Rev's thoughts from the Panthers game

Rev_Hal

I learned a lot from the game this weekend, but the bottom line is that I am loving what I am seeing. This is going to be a fun year.

1. Out of the 26 & under QB’s in the league (Ryan, Flacco, Rodgers, Stafford, Edwards, Sanchez), Ryan is far and away the best. I believe that this batch of young QB’s is the best this league has seen in years. Ryan tops that list. His ability to read a defense and make a quick decision is amazing. Add in his arm strength and accuracy, and this guy is special. I think in just a few short years we will know that this is the best QB in the history of this organization.

2. The Ryan interception in the first half did not bother me in the slightest. Ryan was trying to make a play and stared down Booker. That is a mistake that every veteran QB makes from time to time. No big deal. If that was his only brain fart of the day, I can happily live with that.

3. The pass rush was non-existent. Zero. Nada. We played the shakiest, most easily rattled QB in the league and got little to no pressure on him all day long. That was a bit surprising and a bit alarming. The Jets just gave us the blueprint of how to beat the Pats, and we need to be able to pressure the QB. This was the only real disappointment of the day.

4. We did an outstanding job stopping the run. Carolina racked up some yardage, but the running game did not bowl us over. This was a huge test for this defense, and we passed.

5. My MVP award goes to Sam Baker. He owned Peppers. He kept Peppers out of the game – a complete non-factor. What was surprising was the number of times he blocked Peppers in solo situations. If he can stay healthy, he is going to be a beast.

6. Turner had a solid day. No spectacular runs, but was able to get us 5-6 yard chunks when we needed it. We had a lot of 3rd and short’s yesterday. It was a blue collar performance, but was a critical factor.

7. I said it once, but Jason Snelling could be a big factor in this offense. As many of you know, I am becoming disillusioned with the oft-injured Norwood, and Snelling did what we needed him to do – he came in and made plays. He is a play maker. A TD reception and 37 yards rushing from the #3 back was nice to see. He deserves more playing time that he gets.

8. My favorite site of the day was Finneran playing safety. I hope that when it is all said and done, Brian Finneran will be remembered by the fans of this city for being the gritty consistent team player that he has been here for years. When his days are over here, I will remember Finn fondly in the same way I think of Bob Christian and Scott Case. He’s not the best receiver we’ve had, but he has always worked hard and contributed. I love the guy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Rev, I know you love Norwood as we all do.

The guy took an awful hit in the preseason, and he was simply vulnerable

to getting another Ding.

I think that in small part, our guys are too eager to play and they

tell the Coach "Im good to go".

The other problem is that the NFL is a Win Now, and that forces Coaches

to put the player in instead of benching him so he can recover.

Please do not bring up last years Rib Injury.

Great points, although I'd like to add one gripe:

This new "catch" rule is too easily misinterpreted and needs to be changed. Roddy's "drop" was a catch and fumble which he recovered himself. However, the correct call was made on the Carolina TD.

I have no idea what a catch is anymore. :angry:

I am concerned about how poor the pass rush was, and how having pressure on Delhomme was the obvious way to beat them up. I guess if our corners were better at man-to-man we could blitz more often and more creatively. WIth that much time, Brady could get 500 yards passing.

It's true that the pass rush was pretty sub par yesterday, but I also give credit to CAR in mixing up the play calling for a good portion of the game keeping our D off balance. Their line did a good job yesterday.

1. Out of the 26 & under QB’s in the league (Ryan, Flacco, Rodgers, Stafford, Edwards, Sanchez), Ryan is far and away the best. I believe that this batch of young QB’s is the best this league has seen in years. Ryan tops that list. His ability to read a defense and make a quick decision is amazing. Add in his arm strength and accuracy, and this guy is special. I think in just a few short years we will know that this is the best QB in the history of this organization.

100% agree we finally have our franchise QB

2. The Ryan interception in the first half did not bother me in the slightest. Ryan was trying to make a play and stared down Booker. That is a mistake that every veteran QB makes from time to time. No big deal. If that was his only brain fart of the day, I can happily live with that.

well said

3. The pass rush was non-existent. Zero. Nada. We played the shakiest, most easily rattled QB in the league and got little to no pressure on him all day long. That was a bit surprising and a bit alarming. The Jets just gave us the blueprint of how to beat the Pats, and we need to be able to pressure the QB. This was the only real disappointment of the day.

I was also very disappointed in our pass rush or lack of it. I just knew after last week we would give Delhomme fits instead he throws for 300+ yrds and saves his job for now.

4. We did an outstanding job stopping the run. Carolina racked up some yardage, but the running game did not bowl us over. This was a huge test for this defense, and we passed.

We did an ok job slowing down the run. To me this is still one of our achilles heel in our defense and until we improve other teams will start to use this as a blueprint against us.

5. My MVP award goes to Sam Baker. He owned Peppers. He kept Peppers out of the game – a complete non-factor. What was surprising was the number of times he blocked Peppers in solo situations. If he can stay healthy, he is going to be a beast.

I don't think Peppers is playing up to his ability he just looked like he was going through the motions until he is traded you won't see the old Pep.

6. Turner had a solid day. No spectacular runs, but was able to get us 5-6 yard chunks when we needed it. We had a lot of 3rd and short’s yesterday. It was a blue collar performance, but was a critical factor.

100 % agree and I don't think he is up to speed yet and will only get better as the year progresses.

7. I said it once, but Jason Snelling could be a big factor in this offense. As many of you know, I am becoming disillusioned with the oft-injured Norwood, and Snelling did what we needed him to do – he came in and made plays. He is a play maker. A TD reception and 37 yards rushing from the #3 back was nice to see. He deserves more playing time that he gets.

100% agree I love Norwood but you have to give props to Snelling. We truly have a 3 headed monster in the backfield.

8. My favorite site of the day was Finneran playing safety. I hope that when it is all said and done, Brian Finneran will be remembered by the fans of this city for being the gritty consistent team player that he has been here for years. When his days are over here, I will remember Finn fondly in the same way I think of Bob Christian and Scott Case. He’s not the best receiver we’ve had, but he has always worked hard and contributed. I love the guy.

100% agree Finn is a great player and to come back form that knee injury to play at this level is remarkable.

GREAT write-up REV

I would also like to give props to Peterson and Decoud for their outstanding play.

I learned a lot from the game this weekend, but the bottom line is that I am loving what I am seeing. This is going to be a fun year.

1. Out of the 26 & under QB's in the league (Ryan, Flacco, Rodgers, Stafford, Edwards, Sanchez), Ryan is far and away the best. I believe that this batch of young QB's is the best this league has seen in years. Ryan tops that list. His ability to read a defense and make a quick decision is amazing. Add in his arm strength and accuracy, and this guy is special. I think in just a few short years we will know that this is the best QB in the history of this organization.

Some good points here...nice job.

Here's one of the many ways Matt Ryan differs from you and me: that interception did bother him. It woke him up. He might have been a little embarrassed by it; but he was certainly more focused after it.

This is why you just may be right about point 1.

And Houston -- he stepped up his game big time with two HUGE plays while he was isolated on Steve Smith.

Houston did as wella s he could chasing Smith around all day. Houston is a solid player - he's just not a shutdown man-to-man corner. But the good news is that he gets better every week.

My 2 cents:

This was more the Falcons that I expected to see last week. The defense played out of their minds last week - which was great to see - but yesterday was more closely to what pundits have predicted about the '09 Defense. Now, that's not a bad thing - I think the D will continue to improve, and of course week 1 showed the potential that is there. But yesterday, there were too many plays that exploited our D.

The offense kept us in the game with scoring and ball control / clock eating. After watching pre season, I felt like we were in for a year of "they score, then we score. Then they score, then we score...etc." That's kind of what happened.

It was a hard fought game. It was a great win for ATL. I agree with Rev. - this is gonna be a fun year!

The Jets just showed the world how to beat the Pats - by sending 5-7 people on passing situations. I don't think we have the defensive backfield to do that.

Again, I agree. What enabled the Jets to be able to bring those guys in the first place is that their DBs were able to hold Moss, Galloway and that Wes Welker wanna-be in check downfield. It's the same formula as what the Giants used to defeat the Pats in the Super Bowl - it all starts with getting pressure on Brady. It's a mindset, and even though we don't have the ideal DBs to pull it off (consistently), we still need to go into Foxboro with the MINDSET that that's exactly what we're going to do.

Who knows? Our DBs might just decide to step it up for this one. I sure hope so anyway.

My MVP would be Koenen. All his kickoffs were touchbacks. His last and most important punt was his best punt of the season. When the Panthers needed good field position, Koenen made sure they did not get it.

Again, I agree. What enabled the Jets to be able to bring those guys in the first place is that their DBs were able to hold Moss, Galloway and that Wes Welker wanna-be in check downfield. It's the same formula as what the Giants used to defeat the Pats in the Super Bowl - it all starts with getting pressure on Brady. It's a mindset, and even though we don't have the ideal DBs to pull it off (consistently), we still need to go into Foxboro with the MINDSET that that's exactly what we're going to do.

Who knows? Our DBs might just decide to step it up for this one. I sure hope so anyway.

I think we have a good shot of winning in NE, and I also know we are not going undefeated this season. Either way, I think Smith and Van Gorder will have this team prepared to put up a fight!