Panthers QB Delhomme still worries Falcons

nativefalcon

Panthers QB Delhomme still worries Falcons

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ShareThisPrint

Reprints

FLOWERY BRANCH — The Falcons expect to see Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme’s best game Sunday.

.In his past two outings, Carolina’s 34-year old quarterback has struggled mightily while committing 11 turnovers. Carolina used three quarterbacks and gave up five sacks against Philadelphia on Sunday.

“Jake will come back,” Carolina coach John Fox said. “We have an adage around here, ‘tough times don’t last. Tough people do,’ and he’s a tough guy.”

The Falcons expect to see the Delhomme who led the Panthers to 12 wins last season and the NFC South title.

“It’s tough for us because Jake Delhomme is a Pro Bowl quarterback,” safety Erik Coleman said. “He’s won a lot in this league. He’s been successful against us. ... You can’t get caught up in what happened last game.”

The Falcons figure that the Panthers will lean heavily on running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, if Stewart is able to play. He suffered from lingering pain in his left Achilles tendon during the preseason.

“After somebody has a bad game, you expect them to come back and play their very best,” defensive end John Abraham said. “I don’t see it like, ‘we’ve got him. We can go get him now.’ This guy is good. I know if I have a bad game, the next game I going to try to play my best.”

Touchdown parade

Fullback Ovie Mughelli is still excited about his 1-yard touchdown catch against the Dolphins. It was his first touchdown catch since the 2006 season.

“He’s so proud he got a touchdown,” running back Michael Turner said. “He’s telling everybody that he got the first touchdown of the ’09 season.”

Injury report

Placekicker Jason Elam, who missed two field goals and an extra point against Miami, kicked in practice Thursday after being listed on the injury report with a hamstring injury Wednesday. Smith did not want to attribute his misses to the hamstring injury.

New coordinator

Ron Meeks, who spent the past seven seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, is Carolina’s new defensive coordinator.

“Some things have changed for them,” quarterback Matt Ryan said. “The schemes are a little bit different.”

Davis shined

Carolina linebacker Thomas Davis, a former University of Georgia standout, had 18 tackles against Philadelphia on Sunday.

“The defense was out there quick a bit, as you can imagine with seven turnovers,” Fox said. “That was an accurate number.”

Etc.

. Offensive line coach Paul Boudreau (2001-2002), quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave (1999-2000) and defensive backs coach Alvin Reynolds (1999-2002) all are former Panthers assistant coaches.

. Linebacker Tony Gilbert, who was inactive for all 16 games last season, saw his first action as a Falcon against Miami. He played on special teams.

. Linebacker Mike Peterson was named USA Today’s defensive player of the week.

;)

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/...ill-140925.html

We shouldn't look past Jake. The problem for defences is that he can be a pro bowl QB one minute and a guy who wouldnt start for a high school team the next.

His streakiness is tough for defences to contend with and you cant get complacent and think he'll hand you the game, but you can force mistakes on him and because of his gunslinger mentality he tries to dig himself out of holes which leads to more mistakes. Hisfearlessness can be his most significant downfall

We shouldn't look past Jake. The problem for defences is that he can be a pro bowl QB one minute and a guy who wouldnt start for a high school team the next.

His streakiness is tough for defences to contend with and you cant get complacent and think he'll hand you the game, but you can force mistakes on him and because of his gunslinger mentality he tries to dig himself out of holes which leads to more mistakes. Hisfearlessness can be his most significant downfall

This is true, Delhomme has had pretty good games against the Falcons. I don't care if he has a good game against us, as long as we're victorious in the end.

WHEN YOU REACH INTO THE "JAKE BAG" ...... YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL

PULL OUT. JAKE'S A TRICKY CHARACTER, HE'S BEEN KNOWN TO PLAY DEAD

BEFORE. IF YOU DON'T KEEP PRESSURE ON HIM HE'LL LET YOU KNOW HE'S STILL

ALIVE. BUT IF YOU KEEP THE PRESSURE ON, SACK HIM EVERY NOW AND THEN,

IF HE STARTS THROWING THOSE INTERCEPTIONS .... you'll know he's dead as a door knob. B)

I ran into an employee from the AJC today...I asked him what the deal was with Bedwetter constant bashing of the Falcons? He agreed and said he'll be on the wagon soon. This article blows man...the Falcons aren't "worried" that's for **** sure. A true competitor doesn't underestimate any opponent...even with Delhomme's struggles, he can easily come in and have a pro-bowl performance. Our defense just has to maintain the level of play they showed against Miami...if we can do that, then I know we'll get the win. Also, the Panzies are banged up...they have a lot of key players getting limited practice time this week.

I ran into an employee from the AJC today...I asked him what the deal was with Bedwetter constant bashing of the Falcons? He agreed and said he'll be on the wagon soon. This article blows man...the Falcons aren't "worried" that's for **** sure. A true competitor doesn't underestimate any opponent...even with Delhomme's struggles, he can easily come in and have a pro-bowl performance. Our defense just has to maintain the level of play they showed against Miami...if we can do that, then I know we'll get the win. Also, the Panzies are banged up...they have a lot of key players getting limited practice time this week.

It's funny that you mention that, as soon as I saw this thread and saw the word "worries", I knew it was by Ledbetter. None of the other AJC writers like Bradley or Schultz would have used that word becuase it's a very poor descriptor of the Falcons preparation for the Panthers.

Since we are pontificating about D Leds mindless Dribble.

I will add my Own :D

What worries me if the F%$#@^ Commercial on the NFL Network.

Crisp Houston getting helplessly TORCHED in the End Zone by Steve Smith !

It typifies Houstons play as he is always watching the opponent Catch The Ball!

It was a Home Game too. Arrrrrgh !

End o Vent ;)