jamie dukes uses a woodshed reference

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame...he-call-in-2010

listen to the last few seconds of this and im sure he says to the presenter 'im going to take him (jason la canfora) to the woodshed'

is this an afmb reference do you think or is it commony used?

Woodshed is commonly used. It has two meanings. One in reference to getting a beat down. The other in reference to practicing. For instance if you're a drummer you can go in the woodshed, which means practice.

very commonly used; especially in the 70's and 80's I would say. When one team just romps the he77 out of the other it's called taking them behind the woodshed. Today we are much less metaphorical and far more graphic in our descriptions of such things so the woodshed reference goes largely unused. But it's still lurking, waiting.....patiently, for the opportunity to pounce and reclaim it's rightful spot among populist catchphrases. IT WILL NOT BE IGNORED! :angry:

Rural parents used to take their misbehaving child out to the woodshed to whip him or her really good so their crying wouldn't upset the rest of the people in the house. Usually the threat of being 'taken to the woodshed' was enough to stop any future misbehaviors cold.

It became a common saying for giving (or receiving) a sound beating.

A shame parents don't still do this, as that generation that got 'abused' with physical discipline like this went on to overcome both the Great Depression and the Germans and Japanese in WWII.

Rural parents used to take their misbehaving child out to the woodshed to whip him or her really good so their crying wouldn't upset the rest of the people in the house. Usually the threat of being 'taken to the woodshed' was enough to stop any future misbehaviors cold.

A shame parents don't still do this, as that generation that got 'abused' with physical discipline like this went on to overcome both the Great Depression and the Germans and Japanese in WWII.

The very reason I have such misgivings about the "hickory stick" award

Not sure I understand what you mean by misgivings. Are you opposed to physical discipline of children, or something else?

Football is a physical game. Somebody is going to get beat, and somebody is going to do the beating.

It's certainly better than "beat them like a slave" or "beat them like a rented mule" or "beat them like a red-headed step-child." as at least some people approve of corporal punishment of children, whereas the above 3 examples are truly abusive.

In any case I would rather the Falcons be the 'beat-ers' than the recipient.

Commonly Used? Perhaps so, nut that all depends on how you wont to look at it.

Commonly Used, TATF and those who Commonly use our Forum for juicy tidbits.

Fox Sports

ESPN

NFL Network...... Eisen and Dukies

These guys take to our Forum Bigtime and you can hear the echo's at least one a week from all of them.

They are easy to bait,

So true, parents today because of their lack of discipline and political correctness are raising kids to be lazy, unmotivated and weak. The fact is society doesn't want men to stand up and be strong so you wind up with a screwed up society that has been overly feminized. I say stand up and stuff their political correct bull down their throats.

For example, Lane Kiffin is going to the woodshed today.

The very reason I have such misgivings about the "hickory stick" award

You don't understand the award then. It is a very good thing for our Falcons to take opponents to the woodshed.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

WTF?!?!?!?!

I love the Hick'ry stick award. It has to be the single best thread of the week during the season!

Yep, I very much enjoy that thread as well. Tandy does a great job reminding us of individual performances, and more often that not, I read something in there that I forgot about or missed during the game.

He's saying the hick'ry stick award brings back memories of times he's been taken behind the woodshed.

:D

So true, parents today because of their lack of discipline and political correctness are raising kids to be lazy, unmotivated and weak. The fact is society doesn't want men to stand up and be strong so you wind up with a screwed up society that has been overly feminized. I say stand up and stuff their political correct bull down their throats.

Feminized?

You evidently didn't grow up with a Black mother!

She was the one who gave us the whippings when i was growing up--yes and with a hickory switch!

Feminized?

You evidently didn't grow up with a Black mother!

She was the one who gave us the whippings when i was growing up--yes and with a hickory switch!

Sounds like your mother knew how to discipline but I grew up with a mother that all she had to say was wait until your father gets home and we got in line real quick. One thing about mothers is they are great and necessary but they can never teach a boy to be a man only a father can do that.

Sounds like your mother knew how to discipline but I grew up with a mother that all she had to say was wait until your father gets home and we got in line real quick. One thing about mothers is they are great and necessary but they can never teach a boy to be a man only a father can do that.

:lol: :lol:

We preferred being whipped by our dad--he only used a belt.

Um..and that last statement: there are plenty of real men who grew up with only a mother

:lol: :lol:

We preferred being whipped by our dad--he only used a belt.

Um..and that last statement: there are plenty of real men who grew up with only a mother

Sounds like you better mind your manners around your Mom. :D

You're fooling yourself if you believe a women can teach a boy to be a man. When I see these little boys crying and whining like a bunch of babies and their Moms letting them get away with it it makes me sick. A father is going to jack his little butt up and tell him to stop crying real quick. The absence of fathers in the lives of so many males is a HUGE factor in the overall disfunctionality of our society. That is the truth and there is no way to get around it.