The Behind the Back Handoff

Rock Howard

The Falcons have not run many gadget plays so far this year. This is understandable since this offense doesn't have to get cute to be effective. Still I was pleased to see that the coaches ran one nifty play taking advantage of Ryan's exceptional ball faking ability.

The "fake pass behind the back handoff" basically worked but there was a glaring problem. Ryan was staring right at the running lane instead of out at the receiver who he supposedly threw the ball too. I think this mistake contributed to the play being bottled up just beyond the LOS.

Clean it up Matty! Looking off defenders can be an issue on run plays as well as pass plays!

Bottomline: I am willing to live without the gadget plays, but let's keep working in those inventive ball fakes as part of the game plan.

The Falcons have not run many gadget plays so far this year. This is understandable since this offense doesn't have to get cute to be effective. Still I was pleased to see that the coaches ran one nifty play taking advantage of Ryan's exceptional ball faking ability.

The "fake pass behind the back handoff" basically worked but there was a glaring problem. Ryan was staring right at the running lane instead of out at the receiver who he supposedly threw the ball too. I think this mistake contributed to the play being bottled up just beyond the LOS.

Clean it up Matty! Looking off defenders can be an issue on run plays as well as pass plays!

Bottomline: I am willing to live without the gadget plays, but let's keep working in those inventive ball fakes as part of the game plan.

Weird, as I saw him do exactly that...