Georgia Tech(Potential)

Overall I am not as impressed as I was on draft day. But we still have plenty enough time to wait and see.

Vance is now on the roster. I think its easy to look at this class and go "not so great" but the fact is we werent relying on a lot of these picks to step up and be starters. Jerry being the exception. Moore was going to compete with Decoud all along. I think we have something in Owens, but he is raw and Williams was a great signing.

Bottom line, other than the heartbreaking loss of Jerry for season, this was not a bad draft at all

The difference between selecting 3rd and 24th... also having 2 first rounders last year. Peria has potential but is injury prone, William Moore the same. The rest of picks I have no clue on but hopefully they can be solid contributors... especially Vance Walker with Jerry being out.

Players get injured and in college alot of times they play through injuries. I am glad that we can rest Moore since we have Decoud and Coleman playing solid at the safety position. One thing about our Coaches is that they dont play players coming back from injuries unless they have too.

Vance is now on the roster. I think its easy to look at this class and go "not so great" but the fact is we werent relying on a lot of these picks to step up and be starters. Jerry being the exception. Moore was going to compete with Decoud all along. I think we have something in Owens, but he is raw and Williams was a great signing.

Bottom line, other than the heartbreaking loss of Jerry for season, this was not a bad draft at all

Salmon i think that it takes a mature, knowledgeable fan to understand that fact.

Wow dumb thread.

How can we control injuries?

Sidbury okay? What do you expect from him? He has done well when given the opportunity.

For the most part you can't, but there are two proven ways to minimize injuries. The first is through proper conditioning and we have one of the best guys in the business covering that. The second is to avoid drafting players with a history. TD took a calculated risk in the first and second rounds, and at the moment, he's losing his bets. It's too early to say if he's permanently in the red with these picks - I think the long term potential of Jerry and Moore is still positive, but there's room for a little apprehension.

I hate these topics ... how far do we want to go?

-) We shouldn't have traded Favre?

-) We shouldn't have drafted Vick?

-) We shouldn't taken Willis instead of JA98?

It is what it is, there are things in the NFL you can't control and injuries are one of them. Stop complaining. We will be fine.

Here is my view

Jerry- unfortnate injury but injuries do happen

Moore- I am actually glad that he is getting healthly and we can afford to keep him on the sideline to do so. Decoud playing solid and developing at FS is a plus.

Owens - We saw flashes and i think this kid is going to be a good CB for us, he just needs time

Sibury - He is on the 53 man roster and gets a few reps, but Beirmann stepping up is a good thing

Adkins - This is my favorite pick and I think he has the most potential of all our picks, and made the 53 man rosters as a non-starter at Miami and as a 5th round pick over a Solid Vet in Jamie Winborn

Middleton - Due to a FA picksups/Trade it got crowded at CB, but he was just picked up on a 53 so he has some talent

Reynolds - ?

Walker - Dude showed flashes in preseason, and is currently on the 53

So 5 out of our 7 picks on on the 53 and have a chance to contribute = not a waste of a draft. I think the draft in 2008 has spoiled us.

Very well written ... it's the NFL and injuries will happen, people always react as if it was something new ... and as if it was the end of the world.

Look at it this way ...

1st Round Peria Jerry Starter (Injured Reserve Now)

2nd Round William Moore 2nd String

3rd Round Christopher Owens 2nd String

4th Round Lawrence Sidbury 3rd String

5th Round Willima Middleton Practice Squad

5th Round Garrett Reynolds 2nd String

6th Round Spencer Adkins 2nd String

7th Round Vance Walker 2nd String

In one draft we got 8 players thats :

1 Starter (Now Injured Reserve)

5 Second String Players

1 Third String Player

1 Practice Squad Player

That is an awesome draft.

Look at it this way ...

1st Round Peria Jerry Starter (Injured Reserve Now)

2nd Round William Moore 2nd String

3rd Round Christopher Owens 2nd String

4th Round Lawrence Sidbury 3rd String

5th Round Willima Middleton Practice Squad

5th Round Garrett Reynolds 2nd String

6th Round Spencer Adkins 2nd String

7th Round Vance Walker 2nd String

In one draft we got 8 players thats :

1 Starter (Now Injured Reserve)

5 Second String Players

1 Third String Player

1 Practice Squad Player

That is an awesome draft.

Your PS player was signed by the Jaguars to their 53 man roster today According to this board

so 7 are on a 53 man roster somewhere and 1 is on IR

I don't know what the intent of this thread is but not every rookie is going make an immediate impact. We got one solid starter in Jerry and some depth in key position with guys like Moore & Owens making the DB position very competitive. These guys can develop and become solid starters in the future. I think an evaluation of the 2009 draft pick should be made after 3 years in 2011. Look at the guys who stepped up from the 2008 draft. DeCoud is now a starter who is playing well. Bierman took a major step forward and is in the game on passing situations.