ESPN - Ranking the NFL stadiums

BlacksburgHokie

4th in the division, tied for 27th in the league with Qualcomm, Oakland Coliseum, and Pro Player (or Landshark or whatever they call it these days).

NFC South Explanations:

Posted by ESPN.com’s Pat Yasinskas

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Raymond James Stadium, capacity 65,857)

Opened in 1998, this stadium was considered cutting edge at the time and it’s still considered one of the best facilities in the league. The natural grass surface consistently has been rated the best, or very close to the best, in the league in surveys by the NFL Players Association.

Also known as “Ray Jay’’ by the locals, this stadium’s crown jewel is a pirate ship in the end zone that is one of the most identifying characteristics in the league. The firing of the cannons when the Bucs get inside the 20-yard line fits perfectly with the stadium’s pirate theme. The one carryover from the old days at Tampa Stadium (a.k.a. “The Big Sombrero’’) is the chant where one side of the stadium yells “Tampa’’ and the other responds with “Bay.’’

Wow factor: 4 wows (out of 5)

Carolina Panthers (Bank of America Stadium, capacity 73,504)

Ideally located in Uptown Charlotte, which is really downtown, this stadium is the hub of center city on game days. Without a lot of true stadium parking, tailgates create a festive atmosphere throughout the city streets and the traffic situation is one of the best in the league because there are countless exit routes.

Like Tampa Bay’s stadium, the natural grass field in Charlotte consistently is ranked among the best in surveys of NFL players. This stadium helped pioneer seat licensing, so fans feel like they have an ownership stake. Carolina fans sometimes get labeled as a wine-and-cheese crowd and they can be a little slow in coming back to their seats after halftime. But, when the Panthers are playing well, this stadium can be as loud as any in the league.

Wow factor: 3 wows

New Orleans Saints (Louisiana Superdome, capacity 72,003)

The oldest facility in the NFC South opened in 1975, but renovations have kept this dome up with the rest of the league. The facility was largely redone after Hurricane Katrina and the Saints recently reached a new long-term lease agreement that also will bring the 2013 Super Bowl back to New Orleans.

The atmosphere is festive on game days as the party New Orleans throws on every day of the year escalates. The tailgates here are as good as any in the league. Games are a social event in New Orleans and the dome has been sold out for every game since the Saints returned in 2006 (all of this year’s games already are sold out). Although some fans are coming off very long nights, the noise inside the Superdome can be incredibly loud when the Saints are on the field.

Wow factor: 3 wows

Atlanta Falcons (Georgia Dome, capacity 71,228)

Despite lots of renovations (FieldTurf installed in 2003, upgrades to the club seats in 2007 and new paint on the outside and new seats in 2008), the Falcons are making noise about their desire for a new stadium. They’re looking at several venues around Atlanta, but building a new stadium close to or on the existing site seems to be a strong possibility. That would be good because the location is on the fringes of downtown and the game-day atmosphere can be festive.

The Georgia Dome has played host to every event imaginable, but the Falcons are the main tenant. The team has endured some lean years, but the dome came to life last year when quarterback Matt Ryan arrived and the Falcons started winning. That might help the Falcons get a new stadium, but the last few years in the dome have the potential to be memorable.

Wow factor: 1 wow

League-wide list:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...-by-team-glance

Although I'm not sure about the Georgia Dome being ranked below the SuperDome...I don't disagree. The Georgia Dome was built in the early 90s but it was definitely not the Falcons "home". It's just where we played at. Blank has tried to make some changes to make it so (like the seats, etc.) but Raymond James and even B of A are better stadiums.

The Georgia Dome is fine and every seat in the house is a good one, I just want to see football played outside. The great thing about Raymond James is they built that thing even tighter around the field and layered the decks so that it seems like every seat in there is a great seat.

I haven't actually sat in any of the seats, but from on the field, that is the way it looked to me.

What a bunch of journalistic garbage. It gave no real negatives on the Georgia Dome since it has renovations, and the dinosaur Superdome? please. The writer must have never spent time out in the heat or cold or rain or lightening storm to have such love for the Tampa swelter box and the inclimate Panther home. Outdoors is great when it is nice, but minus 3 wows when it is not imo

The Georgia Dome is fine and every seat in the house is a good one, I just want to see football played outside. The great thing about Raymond James is they built that thing even tighter around the field and layered the decks so that it seems like every seat in there is a great seat.

I haven't actually sat in any of the seats, but from on the field, that is the way it looked to me.

Well go be a fan of a team that has an outdoor stadium. You people complain so much, it aint even funny anymore. Having a dome is an advantage to the home team if the crowd makes enough noise. Would you sit in your seat if its pouring down raining at a game or even come to the game in November and December when we have cold spells in atlanta??I think not, and most fans wouldnt. Stop complaining and deal with it.

i guess i speak for myself when i say i'd rather been indoors than outdoors. give me the dome when its 20-30 outside with the wind blowing and crap. playing football is the elements is fun, but sitting outside and watching football in the elements is not...at least in my opinion.

exactly...and not to mention when you bring kids into the equation..no child is going to want to spend 3 or 4 hours in 20 degree whether when it can be 75 degrees every day of the year inside the dome.

Well go be a fan of a team that has an outdoor stadium. You people complain so much, it aint even funny anymore. Having a dome is an advantage to the home team if the crowd makes enough noise. Would you sit in your seat if its pouring down raining at a game or even come to the game in November and December when we have cold spells in atlanta??I think not, and most fans wouldnt. Stop complaining and deal with it.

Jesus Christ dude, why is my opinion that outside football is better so offensive to you? I wasn't complaining, I said that that there isn't a bad seat i the Georgia Dome. I spent $3,500 on season tickets this year for the Falcons, despite the fact I live 500 miles away, so obviously I don't want to be a fan of another team. What exactly is your problem?

i guess i speak for myself when i say i'd rather been indoors than outdoors. give me the dome when its 20-30 outside with the wind blowing and crap. playing football is the elements is fun, but sitting outside and watching football in the elements is not...at least in my opinion.

You can speak for me too... I'm glad we have a dome. Playing football in bad weather was fun at times for me, raining when it's warm, but I must say that I didn't care for rain when it was cold. Your fingers get all stiff and hitting and getting hit hurt like h3ll. I've always liked the GA Dome but I haven't been to any other NFL stadiums. At least we don't play in Oakland or at Fulton County anymore. Having half a baseball field on the field looks like crap and I imagine it sucks even more to play on it.

Best of both worlds...

Retractable roof.

And as far as this goes...

"They’re looking at several venues around Atlanta, but building a new stadium close to or on the existing site seems to be a strong possibility. That would be good because the location is on the fringes of downtown and the game-day atmosphere can be festive."

Is he mad? Has he ever attended the game the way the unwashed masses do? Traffic is insanely bad. Stepping over human excrement is always a highlight. There is some space for tailgating but nothing like it should be.

AB did the best he could with this but it is time to move out to a location where the team can do this right.