Falcons already looking for replacement DTs?

BlacksburgHokie

I had the pleasure of covering the Carolina-Atlanta game with ESPN.com colleague Len Pasquarelli. Since my background includes a lengthy stint as a beat writer covering Carolina, and Len’s includes an even longer stint as a beat writer covering the Falcons, we stayed true to that in our postgame columns. I wrote about Jake Delhomme and Carolina and Len wrote about Matt Ryan and Atlanta.

But there’s one thing on the Falcons I want to bring up here because it could be hugely significant. The injury to Atlanta rookie defensive tackle Peria Jerry did not appear to be a small one. It looked bad at the time and I’ve even heard some rumblings that Atlanta’s pro personnel staff already is looking at available defensive tackles (ask the Panthers, there’s not much out there right now).

We should get stronger word on Jerry’s injury on Monday, but I don’t think I’m going out on a limb by projecting that he’s at least going to miss some time. This is a major concern because Jerry was off to a nice start.

With Thomas Johnson and Trey Lewis as the backup defensive tackles, the Falcons aren’t exactly loaded at this position.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

I had the pleasure of covering the Carolina-Atlanta game with ESPN.com colleague Len Pasquarelli.

But there's one thing on the Falcons I want to bring up here because it could be hugely significant. The injury to Atlanta rookie defensive tackle Peria Jerry did not appear to be a small one. It looked bad at the time and I've even heard some rumblings that Atlanta's pro personnel staff already is looking at available defensive tackles (ask the Panthers, there's not much out there right now).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

If there's anyone out there, TD will find him.

Terdell Sands.

NO! I don't want a guy named Terd on the team. Seriously.

As for a fifth for Henderson I can't see that at all. They aren't just going to give him away when everyone knows that space eating DT's are a commodity.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst is always a solid philosophy. I really think that we have enough right now to keep moving forward.

Watching Anderson I say he may actually be better suited to play inside than out due to his inability to play out in space on the edge. With his tall frame perhaps he can get some up the middle pressure and create a wall for the QB to have to throw over.

Also Johnson has had alot of supporters so far so perhaps this is going to be his time to step up and take advantage of an opportunity and the same can be said for Lewis.

Also aren't the Falcons the ones who say, "we don't really have starters because we have a rotation." By that philosophy the hole shouldn't be as big to fill as on other teams or at other positions on our own team.

obviously Lewis is either no completely back or the Staff just doesn't feel he fits the system. Walker must not be ready and they think he needs some more seasoning. These are the only things I can think of if TD has already sent his staff out to look.

You say "obviously"??? I read the article, things are not so obvious to me at this time. I'm willing to wait until I hear more Monday thru Wednesday.

If PJ is out for a bit or a while, its an opportunity for the other guys. Personally, I think we've got some guys who could step up. I think Trey is ready. His motor, strength, understanding, & durability are gonna surprise a few on the MB.