Ryan says Falcons' playbook doesn't hinge on experience

hawkeye

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/09/1...inge-on-experie

Posted Sept. 17, 2009 @ 12:55 p.m.

By Dan Parr

As Matt Ryan navigated his way through one of the most impressive seasons ever by a rookie quarterback, there was talk that the Falcons weren't utilizing offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey's full repertoire in order to protect the young signalcaller from getting in too far over his head.

With 17 starts under his belt, Ryan was expected to take on greater responsibilities in his second year, although teammates say he was able to handle just about every task Mularkey threw his way last season.

In a recent interview with PFW, Ryan said there were modifications made to the playbook this year, but they are more closely related to the changes in personnel, such as the addition of TE Tony Gonzalez, and have less to do with his own personal progress.

"There are some things that we're doing differently this year, but I don't think it's necessarily as a result of me," Ryan said. "I think a lot of it is geared toward personnel that we have and what we found out we're good at last year and what we found out that we're not good at. … There's always changes from Year One to Year Two … some of it is that I'm a little more experienced than I was last year, but some of it's also because our personnel is a little bit different."

One difference in Atlanta's offense that became immediately apparent is it's far better equipped to put together sustained drives and get the ball into the endzone when the ground game falters. The Falcons won their season opener vs. the Dolphins, 19-7, even though Miami loaded up against the run and held RB Michael Turner to 65 yards. Including the playoffs, Atlanta had a 1-5 record last season when Turner was held to less than 70 yards or less, and the lone victory came on a last-second field goal that beat the Bears. In the ’09 season opener, Ryan had a shaky start, coming up short on a pass to a wide-open Roddy White, but he overcame that, completing 22-of-36 passes for 229 yards with two TDs and zero interceptions.

Mularkey isn't going to ask Ryan to throw 36 times per game very often, but he'll be much more comfortable doing so if that's what the situation calls for this time around.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/09/1...inge-on-experie

In a recent interview with PFW, Ryan said there were modifications made to the playbook this year, but they are more closely related to the changes in personnel, such as the addition of TE Tony Gonzalez, and have less to do with his own personal progress.

good read

i remember when people were saying we wouldnt change our play book if we were to get a pass catching TE :rolleyes: