Mike Peterson, from Pat Yasinkas/espn

JOEinPHX

Just got off the phone with Atlanta Falcons linebacker Mike Peterson. I’ll be writing an extensive piece on him and the Falcons’ defense for Friday, but wanted to share one item with you now.

The Falcons will be wearing their throwback uniforms in Sunday’s game with the Carolina Panthers and that’s creating a throwback situation for Peterson.

“I love the red helmets,’’ Peterson said. “They’re like what I wore with my Pop Warner team back in Florida.’’

For the record, Peterson played for the Alachua Raiders and that might be a good omen for Sunday. When Peterson was an eighth-grader, the Raiders won a national championship.

“It was my first time on a plane,’’ Peterson said. “We flew to California and won.’’

Peterson was the quarterback of that team and also played quarterback in high school, which was then part of Atlanta coach Mike Smith’s recruiting territory as a college assistant.

“Smitty saw me as a quarterback,’’ Peterson said. “I was always a quarterback. I’m not sure how I got into this linebacker thing.’’

Part of Friday’s story will be how Peterson now is the quarterback of Atlanta’s defense, but that can wait a day. Thursday night, Peterson’s planning on doing a little research on the 1966 Atlanta team that first wore the uniforms the Falcons will play in Sunday.

“I’m embarrassed to admit I don’t know much about the 1966 team and I’m a guy that pays attention to history,’’ Peterson said. “I’m going to get on-line tonight and find out what that team was all about.’’

Great post. Did not know that about Pete. I for one questioned his signing as I was unsure what he had left in the tank. I stand corrected. Smitty knew what he was getting. I am learning to love Mike Smith and the culture he has brought to Atlanta. I also relly like what I have seen of Pete so far. Destroy the Carolina "P" Cats this week!

One can only hope that he stays focused on this game instead of he '66 Falcons. I love the thought of wearing throwback uni's BUT many of us know all too well the losing seasons we endured in those uniforms.

With every comment echoing this one, there is a monkey on the back of every long-suffering Falcon fan. With each step we

move closer in "the process" to our ultimate goal- SUPER BOWL VICTORY !!! We will not rest until we have ripped that monkey off our backs and stomped it to death !!!!! Serenity now...serenity now

With every comment echoing this one, there is a monkey on the back of every long-suffering Falcon fan. With each step we

move closer in "the process" to our ultimate goal- SUPER BOWL VICTORY !!! We will not rest until we have ripped that monkey off our backs and stomped it to death !!!!! Serenity now...serenity now

You're right! A Super Bowl Victory would make the past so much more meaningful. The team that this organization is building is already at a level surpassing that of the 1980 team and we're supposedly 'still rebuilding' after the Petrino "Squeal Like A Pig Boy" and MV debacles here. This is the best direction I've ever seen this team take and I'll settle for a nine win season just to get the back-to-back winning seasons record off our backs - finally! I don't forecast a Super Bowl this year but WHY NOT? I really believe with the steps this staff is taking, we will do more than just make a Super Bowl 'appearance' in the next 2-3 seasons.

You're right! A Super Bowl Victory would make the past so much more meaningful. The team that this organization is building is already at a level surpassing that of the 1980 team and we're supposedly 'still rebuilding' after the Petrino "Squeal Like A Pig Boy" and MV debacles here. This is the best direction I've ever seen this team take and I'll settle for a nine win season just to get the back-to-back winning seasons record off our backs - finally! I don't forecast a Super Bowl this year but WHY NOT? I really believe with the steps this staff is taking, we will do more than just make a Super Bowl 'appearance' in the next 2-3 seasons.

I have always believed that when we win a Super Bowl and they do one of those specials on the Falcons during the offseason (like they do for all of the SB winners) people will start to take notice of our past greats.

Then Nobis and Tuggle and Van Note and Kenn and all of the other Falcon Legends will get their fair shot at the Hall.

I have always believed that when we win a Super Bowl and they do one of those specials on the Falcons during the offseason (like they do for all of the SB winners) people will start to take notice of our past greats.

Then Nobis and Tuggle and Van Note and Kenn and all of the other Falcon Legends will get their fair shot at the Hall.

here here! I gotta agree, I think the lack of a SB victory is what shut out so many greats of our teams from the hall and many other top 10 lists.

So Mike Pete is going to study the 66 Falcons,

learn about Nobis

Maybe he'll see this. From Wikipedia:

"Tommy Nobis joined the Falcons for their inaugural season in 1966. That season he won the league's NFL Rookie of the Year, was voted to the Pro Bowl and amassed an unprecedented 294 combined tackles which still stands today as the team's all-time single-season record, and is unofficially the most tackles ever credited to one player, in a season, in NFL history."

They didn't keep official stats for tackles back then. If they had he'd still hold the record.