To blitz or not to blitz

Polar Bear Jones

I love our cover 2 scheme especially the way we use it to hide our problem areas on defense but it seemed to me that the Eagles had alot of success in blitzing the panthers up the middle. The strength of there OL seems to be the outside with Otah and Gross. The Eagles did a great job in manning up with there corners they are very solid at that position we may not be as solid. I am also a little worried because of the ability of Deangelo Williams to catch the screen. I know it was just preseason but we were burned a good bit on them. I really liked what we did last week babs and jerry got a great push in the middle and our DE played lights out. I guess what I am asking is do you think that we are going to add more blitzes to the gameplan this week If so do you think we will be successful. I know Nicholas has some pretty good pass rush moves Is he our best blitzing linebacker.

I love our cover 2 scheme especially the way we use it to hide our problem areas on defense but it seemed to me that the Eagles had alot of success in blitzing the panthers up the middle. The strength of there OL seems to be the outside with Otah and Gross. The Eagles did a great job in manning up with there corners they are very solid at that position we may not be as solid. I am also a little worried because of the ability of Deangelo Williams to catch the screen. I know it was just preseason but we were burned a good bit on them. I really liked what we did last week babs and jerry got a great push in the middle and our DE played lights out. I guess what I am asking is do you think that we are going to add more blitzes to the gameplan this week If so do you think we will be successful. I know Nicholas has some pretty good pass rush moves Is he our best blitzing linebacker.

And there's the problem with blitzing. If you send your linebackers on a blitz, it's gonna leave you susceptible to running plays. If we do blitz a lot in games this year it will be with teams that are weak in running the football where the threat is not so bad. I doubt seriously we'll see much of that with the Panthers.

The Eagles' defensive scheme is way more complicated than ours. They do a really good job of confusing QBs' reads, which is why they can blitz and have a high success ratio.

We may see some blitzes, but last week we did some interesting thing. I think I read somewhere we put our DE's into coverage last week more than we blitzed.

If we can get 4 more sacks and multiple hits, and hurries like we did against the Dolphins without blitzing, then why would we blitz? It will depend on what we are doing in the game, mostly. If the Falcons are stopping the run and winning big, then we may blitz some, but again as long as our front 4 are getting pressure, why blitz?

The cover 2 shell is a bend but dont break defense. I think with the abundance of youth out there, M. Smith and BVG has watered down the defensive playbook. I believe as the season progresses we will see more exotic schemes, more 3-4, CB & S blitzes and zone blitzing.

I think a lot of it was the fact that we were playing Miami, a ball control, ground offense. We didnt need to be over aggressive to stop the pass.

I want to see more of the flooding to the ball carrier, guys like J. Stewart and D. Williams arent gonna be tackled by 1 guy often. We need to flow to the ball against the run. The DL will also be the key as the DL is the key to any defense. Babs and Perry will have to get a push up front and the gang at DE(Biermann, Abe, Davis, Anderson, maybe Sid) will need to apply constant pressure to keep from Delhomme getting going.

You are right though. Nicholas is a very good pass rusher and Peterson is very adept at pass rushing( as most Gator LBs are : } ). I think against Carolina we will need to show more looks on defense. It might help that we were so vanilla against he Dolphins that Carolina will only have old gametape to look at as far as the passing game.