Missed the game, need some info

schwarzenegger321

Okay, so I had to work and missed the game. I was able to catch the entire first half and a few minutes of the second on an AM radio station here in Raleigh. I think it was a feed from Atl. radio. Anyway, I need someone to fill me in on a few things and give me an accurate representation of what really happened, both good and bad. Here is what I took from the radio broadcast. Please fill in the blanks and let me know if accurate.

1. We were getting almost no pass rush the entire game. Very little blitzing and the front four were getting stopped.

2. The right side of the line was having a hard time stopping the up field push of the Carolina Dline. I heard two plays where Dahl got dominated and both were for TFL (Turner -5 and I can't remember the other).

3. Gonzo is a beast and really uses his whole body to catch the ball. Ryan is really comfortable with him.

4. Ryan was inaccurate early 3 - 6 with a couple of low balls that Gonzo went and got or it might have been 2 - 6. But, he really got comfortable and started nailing his target.

5. Peterson is a Beast. According to the radio he was flying around like a mad man and really lighting people up. He broke up a couple of passes and was getting to the ball carrier quick.

6. Guys on the radio said Lofton was flying. He is extremely fast for a MLB and has no problem getting to the ball.

7. Our DE's, including Abe were getting dominated by the tackles all day. There were a couple of long runs 10+ yards where the radio guys said the DE's were getting owned and failed to do their jobs resulting in big plays. They didnt specify when I was listening but on one play they said Abe was driven into Lofton who would have made the tackle at the line of scrimage if he wasnt triped up by his own man.

8. Roddie was not running good routes. On two occassions they specifically said Roddy ran an extremely poor route (1st time) and the second he just gave up and stopped running. Both were completions to other recievers (1st to Gonzo and cant remember the second).

9. Our pass protection was very good. Ryan had a lot of time to throw and was almost never pressured.

10 We took Peppers almost completely out of the game.

11. Smith is a freak and made our corners look bad a couple of times, but overall the secondary look decent. They actually gave Houston props a couple of times and talked about how he made really good plays. Once they said even though Smith caught the ball, he would have on any CB but Houston's play kept him to no YAC.

12. Carolina was really stacking the box. Both commentators on the Radio were saying how they couldnt believe how many times Carolina would walk up 8 or 9 and that eventually teams are going to have to stop focusing on Turner or Ryan is going to have a 500 yard game one day (their words).

Those are the major ones. These were Atl. radio announcers, but I don't know who they were because I never listen to Falcons radio (Station: 1410am in Raleigh)

Not bad.

I only want to comment on #8. I thought Roddy did just fine running routes. However, there was a play down in the redzone where it was obviously designed for the ball to go to TG, and TG caught it. On that play, I could see Roddy just kind of trotting towards the endzone in the background. He had a guy on him, but he wasn't trying to get open. But I think it was more by design than by mistake.

In the Gameday thread, many were pissing and whining about benching Turner. But the OL wasn't helping him that much, or it was a combo of that and he just wasn't hitting the holes like he normally does. We've gotten spoiled watching him rip up defenses all day. He didn't do too bad. 100 plus yards for the day.

The only thing I disagree with was the one about Ryan looking inaccurate at first. I thought he was extremely sharp the entire game. He hit something like 80% of his passes.

You're right about our DE's getting dominated and lack of pass rush in general. I watched Bierman alot. He was almost non-existent. I think Jamaal actually looked stronger than anyone against the run. Babs had a little pressure.

We should have blitzed more, imo. EVERY time we got heat on Delhomme he rushed a throw and looked bad. Heck, we couldn't cover Smith and Mooch with seven guys, what's the difference with 3 or 4? I'd have been blitzing almost every play.

The only thing I disagree with was the one about Ryan looking inaccurate at first. I thought he was extremely sharp the entire game. He hit something like 80% of his passes.

You're right about our DE's getting dominated and lack of pass rush in general. I watched Bierman alot. He was almost non-existent. I think Jamaal actually looked stronger than anyone against the run. Babs had a little pressure.

We should have blitzed more, imo. EVERY time we got heat on Delhomme he rushed a throw and looked bad. Heck, we couldn't cover Smith and Mooch with seven guys, what's the difference with 3 or 4? I'd have been blitzing almost every play.

Ryan was getting the ball in the vicinity, and TonyG was helping Ryan's stats with awesome catches. But Ryan wasn't bad by any means. He had a couple of really nice looking passes where he threw the ball to a spot before the wr made his break.,

On one long run, it was easy to see that da Beerman was held badly. Plus, he did get to Dhomo once and banged his arm to cause an incompletion. Other than that, Dehomo had too much time except for one play where Nicholas blitzed and got a sack.

On that play where Gonzo made the amzing catch close to the ground, Ryan had to throw it there, because otherwise the defender would have knocked it down or intercepted it. It was a GREAT pass and an even better catch.

Except for the INT, I don't remember Matt Ryan throwing a bad pass today. He played an amazing football game.

Falcon pass rush.

Has been and continues to be.........................mediocre.

In any losses we suffer this season, the major reason will be..............LACK OF PASS RUSH.

End of story.

Definitely weak today. The Falcons have to find a way to pressure Brady next week, he did not respond well to the pressure today at all.

I'll post my notes in a couple days after I break down the game but these are the things that come to mind right away:

-Tony and Roddy are on a page with Ryan

-Both Olines were good. Especially CAR's. They put on an as beatin clinic today

-Our defense may come along sooner than we thought. 2-0 14 ppg. That's stout.

-Snelling is not William Andrews but he has the same skill set. Smart, strong, can run, catch and block.

-I think Jerious got another concussion. Take it from someone who got em playing football. Worst injury outside of an ACL.

-Good game. Enjoyed it

-Oh and Busterson's still the All Time Top 10 NFL DE Bust

Okay, so I had to work and missed the game. I was able to catch the entire first half and a few minutes of the second on an AM radio station here in Raleigh. I think it was a feed from Atl. radio. Anyway, I need someone to fill me in on a few things and give me an accurate representation of what really happened, both good and bad. Here is what I took from the radio broadcast. Please fill in the blanks and let me know if accurate.

1. We were getting almost no pass rush the entire game. Very little blitzing and the front four were getting stopped.

2. The right side of the line was having a hard time stopping the up field push of the Carolina Dline. I heard two plays where Dahl got dominated and both were for TFL (Turner -5 and I can't remember the other).

3. Gonzo is a beast and really uses his whole body to catch the ball. Ryan is really comfortable with him.

4. Ryan was inaccurate early 3 - 6 with a couple of low balls that Gonzo went and got or it might have been 2 - 6. But, he really got comfortable and started nailing his target.

5. Peterson is a Beast. According to the radio he was flying around like a mad man and really lighting people up. He broke up a couple of passes and was getting to the ball carrier quick.

6. Guys on the radio said Lofton was flying. He is extremely fast for a MLB and has no problem getting to the ball.

7. Our DE's, including Abe were getting dominated by the tackles all day. There were a couple of long runs 10+ yards where the radio guys said the DE's were getting owned and failed to do their jobs resulting in big plays. They didnt specify when I was listening but on one play they said Abe was driven into Lofton who would have made the tackle at the line of scrimage if he wasnt triped up by his own man.

8. Roddie was not running good routes. On two occassions they specifically said Roddy ran an extremely poor route (1st time) and the second he just gave up and stopped running. Both were completions to other recievers (1st to Gonzo and cant remember the second).

9. Our pass protection was very good. Ryan had a lot of time to throw and was almost never pressured.

10 We took Peppers almost completely out of the game.

11. Smith is a freak and made our corners look bad a couple of times, but overall the secondary look decent. They actually gave Houston props a couple of times and talked about how he made really good plays. Once they said even though Smith caught the ball, he would have on any CB but Houston's play kept him to no YAC.

12. Carolina was really stacking the box. Both commentators on the Radio were saying how they couldnt believe how many times Carolina would walk up 8 or 9 and that eventually teams are going to have to stop focusing on Turner or Ryan is going to have a 500 yard game one day (their words).

Those are the major ones. These were Atl. radio announcers, but I don't know who they were because I never listen to Falcons radio (Station: 1410am in Raleigh)

Ill try, remember im a NZer tho :lol:

1. I think we just got stopped by the panthers O-line, who played very well today.

2. - pass

3. Gonzo played like the future HOF he is, and good chemistry between him and Ryan.

4. Ryan got better as the game went on, started slow but made up for anything later on in the game.

5. Peterson is a beast yes.

6. Lofton was flying around made a great TFL on a Williams(?) run

7. Dont remember the tripping over each other play, but our D-Line was beaten today by the Panthers O-Line who really made up for their game last week

8. Dont know about that, i thought Roddy played well.

9. Pass protection was good this week, no sacks allowed is always good.

10. Only remember Peppers being in one play were Ryan ran away from him apart from that he was well contained.

11. S Smith was fairly well held by our secondary but he still played like the good player he is, was impressed with the coverage on him.

12. Turner was almost non existent until later in the game, cant remember if they continually stacked the box though.

There you go, my attempts at answering the questions, hopefully someone with more knowledge has already, or will answer them for ya.

I disagree with blitzing more. Reference all preseason games. If we put our DBs on a island they are more likely to sink than swim. Once our new additions are up to speed...maybe. For now, bring on the vanillia. Just win baby.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to be able to catch a replay of the game. I really want to see how our Dline played and how come our running game is still not clicking. From the things I heard on the radio after the game it sounded like Carolina was really afraid we were going to run all over them and not until Matty started lightening them up did they drop back and actually try and stop the pass.

I think any defense we play is screwed. I can see teams keeping the box stacked though and hoping they can match us point for point. If they stop the run and make us score on passing we cannot control the clock as much and they will have more time to work.

Worried about our Dline. We cannot afford to give up 140+ yards on the ground every game and 300+ yards passing with no sacks.