Adalius Thomas fined $5,000

Peyton

I don't remember seeing that one but I do remember one on Vince Wilfork that was a horrible call

The one on Adalius Thomas was on the last Bills TD drive. He wrapped up Trent Edwards and then slung him to the ground, and they called roughing. I don't know what he was supposed to do differently.

And yes, the Wilfork call was equally atrocious.

The one on Adalius Thomas was on the last Bills TD drive. He wrapped up Trent Edwards and then slung him to the ground, and they called roughing. I don't know what he was supposed to do differently.

And yes, the Wilfork call was equally atrocious.

I can only go by your description of the play since I don't remember it. But if what your said is 100% correct that is why.

"He wrapped up Trent Edwards and then slung him to the ground" In the N.F.L. you can't wrap up a QB then sling him to the ground. Heck you can't hit him hard 2 seconds after he throws the ball even if your running full speed, you have to some how pull up even if it means you pull your hamstrings and blow out both your knees you not a QB so youe expendable. :wacko:

Here's why:

1. Edwards drops back then scrambles in the backfield.

2. Adalius Thomas wraps up Edwards

3. Ref blows the whistle

4. Then Adalius Thomas picks Edwards up and piledrives him.

That's why there was a penalty + fine. Whistle was blown then Thomas picks up Edwards and slams him anyway.

It seems like the ref knew that Edwards wasn't going anywhere and blew the whistle to protect him and end the play. Thomas wanted to get his shot in anyway though...

I don't buy that the whistle blew at all, it happened so fast. There have been plenty of times that I've seen quarterbacks who were wrapped up throw the ball, so the defender has to try and get them to the ground. Ben Roethlesberger throws the ball while wrapped up about 5 times a game.

This guy gets it.

NFL No Longer Rewarding Those Who Hit Hardest

Eric OrtizHome » About Eric » Adalius Thomas Fine Proves NFL No Longer Rewarding Those Who Hit the Hardestby Eric Ortiz on Sep 18, 2009 9:02:22 PM

Hardy “Thumper” Brown would be filing for bankruptcy by the end of September if he played in today’s NFL.

Deacon Jones would need to work at least three jobs during the week to play on Sundays, just to keep from going broke.

**** “Night Train” Lane might not make it through one game.

The NFL was built on big hitters, but all of them would have a tough time lasting in the 21st century version of the game. We’re not saying the league has gone soft, but tiddlywinks is considering filing a lawsuit for infringing on its right to be nonaggressive.

The 2009 season is less than two weeks old, and the NFL already has begun handing out questionable fines like Tic Tacs. Adalius Thomas is the latest player to be a little lighter in the wallet because of a dubious call. The Patriots’ linebacker was docked $5,000 by the NFL for “roughing” Trent Edwards. The officials ruled that Thomas unnecessarily slammed Edwards to the ground. But from every replay angle, it looked like a good, clean, hard tackle. Thomas was just finishing the play as Edwards fought to wiggle free and keep the play alive. There was no evil intent. No ill will. No harm, no foul, no blood, no ambulance.

It was football. Sam Huff would call it justice. Willie Lanier would call it supper. The referees called a penalty.

Maybe the zebras would have preferred if Thomas gently tucked in Edwards with a glass of warm milk, a cookie and a bedtime story.

Look, we know the NFL wants to protect quarterbacks this season. Nobody wants to see Tom Brady – or any player -- sit out 15 3/4 games because of an injury. But football is a contact sport. There are inherent risks in a game where people run into each other on purpose. That’s why players take home more in a week than most people earn in a year.

If the league wants to start making it illegal to tackle quarterbacks, the game could get watered down quick. That’s when the NFL’s bottom line could be impacted.

The more fines the NFL hands out for questionable calls, the less likely players might be to make big hits. The less big hits, the less exciting product on the field. Less excitement equals less interest. Less interest means less revenue. And less revenue is a big problem.

The rules were put in place to protect the players, but there's a difference between protection and coddling. The latter is what could end up hurting the game.

The call on the field didn’t affect the outcome of the Patriots-Bills game, but is it so far-fetched to think one of the new rules – intended to make the game safer -- could influence a final score?

The Adalius Thomas fine was meant to send a message to all 32 teams -- handle every signal-caller with care. But being too careful could be detrimental to the overall health of the NFL. The league didn’t become America’s sport because it reminds people of needlepoint.

I heard the whistle when the play happened. Too bad we don't have a vid of the play. Articles also say it tho:

"In the fourth quarter of the Patriots’ 25-24 victory Monday over Buffalo, Thomas wrapped Bills quarterback Trent Edwards before bringing him to the ground. Thomas was flagged for roughing the passer, and yesterday he received a letter from the league citing he had been fined for slamming Edwards to the ground after the whistle was blown."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...d_5000_for_hit/

"Thomas was flagged for roughing the passer when he threw Edwards to the ground after the whistle had blown the play dead."

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/neweng...-to-brady-rule/

There would be no penalty or fine if the whistle hadn't been blown yet.

I saw it a whole bunch of times and I think those articles are just innacurate. Maybe the whistle did blow but I think Thomas was already in the process of bringing him down.

When they made this call in the game, it was horrible. Instead of fining him, the league should be issuing him an apology for making such an awful call. I mean, what was he supposed to do on that play?

The NFL is turning into a joke, Commish Goodell has no clue how to run a SPORT! He does know how to run a BUSINESS though! -_-

such a shame!

That game was sad to watch. Since the NFL has been changing rules lately I would love to see them remove stripping from the game so teams like the Pats could lose when they should. I have no problems with fumbles but to send two guys out there stripping like crazy to get the ball back is stupid. One guy couldn't get it out so he holds the runner while the next guy finally gets the ball away from him. I say if you can't stop a team with your defense like the Pats couldn't do the entire game you should lose, now if the guy fumbles that's one thing but I'm sick of watching games just to see that kind of ending. Billecheat should be ashamed of himself.

That game was sad to watch. Since the NFL has been changing rules lately I would love to see them remove stripping from the game so teams like the Pats could lose when they should. I have no problems with fumbles but to send two guys out there stripping like crazy to get the ball back is stupid. One guy couldn't get it out so he holds the runner while the next guy finally gets the ball away from him. I say if you can't stop a team with your defense like the Pats couldn't do the entire game you should lose, now if the guy fumbles that's one thing but I'm sick of watching games just to see that kind of ending. Billecheat should be ashamed of himself.

You mean you are sick of seeing NE win. Yeah I can understand that. If not for the bad call on Adalius Thomas, the Patriots wouldn't have even needed to make that strip. That being said, I can't believe you are complaining about players trying to strip the football. That happens on every single play of every single NFL football game. McKelvin could have simply went down when the first guy hit him.

That's a good question. I know I heard the whistle but not sure if it was just as Edwards got wrapped up or if Thomas was already in the motion of taking him down. It was a close call for sure...

I mean nobody really feels sorry for the Pats getting a bad call against them, but I know if Abraham got called in the same circumstance I would find it extremely upsetting. So let's hope he lays Jake down softly tomorrow.