Rapid Reports 9/20/09/ Gameday reports

Lowndesfalc

Linkage

Sunday, September 20, 2009

5:47:49 pm During today's game against Carolina, Falcons QB Matt Ryan had a stretch of 13 completed passes in a row. "It was a good rhythm," Ryan said. "I thought we did a good job getting open and running the right routes...If you're going to complete that many passes in a row, it requires great concentration from everyone."

5:46:49 pm Maybe it's because of the lack of wins in recent years in Kansas City, but TE Tony Gonzalez admitted he was a tad afraid the Panthers were going to come back and tie the game. "I was kind of scared at the end, I thought they were going to come back," Gonzalez said. "But I'm just glad to be a part of a team like this."

5:46:18 pm The Falcons' offensive line protected QB Matt Ryan well all game, not allowing a single sack. "For much of the day I didn't get touched," Ryan said. "And that's a credit to the guys up front."

5:45:40 pm Facing fourth down and up eight points with under three minutes left, Falcons CB Chris Houston picked off a pass intended for Carolina WR Steve Smith at the goal line. "(Smith) went inside, but he didn't go hard," Houston said. "When he didn't go hard, I knew he was coming out so I played like I didn't know and baited (QB Jake Delhomme) to throw it."

5:45:08 pm Veteran Falcons LB Mike Peterson led by example today, totaling nine tackles, forcing a fumble and catching a blocked punt. "It's nothing I'm not familiar with," Peterson said when asked about his leadership role. "I was asked to come in and lead the young guys on the field and help this team win."

5:44:31 pm On QB Matt Ryan's touchdown throw to WR Roddy White late in the second quarter, the ball appeared to the wobble a bit - so Ryan was asked if it was tipped. "No, it was just a duck," Ryan said, laughing. "...It wasn't tipped, just an ugly ball."

5:43:21 pm In the third quarter the Falcons made a concerted effort to run the ball in the third quarter, rushing 12 times for 52 yards (Atlanta had 71 yards on 14 carries at halftime). "To the core of what we do, we want to be a team that runs the football," coach Mike Smith said.

4:14:13 pm In the preseason, much was made as to who would start opposite of John Abraham. Regardless of who started, when the game mattered most DE Kroy Biermann was in the game.

4:12:51 pm So far this season, as well as last season, the Falcons have been a bend-but-don't-break defense. Atlanta came up with the big defensive play when it needed to with CB Chris Houston picking off QB Jake Delhomme on the goal line.

4:03:20 pm On Carolina's two possessions in the second half, it has run the ball just seven times. As Atlanta plays better teams throughout the season, its secondary will likely get attacked over and over again.

3:44:39 pm Falcons DTPeria Jerry has been carted off into the team's locker room.

3:43:11 pm Falcons DT Peria Jerry was able to get to his feet, but wasn't able to put much power on his left leg as he limped to the sideline.

3:42:39 pm Falcons DTPeria Jerry was injured on a play and hasn't gotten up yet.

3:32:34 pm Four Falcons have now tallied touchdowns against Carolina today:Michael Turner (rushing), Tony Gonzalez (receiving), Roddy White (receiving) and Jason Snelling (receiving).

3:26:49 pm Through three quarters, the Falcons have run for 113 yards. Atlanta would have probably liked to have run the ball more but the passing game has been extremely efficient, giving little reason for concern.

3:17:10 pm Falcons LB Mike Peterson has been everywhere today. Peterson forced a key fumble on DeAngelo Williams on the Panthers' last drive. He also caught a blocked punt in mid-air and is leading the team in tackles with seven.

2:56:58 pm Nothing has been confirmed on RB Jerious Norwood's head injury, but he has not been spotted on the Falcons' sideline as the second half opens up.

2:54:17 pm Carolina seems to be daring Atlanta to beat them through the air - and the Falcons are. QB Matt Ryan has completed 76 percent of his passes and has had lots of time to throw the ball.

2:37:32 pm With his touchdown pass to WR Roddy White, QB Matt Ryan has now thrown three touchdowns in one half for the first time in his career.

2:22:43 pm Whereas WR Brian Finneran saw a lot of time at the No. 3 receiver spot last week, WR Marty Booker has emerged in that role today. Booker has been targeted three times so far, catching two passes for 42 yards.

2:12:40 pm Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez's got behind LB Thomas Davis for a touchdown, showing his ability to work the middle. That makes it incredibly hard for teams to defend the Falcons offense.

2:03:27 pm RB Jerious Norwood, who injured his head, is standing on the sideline. His helmet is off, and he is walking around.

1:59:13 pm Falcons CB Brian Williams is proving his worth as a free agent signee. In addition to blocking Carolina's punt, he's played an integral part on Atlanta's defense since moving into the starting lineup in short notice.

1:42:54 pm It's obvious the Falcons want to establish the run. But that becomes difficult when penalties keep backing them up. So far, the Falcons have three penalties - all of which have come at inopportune times.

1:42:21 pm Things are getting a little chippy early at the Georgia Dome. Already, Falcons OG Harvey Dahl and Panthers LB James Anderson have been flagged for 15-yard personal fouls -- and it's only the middle of the first quarter.

1:41:14 pm Falcons RB Jerious Norwood has a head injury. His status and return to the game is questionable.

1:39:04 pm The Falcons' opening drive stalled out, partly because of a 15-yard personal foul penalty on OG Harvey Dahl. Atlanta started sluggish last week too, something this offense doesn't need given its weapons and balance.

1:36:43 pm Considering all the talent Atlanta has on offense, Falcons P Michael Koenen might be one of the most valuable weapons they have. His punts are rarely returned, and pinning Carolina deep in its own territory helped the defense play a little more aggressive than on the previous possession.

1:23:27 pm As good as Atlanta's defense was last week, what possibly went unnoticed was Miami not testing the Falcons deep all game. Carolina tested Atlanta early on two long completions to Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad.

12:21:17 pm Also inactive for Atlanta today: QB John Parker Wilson, RB Verron Haynes, LB Spencer Adkins, OT Garrett Reynolds and OG Quinn Ojinnaka.

11:52:07 am Falcons CB Tye Hill and DT Trey Lewis are also inactive for today's game against Carolina.

11:51:21 am Falcons S William Moore is inactive for today's game against Carolina. Earlier this week, Moore said he had expected to play.