Doesn this bother anyone else but me?

slewis1952

Here is a synopsis of 11 of our first down plays against the Dolphins. It worries me only because I could think of a few better things to do with Michael Turner than this! Eleven plays, eleven handoffs. Maybe there was a good reason.I am wondering what you think? This came from NFL.COM.

1-10-ATL 29 (14:54) 33-M.Turner up the middle to ATL 29 for no gain (94-R.Starks).

1-10-ATL 43 (12:57) 33-M.Turner left tackle to ATL 47 for 4 yards (55-J.Porter

1-10-MIA 37 (7:55) 33-M.Turner right end to MIA 37 for no gain

1-10-ATL 11 (1:04) 33-M.Turner up the middle to ATL 12 for 1 yard (97-P.Merling).

1-10-ATL 21 (15:00) 33-M.Turner up the middle to ATL 23 for 2 yards (51-A.Ayodele).

1-10-ATL 50 (12:53) 33-M.Turner up the middle to ATL 49 for -1 yards (55-J.Porter).

1-10-MIA 37 (11:27) 33-M.Turner left tackle to MIA 36 for 1 yard (52-C.Crowder, 51-A.Ayodele).

1-10-ATL 24 (5:22) 33-M.Turner right tackle to ATL 27 for 3 yards (55-J.Porter).

Second half

1-10-MIA 48 (9:54) 33-M.Turner right tackle to MIA 46 for 2 yards (97-P.Merling).

1-10-MIA 38 (:27) 33-M.Turner right end to MIA 33 for 5 yards (37-Y.Bell, 25-W.Allen).

1-10-MIA 34 (3:18) 33-M.Turner left tackle to MIA 32 for 2 yards (37-Y.Bell).

No I am not dissing the Falcons. They are and always been my team. My point is to maximize your plays. We have so many weapons to be handing the ball to Turner off tackle 11 times on first down in a game.. especially since the running game was not what it normally is.

Fire Smitty and Mularkey right now for not maximizing their plays!! Worthless bums. <_<

You could run the ball with a little more imagination. Most of those plays got minimal yardage. We throw no screens or try any trick plays. The name is to trick the other team, isn't it?

we're not a screen team or a trick play team. we're the falcons and we play smashmouth football. we run it up your throats until you stop it. then we air it out on you because we can, but the falcons are always going to try and establish the run first.

We mix it up some times on first down but when you want to establish how physical you can be then a first down run with Turner helps.

Plus it is always nice to soften them up for some of our other great weapons and it starts with them having to stop Turner.

Will someone give the Dolphins' D some credit here? Their front 7 is nasty. If we won against them and our running game got stuffed, that's a good sign for this team. A better sign, of course, were to be if we were to dominate their front 7 in the running game, but I'm satisfied knowing that this team can win even when the ground game isn't going as well as hoped.

You could run the ball with a little more imagination. Most of those plays got minimal yardage. We throw no screens or try any trick plays. The name is to trick the other team, isn't it?

No, we are a power running team. He runs right down the gut. He may not get through at first - but it really wears that defense down and they have to respect the run always. The only reason he wasn't getting anywhere is because they were gang tackling him and focussed on him throughout.

By the way 53.8% of our plays from first down were rushing and 46.2% were passing - pretty balanced.

No I am not dissing the Falcons. They are and always been my team. My point is to maximize your plays. We have so many weapons to be handing the ball to Turner off tackle 11 times on first down in a game.. especially since the running game was not what it normally is.

I don't have time for this, but how many times last year did Turner get the ball on 1st and 10 and pick up significant yards? Also, how can you make an assumption about how plays are going to be called this year after 1 game, which was against a fairly solid defense? :huh: Did you consider that fact that the Falcons were trying key off of something the Miami defense did last year and this year in the Preseason during first downs? Maybe they were trying to hit a home run off of a tendency they picked up on.

I don't have time for this, but how many times last year did Turner get the ball on 1st and 10 and pick up significant yards? Also, how can you make an assumption about how plays are going to be called this year after 1 game, which was against a fairly solid defense? :huh: Did you consider that fact that the Falcons were trying key off of something the Miami defense did last year and this year in the Preseason during first downs? Maybe they were trying to hit a home run off of a tendency they picked up on.

I'd hate to see what would have happened if you did have time for it.

By the way you could also spin stats to show that Turner is 12th in overall rushing right now with a 3.0 yd/carry average, which over the course of 3 downs falls just short of a first down. If Turner ran for 3.35yards a carry we could use him and the clock all the way to 16-0. What's another .35 yards.. about the length of an NFL football. :lol: Stats are fun! :P

Fire Smitty and Mularkey right now for not maximizing their plays!! Worthless bums. <_<

:lol::lol::lol:

Some people just refuse to be satisfied...people will always find something to complain about. Not saying the win was perfect, Smitty said as much, but to come on here suggesting that they have some novel idea that the coaching staff or front office haven't already considered is just...uhhhh :rolleyes:

What didn't make me happy were the 3rd and 1 throws (it weren't many, but still) ... I know we tried to mix it up and catch the defense off-guard, but when you're on the "minus-side" of the field, it might be better to run the ball, control the clock and get the first down, rather than going for the big pass-play.

I do understand the idea behind the 3rd and 1 mid/deep-pass, but I don't really like it (or I don't like it with Ovie and Turner in the backfield).