Joe Cox named National Offensive Player of the Week.

SacFalcFan

Georgia’s Joe Cox Named Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week

ATHENS, Ga. --- Georgia senior quarterback Joe Cox has been named the Walter Camp Football Foundation Bowl Championship Subdivision National Offensive Player of the Week following his performance versus Arkansas, according to an announcement on Sunday.

Cox, a native of Charlotte, N.C., completed 18-of-25 passes (72 percent) for a career-high 375 yards and tied a school record with five touchdown passes. He led the 21st-ranked Bulldogs to a 52-41 win on the road over the Razorbacks in Fayetteville, Ark.

Cox now joins Matthew Stafford (Georgia Tech, 2008), D.J. Shockley (Boise State, 2005) and David Greene (LSU, 2004) as the only Georgia quarterbacks to have five touchdown passes in a single game. For the year, Cox is 50-of-79 for 738 yards and has eight touchdowns and only three interceptions.

Cox connected on scoring plays of 21, 25, 50, 44 and 28 yards as Georgia improved to 2-1, 2-0 in the Southeastern Conference.

The Bulldogs return to action against Arizona State in Athens on Saturday, Sept. 26. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game will be shown on ESPNU.

Cox has definitely made leaps in easing my questions about him being the QB after game 1. He has been great since then.... had to have been the flu and fatigue, which is still frustrating because I will always feel like we could have won that game if our coaches hadn't hit the snooze button.

And our defense continuing to give up so many yards and points is troubling. Petrino is a great offensive mind in college football, so it's understandable... especially with a QB of Mallett's caliber and with the skill guys Arkansas has. If Arkansas builds a tough defense, I think they could hang with anyone in the country in a year or so. That offense is going to put up some points.

Anyways, good job to Joe Cox.

Cox is in an interesting situation. A guy who knows the complete playbook and has "done it" mentally for the past 4 years along with being a leader. On the other hand, due to lack of play time, he is really a freshman in terms of getting up to the game speed and managing the game. The USC play when he threw a pick to Norwood was a great example of his not knowing the game speed-- kinda like a star freshman who thinks he can make every throw. I expected great improvement from him in his first few games, and he should only get better. I think the flu really impacted his OK State peformance, so maybe the improvement seems exaggerated, but JC is a really good QB, and more than DJ Shockley or Joe T., reminds me of David Greene. Only, he'll go through his journey in one year. I think his response to the adversity he has faced on and off the field, and his growth as a QB is very positive. He's probably 95% there, now that he's won on the road in an SEC game after being down significantly. Given another week to iron out any kinks against ASU, and we probably have a "complete" Joe Cox by LSU. I'm excited.