Mike Bell?

nolafan33

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the guy. There's been stories coming out about Sean Payton and Mike Bell. To paraphrase, Payton told his son to pick up Mike Bell in his fantasy league, which is interesting. Payton loves Bell, and I could easily see him taking over the roll of Pierre Thomas, and making it a even bigger one. I'm talking 16-20 carries per game.

To quote Falcon fans, did Loomis find a diamond in the rough? :lol:

I'm really not sure. With the type of offense the Saints run, I don't see the point in having 3 capable backs and one of them sitting on the bench.

i think bell can be the tough runner like you guys had with deuce back in 06 in that offense. that's what the saints have been lacking IMO.

he did a pretty good job with it in denver.

What made me post this thread is what Mark Schlereth said today on ESPN:

The Saints are a different football team. Because of Mike Bell they finally have some teeth [that they've been lacking]. Reggie Bush is a WR. Bell gives them the threat of a running game, opens play action. Then you see Shockey catching TDs..."

I almost think Bells a poor mans version of Peterson. He has good size, speed, and power, yet has great body control and body movement. He's the best pure runner the Saints have, IMO.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

It ought to be a great game against the Eagles at The Linc Sunday.

I have a feeling Bell won't be able to do to Philly what he did to Detroit, although I'm sure Brees will still burn them big time.

I'm hoping we get it down here as the Fox early game since ours is the late game up in Buffalo.

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the guy. There's been stories coming out about Sean Payton and Mike Bell. To paraphrase, Payton told his son to pick up Mike Bell in his fantasy league, which is interesting. Payton loves Bell, and I could easily see him taking over the roll of Pierre Thomas, and making it a even bigger one. I'm talking 16-20 carries per game.

Bell is an ex Marine(don't ever call him ex, those SOB's are trained that they are Devil Dogs forever) so have to hope for the best for him just for that.

He was pretty good with Denver, I did wonder where he went for the last few years. He's a grinder, if he is 100%, should be 2 good RB's with power, plus the scat back/receving ability of RB.

Come to think of it, I believe it was Mike Anderson who was the Marine, so Bell sux :lol:

Naw, he still looks like a good pick-up until Thomas is healthy.

How long before he gets back anyway?

He ll probaly see some action this week. I'm sure it will be limited cause o the knee

Mike Bell is an average running back at best.

He had a great game Sunday, that is a given, but has a history of being very streaky.

Not to mention, you are seeing what everyone else has been seeing for years: any running back worth their salt should be running for a ton of yards with Brees and the threat of the passing game.

i think its more like M Bell found the Lions Nickle Defense lol

but hey atleast Payton showed improvement actualy giving it to him.....

What made me post this thread is what Mark Schlereth said today on ESPN:

The Saints are a different football team. Because of Mike Bell they finally have some teeth [that they've been lacking]. Reggie Bush is a WR. Bell gives them the threat of a running game, opens play action. Then you see Shockey catching TDs..."

I almost think Bells a poor mans version of Peterson. He has good size, speed, and power, yet has great body control and body movement. He's the best pure runner the Saints have, IMO.

Just except M.Bell for what he is right now, a productive RB for you guys. But time will tell if he can be consistent and that's the most important thing for any player. If you've noticed the trend in the NFL. RBs have been coming out of nowhere producing good numbers for their teams. For example, remember Grant for Packs, Graham for the Bucs, Ferguson for the Raiders, just to name a few.

I'm a bit surprised you made a objective post about your RB situation, I like this better than the RBs should be in a new mold crap. How does it feel to have a running game similar to what you had in 06?

I'm really not sure. With the type of offense the Saints run, I don't see the point in having 3 capable backs and one of them sitting on the bench.

For a proclaimed Saints fan, you sure quickly forgot how invaluable Stecker was giving Deuce a breather, even when both he and Reggie were healthy.

Bell had a good year as a rook, but then the Broncos tried to make him a fullback. He went down hill after that. From what I've seen, I think he's gonna turn some heads as a true halfback this season.

For a proclaimed Saints fan, you sure quickly forgot how invaluable Stecker was giving Deuce a breather, even when both he and Reggie were healthy.

Bell had a good year as a rook, but then the Broncos tried to make him a fullback. He went down hill after that. From what I've seen, I think he's gonna turn some heads as a true halfback this season.

The Saints are carrying 4 backs on their roster right now. I have no problem keeping 3 or 4, but I don't see the point in keeping 3 capable backs. The ball can only get around so much. Lynell Hamilton could play the Stecker roll.

No 100 yard back today eh? We were without the services of Jerious Norwood today, I think it was a concussion? Turner was a workhorse though, but you always miss the fastball that Norwood is!

I think if he wouldn't have gone down he would have easily broken 100. He was very impressive, he runs hard and has excellent vision. He has body movement that I don't see very many people with.

Also, Reggie had a very nice day rushing the football. His final stats were only 10 carries for 33 yards, but he had to take 3 goal line carries against a 9 man set, which obviously isn't his game. That was Bells carries in that certain situation. Before this, I believe the goal line carries were the last carries of the game, he had averaged 4.9 YPC which I like.

Don't say he had a good day with 33 yards rushing and a 3.3...talk about your real RBs either Bell or Thomas. Defending Bust is getting old and tired into 4th year...that's all I'm saying. A proposition for you:

Will Bust ever be an all pro or probowl RB, WR, or PR? You already know the answer to this question!

I'm not defending him, and I'm not gonna turn this into a 20 page Reggie Bush thread. The Saints had two RB's carry the football yesterday. I commented on both of them. Simple as that.

Your wise to stay away from the Bust debate because we know how that would end up! I like the fact you know he is nowhere near an all pro...I appreciate your honesty there! ;)

It'll end up as a 20 page thread, like I said... :lol:

Anyways, I don't think the Saints or any team in the South have very many all pro caliber players because of the amount of elite players they have in this league.

Drew Brees

Jahri Evans

Marques Colston

Sedrick Ellis

Jonathan Vilma

Jabari Greer

Darren Sharper

How many of those guys are elite? Two maybe?

How many of these gys are elite? Maybe all of them? Just counting weapons though...We might have 3 elite offensive lineman as well...

Abe

Matty Ice

Michael Turner

Roddy White

Gonzo

Hmmm, I'll skip that question, because then it WILL turn into a 20 page thread... :D

Gonzo's elite, I'll keep it at that.

Wait! If Roddy's elite can Colston be elite too?!?!