Is there a way around the whole 3rd QB thing?

Ice74

Why not just list your 3rd QB as a WR, basically you would be taking a roster spot away from a 5th WR or special teams player , but does that work???

just using this an example....... I would never want this, but Im just using it to setup the question

we activate Shockley as our 5th WR, that way he could take snaps on some plays, wildcat, etc... and that way we still have Ryan, Redman, and Wilson(as the 3rd)

would that work??? under NFL rules

I was thinking about using Philly as the example, but lets not go there

Why not just list your 3rd QB as a WR, basically you would be taking a roster spot away from a 5th WR or special teams player , but does that work???

just using this an example....... I would never want this, but Im just using it to setup the question

we activate Shockley as our 5th WR, that way he could take snaps on some plays, wildcat, etc... and that way we still have Ryan, Redman, and Wilson(as the 3rd)

Yeah, it would work. That's probably what Philly will do with Vick. But why would you EVER want Shockley to be on the field? Nobody would respect his arm anymore than they respect Norwood's and Shockley isn't a good enough runner to be a WR or RB.

So... No, thanks.

I don't really understand your questions. If a player is part of your active 45, you can do whatever you want with them. A 46th player would be the designated 3rd quarterback, and that player has to follow 3rd quarterback rules.

So yes, the Falcons could do that if Shockley was part of the 45 and Wilson was the designated 46th player. But that example is of course irrelevant since Shockley isn't even on the football team.

You are not understanding the rule. The 3rd QB gives you an extra player with special restrictions. If you don't want to use it you don't have to. Just because somebody is your 3rd string QB it doesn't mean the restrictions kick in. You could have 7 QBs on your active roster if you wanted to.