Some of the Bad News This Week, or Falcons vs Saints Schedules

Firstiary

Let's just say the NFC South comes down to the Falcons and Saints. The toughest away games the Saints have outside of the division is @PHI and ... @WAS? @ ... MIA???

Saints Schedule

Already the ball is bouncing their way, because they got to play PHI on the road, but vs Kolb rather than McNabb. The Saints have almost no tough road games now that they beat the Eagles.

Look at these games we've got on our schedule:

@NE

@DAL

@NYG

And two games that could be much tougher than we think:

@NYJ

@SF

I'd be thrilled to go 3-2 in those six games, and 2-3 honestly wouldn't be terrible.

Falcons Schedule

Add to this that the Falcons and the Saints each play two teams that the other doesn't. We play the Bears and Niners, while they play the Lions and the Rams (wow).

My conclusions:

1. We probably have to beat the Saints in both of our games against them to win the NFC South and there's a chance that even that wouldn't be enough. Realistically, the chance of us winning both contests is probably no more than 25%.

2. Ergo, we're most likely looking at a wildcard playoff berth if we make it in.

Now maybe the Saints will fall apart even if we split our games against them, but their schedule is so much easier than ours and that's going to play heavily in their favor. We have to play every single game like it counts, because we're likely competing for a wildcard spot. Our games with the Bears, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins, and 49ers could be the deciding factors between any of them and us winning a wildcard berth.

Of course this also means that this is an incredibly exciting exciting season for us, with lots of tough games that will decide out fates. Go Falcons!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just say the NFC South comes down to the Falcons and Saints. The toughest away games the Saints have outside of the division is @PHI and ... @WAS? @ ... MIA???

Saints Schedule

Already the ball is bouncing their way, because they got to play PHI on the road, but vs Kolb rather than McNabb. The Saints have almost no tough road games now that they beat the Eagles.

@NE

@DAL

@NYG

@PHI

@NYJ

@SF

I'd be thrilled to go 3-3 in those six games, and 2-4 honestly wouldn't be terrible.

Falcons Schedule

Add to this that the Falcons and the Saints each play two teams that the other doesn't. We play the Bears and Niners, while they play the Lions and the Rams (wow).

My conclusions:

1. We probably have to beat the Saints in both of our games against them to win the NFC South and there's a chance that even that wouldn't be enough. Realistically, the chance of us winning both contests is probably no more than 25%.

2. Ergo, we're most likely looking at a wildcard playoff berth if we make it in.

Now maybe the Saints will fall apart even if we split our games against them, but their schedule is so much easier than ours and that's going to play heavily in their favor. We have to play every single game like it counts, because we're likely competing for a wildcard spot. Our games with the Bears, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins, and 49ers could be the deciding factors between any of them and us winning a wildcard berth.

Of course this also means that this is an incredibly exciting exciting season for us, with lots of tough games that will decide out fates. Go Falcons!

We have a "real' football team. Yes, our schedule is tough, but were gonna be ok. Were in better shape this year than last.

We have a "real' football team. Yes, our schedule is tough, but were gonna be ok. Were in better shape this year than last.

True, but if we don't win the NFC South--and that's going to be very tough due to our schedules vs the Saints' schedule--then there goes our chance at having any home games in the playoffs. Now, if we play out of our minds and whip teams like the Giants, Pats, Cowboys, Eagles, Niners, and Jets on the road, and if the Saints fall down, then maybe we'll win the South after all. But meanwhile, the Saints will be playing most of those teams at home and going up against the Lions and Rams.

The Saints have to be considered the favorites to win the NFC South right now. We've won two home games. They've already won their toughest road game on their schedule coming into this year (the Eagles).

If we win the South anyway, then we could be the team to beat in the NFC, depending on how some other teams look.

As much as I dislike the Saints you have to give them a little credit.. They beat a top defense, a defense that picked off a qb 4 times last week. The Linc isn't a easy place to play by any means so to get a road win is huge for them.

All we can do is focus on the teams that we play and handle our business.

Saints Schedule

@NE

@DAL

@NYG

@PHI

@NYJ

@SF

I'd be thrilled to go 3-3 in those six games, and 2-4 honestly wouldn't be terrible.

Falcons Schedule

My conclusions:

Have you watched any of these teams play? They are not who they once were.

Stop whining. Everyone here wants to believe that the NFC South is the new NFC East, but how can we not have a tough schedule? The East have tough schedules year after year. Last year for us the schedule was relatively easy. If we want to play to our potential then we need to play a harder schedule to demand it.

If we win 10 games this year, we have a high probability of making it further into the playoffs. The Saints don't have really any hard matches, and if they make it to the playoffs they may be severely unprepared.

Here's another way to look at it. We're both 2-0. Let's say we split our games vs the Saints (winning in NO won't be easy). Then both teams have 12 more games to play. The hard fact is, our schedule in those other 12 games is MUCH harder than theirs is. So we'd be doing well just to finish with the same record as the Saints. Then look at the first three NFL tiebreakers for the division winner:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

If we finish with the same intradivisional record, then #3 isn't likely to favor us since they already beat the Eagles and since in our common games we play the Giants, Cowboys, and Patriots on the road while the Saints play them at home. And in #4 they get the Rams and Lions while we get the Bears and Niners. #5 would probably favor us (it's like Strength of Schedule), but it would be unlikely to go that far.

Our best chance in that case is to hope that the Saints lose a game within the division that we don't, or that we can beat them in both games. Those intradivisional games will be huge for both teams, obviously. Maybe Delhomme can get his mojo back vs NO :)

I'm not saying we can't win the South, because I think the Falcons one **** of a good team, but the sheer odds favor the Saints at this point due to the schedule.

Stop whining. Everyone here wants to believe that the NFC South is the new NFC East, but how can we not have a tough schedule? The East have tough schedules year after year. Last year for us the schedule was relatively easy. If we want to play to our potential then we need to play a harder schedule to demand it.

If we win 10 games this year, we have a high probability of making it further into the playoffs. The Saints don't have really any hard matches, and if they make it to the playoffs they may be severely unprepared.

First of all, nothing I said was whining. Your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

Second, the Saints will have tough games vs teams like the Pats, Giants, and Cowboys (and us), at the very least. They're just more likely to be able to rest some guys in the later stages of games vs teams like the Lions and Rams than we are.

They have a considerably easier schedule than we do, especially going forward. That just makes our job harder. And if we don't win the South, our playoff chances take a hit since we'd be playing all playoff games on the road (the Colts last year were a wildcard team at 12-4).

Here's another way to look at it. We're both 2-0. Let's say we split our games vs the Saints (winning in NO won't be easy). Then both teams have 13 more games to play. The hard fact is, our schedule in those other 13 games is MUCH harder than theirs is. So we'd be doing well just to finish with the same record as the Saints. Then look at the first three NFL tiebreakers for the division winner:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

If we finish with the same intradivisional record, then #3 isn't likely to favor us since they already beat the Eagles and since in our common games we play the Giants, Cowboys, and Patriots on the road while the Saints play them at home. And in #4 they get the Rams and Lions while we get the Bears and Niners. #5 would probably favor us (it's like Strength of Schedule), but it would be unlikely to go that far.

Our best chance in that case is to hope that the Saints lose a game within the division that we don't, or that we can beat them in both games. Those intradivisional games will be huge for both teams, obviously. Maybe Delhomme can get his mojo back vs NO :)

I'm not saying we can't win the South, because I think the Falcons one **** of a good team, but the sheer odds favor the Saints at this point due to the schedule.

Theres only a two game difference between the Falcons schedule and the Saint schedule. We have Chicago/SF, they have St Louis/Detroit. Though those two games are easier than ours, I wouldnt say that it gives them any distinct advantage. The bottom line remains that if we continue to take care of business, we'll be fine. I think we have the proper scheme to keep them off the field and most importantly we have a substantial amount of insight into their defense through the acquisition of Brian Williams and Mike Peterson. That should help....

That's silly because the Saints have this nasty habit of blowing home games and this Falcons team won't do that.

Saint's were 6-2 last year at home in an 8-8 season. We were 7-1 in an 11-5 season.

How 'bout an avatar bet then? I wouldn't make you wear anything too crazy.

If the Saints have a better record than the Falcons vs NE, NYG, and DAL than we do, I win. If the Falcons do, you win. If it's a tie, then neither wins. I'll take three home games and you take three road games.

Of course, I'd hope you win, and I think you might, but I'd still take that bet.

It really doesn't matter who is perceived to be the favorite at this point. The Saints have beaten the worst team in NFL history and a team with a complete stiff at QB so far this year. It's hard to say what that proves about them. I'm not convinced that they are significantly better than last year.

Saint's were 6-2 last year at home in an 8-8 season. We were 7-1 in an 11-5 season.

How 'bout an avatar bet then? I wouldn't make you wear anything too crazy.

If the Saints have a better record than the Falcons vs NE, NYG, and DAL than we do, I win. If the Falcons do, you win. If it's a tie, then neither wins. I'll take three home games and you take three road games.

Of course, I'd hope you win, and I think you might, but I'd still take that bet.

Sig bets are stupid, and I don't know why you are so anxious to be proven right about this. You did bring up another good point though. The Saints suck on the road. Yeah they beat a team with a horrible QB this week, but they have a lot of tough road games ahead.

Theres only a two game difference between the Falcons schedule and the Saint schedule. We have Chicago/SF, they have St Louis/Detroit. Though those two games are easier than ours, I wouldnt say that it gives them any distinct advantage.

We play the same teams, but we play the toughest opponents on the road, and they play their toughest opponents at home. That's another big advantage they have.

They probably go 2-0 vs the Rams and Lions. We get the Bears at home luckily, but the Niners won't be pushovers in SF. We could easily go 1-1 in those two, maybe even lose both.

What concerns me even more is us playing NE, NYG, DAL, and then NYJ and SF on the road. Their toughest road games outside of the NFC South are now WAS and MIA and BUF.

Yeah they beat a team with a horrible QB this week, but they have a lot of tough road games ahead.

Well that's exactly what I pointed out as not being true in the OP.

Their remaining road games outside of the division:

@BUF

@MIA

@STL

@WAS

Our remaining road games outside of the division:

@NE

@NYG

@DAL

@SF

@NYJ

Really no comparison there, right? I'm not trying to argue with you btw.

Go on a journey and peruse other teams' messageboards. Go on sites like foxsports and cbssportsline. It is a good way to gauge how fans of other teams feel about our team.

The common consensus is the Falcons offense is balanced and dangerous and the defense is still questionable but so far so good. We might have a tough road schedule, but it isn't like those teams and their fans don't consider us a tough opponent.

For example: Patriots fans, unless they are lying, are worried about this Sunday. Barely escaping the Bills and looking sloppy against the Jets, the Patriots (yes, I am about to say this) are going to have their hands full this Sunday. If Brady doesn't return to SB form and soon, they'll be staring 1-2 right in the face as we fly out to prepare for SF (underrated team that is righting their ship).

Well that's exactly what I pointed out as not being true in the OP.

Their remaining road games outside of the division:

@BUF

@MIA

@STL

@WAS

Our remaining road games outside of the division:

@NE

@NYG

@DAL

@SF

@NYJ

Really no comparison there, right? I'm not trying to argue with you btw.

Ok, here is the thing. I think the Falcons are more capable of winning at Carolina than New Orleans, I think Miami is a tough road game, and I know that they are capable of losing to the Redskins. Also, I think they are much more likely to lose games at home than the Falcons since their home schedule includes New England, Dallas, Giants, Jets.

The other thing is ....I just think the Falcons are flat better.

We play the same teams, but we play the toughest opponents on the road, and they play their toughest opponents at home. That's another big advantage they have.

They probably go 2-0 vs the Rams and Lions. We get the Bears at home luckily, but the Niners won't be pushovers in SF. We could easily go 1-1 in those two, maybe even lose both.

What concerns me even more is us playing NE, NYG, DAL, and then NYJ and SF on the road. Their toughest road games outside of the NFC South are now WAS and MIA and BUF.

And we could easily beat Chicago and SF and go 2-0 there. The road/home thing doesnt terrify me much....it is what it is. At this point we look better than every time in the AFC East. We look better than everyteam in the NFC East. We most likely wont win all those games but at this point we've been more impressive.

And the easiest way to ensure that we take tie breakers is to avoid a tie....or beat them twice.

We're a team that has made mistakes and still looked good, and dominant at times. I think that bodes well.

I really don't know, but I certainly hope so. Unfortunately due to the schedules, even if we are flat better than them, they could still win the South and/or finish with the same record as us and win the tiebreakers.

The road games for the two teams @CAR will be huge, I agree. That could be an edge for us.

Ok, here is the thing. I think the Falcons are more capable of winning at Carolina than New Orleans, I think Miami is a tough road game, and I know that they are capable of losing to the Redskins. Also, I think they are much more likely to lose games at home than the Falcons since their home schedule includes New England, Dallas, Giants, Jets.

But DeAngelo Hall is on the Redskins....Drew Brees loves DeAngelo Hall...