Tony Gonzalez

lostnmexico

After having the greatest season ever by a TE that I personally witnessed last year as a Cheif, and with all the love he is getting as a Falcon, is it possible that Tony Gonzalez could be the MVP in 2009?

Your thoughts please. He is very quickly becoming the heart, soul, and veteran leader of the 2009 Atlanta Falcons.

No. A guy who fumbles 9 times and has 12 TD's shouldn't win MVP

I think he only had 10 mTDs. I know he did actually. Peyton deserved the MVP last year for what he did. He had a lot of early come from behind wins last year while his knee was healing and they were getting in sink. Then his o-line was beat up all year but he kept winning games for them. Might of been his gutties season ever. Brees will most likely win it this year unless AP stops his fumbling problems and runs for 2,000.

I think he only had 10 mTDs. I know he did actually. Peyton deserved the MVP last year for what he did. He had a lot of early come from behind wins last year while his knee was healing and they were getting in sink. Then his o-line was beat up all year but he kept winning games for them. Might of been his gutties season ever. Brees will most likely win it this year unless AP stops his fumbling problems and runs for 2,000.

Yeah that was my bad he 12 TD's his rookie year and 10 last year

Gonzo will certainly be a huge addition to our offense (which is saying something considering the weapons we already had) but it's pretty tough to make MVP as a receiver and even tougher as a Tight End... Speaking of MVPs.... i know it's more than a little late but why exactly did Peyton Manning get MVP last year??? Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of Peyton. Personally I think he's the smartest quarterback in the league and one of the most accurate, but Drew Brees had 5000 yards last season.... 5000 yards!!!!! If that doesn't earn you MVP i don't know what does.... Sorry....just sounding off

Phillip Rivers should have been the MVP. Numbers were better than Peytons despite less attempts. If he didn't lead the Chargers to 4 straight wins they would have missed the playoffs Mike Shanahan would still have a job.

Peterson wasn't even in the discussion...he was the 3rd best RB in the NFC last year.

After having the greatest season ever by a TE that I personally witnessed last year as a Cheif, and with all the love he is getting as a Falcon, is it possible that Tony Gonzalez could be the MVP in 2009?

Your thoughts please. He is very quickly becoming the heart, soul, and veteran leader of the 2009 Atlanta Falcons.

No.

It would be tough for a WR to get it, near impossible for a tight end to get it.

Doesn't mean he couldn't be the most valuable receiving TE this year

I am guessing that no TE has ever come remotely close to winning a league MVP award, so no, I don't think it's possible.

Phillip Rivers should have been the MVP. Numbers were better than Peytons despite less attempts. If he didn't lead the Chargers to 4 straight wins they would have missed the playoffs Mike Shanahan would still have a job.

Peterson wasn't even in the discussion...he was the 3rd best RB in the NFC last year.

As a rusher Peterson is unrivalled. But you factor in the fumbles, his poor receiving skills (they bring Chester Taylor in on passing downs) and the fact Peterson is a clueless blocker and you could make a case the he is the 4th best back in the NFC. Turner and Williams are both more solid runners less prone to losing you games, while Clinton Portis deserves recognition for being an excellent runner who excels in every area a running back should.

You can argue blocking isn't a major skill for running backs, but Portis is (from what I've seen) untouchable in this respect. Imagine how much worse Jason Campbell would be without him.

Rivers might have had great statistics, but you're never going to win the MVP award as a QB when your team underperforms as badly as the Chargers did last year.

Very good point. Rivers did lead them to the playoffs almost completely on his back. Peyton did too though and won more games in a tougher division. I would of went with Michael Turner but I did feel like Peyton earned it last year more than any other year in his career. The numbers weren't the same but his team was beat up and he still carried them a long way after a tough start. Rivers did carry SD but in a bad division and still only an 8-8 record.

Very good point. Rivers did lead them to the playoffs almost completely on his back. Peyton did too though and won more games in a tougher division. I would of went with Michael Turner but I did feel like Peyton earned it last year more than any other year in his career. The numbers weren't the same but his team was beat up and he still carried them a long way after a tough start. Rivers did carry SD but in a bad division and still only an 8-8 record.

Peterson had a great year...i'm not trying to take anything away from him. He just had too few TDs and way to many fumbles to get MVP, or even OPOY, consideration in my personal opinion.

I would even argue that Turner and Williams carried there teams as well. Statwise, Turner was just a few yards short with 7 more tds and 7-8 less fumbles.