After 43 years of watching football - can someone tell me what is a catch?

Rev_Hal

I'm 43, and yes I started watching football as an infant. What is up with all of thest stupid catch rules? It is ridiculous. For 100 years we have know what a stinking catch is. The competition and rules committee has run out of things to debate.

If someone catches the ball, the ball is caught. If you have to watch the catch in super slow-mo 15 times to determine if it was a catch, then it was a catch.

The new rules are driving me nuts.

I'm 43, and yes I started watching football as an infant. What is up with all of thest stupid catch rules? It is ridiculous. For 100 years we have know what a stinking catch is. The competition and rules committee has run out of things to debate.

If someone catches the ball, the ball is caught. If you have to watch the catch in super slow-mo 15 times to determine if it was a catch, then it was a catch.

The new rules are driving me nuts.

PREACH BROTHER!

I shouldn't have to curse like a sailor on Sundays.

As bad as the rule is, the officials have been relatively consistent about the whole "if you fall down in the process of making the catch, you have to control of the ball" thing. Until yesterday. If the Rosario had not juggled the ball as he was turning, it would have been a close call, but since he did, it wasn't even a hard call and they still got it wrong.

It's a good thing we won, because later this week Mike Pereira will be feeding Rich Eisen some load of crap about how it was the right call, and if the Falcons would have lost, that would probably cause me to throw a diet pepsi through my tv.

Since we won, I'll just laugh and call Pereira names.

In my opinion (regardless of the rules) it was a catch. He held on to it and the ball crossed the plane of the goal line.

My issue was that, in my opinion, he didn't establish that he had control of the ball. Yes, the ball had broken the plane of the goal line, but I didn't see as where he actually had control as he fell to the ground. But, since it didn't end up being a factor, I'm cool with it.

As bad as the rule is, the officials have been relatively consistent about the whole "if you fall down in the process of making the catch, you have to control of the ball" thing. Until yesterday. If the Rosario had not juggled the ball as he was turning, it would have been a close call, but since he did, it wasn't even a hard call and they still got it wrong.

It's a good thing we won, because later this week Mike Pereira will be feeding Rich Eisen some load of crap about how it was the right call, and if the Falcons would have lost, that would probably cause me to throw a diet pepsi through my tv.

Since we won, I'll just laugh and call Pereira names.

X2 :lol: