5906539.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

"When the week's preparations for the Falcons began,

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano told his players they would lose the game

if they didn't achieve two goals:

halt the running game on defense and

control time of possession on offense."

miami herald link

3.?

We also had a shorter field to work with than Maimi did so time of possession was going to be in their favor. They were starting at about their own 20 and we were near our 40 pretty much every drive.

The shorter field theory is invalid. Our defense should get the other team's offense off the field, regardless of where they start.

I'm going to slightly contest both points.

On our 80+ yard TD drive we converted 3 or 4 3rd and longs. It is not the overall percentage, it is the production you get out of them. I agree with Coach Smith's comments on the matter. Overall, the offense was effective on 3rd down.

TOP is a stat I LOVE. It is visually pleasing to me. I love blue collar football. However, statistically it is not as good an indicator of victory as most assume. The important stat is what percentage of offensive possessions result in points.

I would be more sold on TOP being very important if our offense lacked big play potential. I think we can win any way a game goes. We can grind in out with anyone. We can also match anyone in a track meet.

I'm going to slightly contest both points.

On our 80+ yard TD drive we converted 3 or 4 3rd and longs. It is not the overall percentage, it is the production you get out of them. I agree with Coach Smith's comments on the matter. Overall, the offense was effective on 3rd down.

TOP is a stat I LOVE. It is visually pleasing to me. I love blue collar football. However, statistically it is not as good an indicator of victory as most assume. The important stat is what percentage of offensive possessions result in points.

I would be more sold on TOP being very important if our offense lacked big play potential. I think we can win any way a game goes. We can grind in out with anyone. We can also match anyone in a track meet.

This is one of the better posts I've read in awhile.....nice....I agree 100%

Wow, I guess that has to do with Decoud and Coleman Playing to Deep?

I really not so sure

Pro Football says DeCoud was only thrown at 1 time incomplete

and Coleman was thrown at 1 time complete

So they must consider those "intermediate" passes to be at the CBs

Maybe they were short with good Yards after catch.

On first down and 10, every play except for 2 went to Michael Turner. I sure would like to see a few suprises. This is just too easy. We were very good on second and third and long. The straight handoff to Turner seems like a wasted play. Maybe I am just being too critical or something.

You're not being too critical. You're just being dead wrong.

I have no idea which game you watched or where you got your stats, but your statement is completely absurd.

We had a total of 29 plays that started on first down. Out of those plays, we ran Turner 15 of them. That's 15 out of 29, almost exactly half.

The other times were either pass plays or one kneel down at the end.

The breakdown is as follows:

Turner - 15

Roddy - 4

Jenkins - 4

Gonzalez - 2

Ovie - 2

Sacked - 1

Throwaway - 1

Kneeldown - 1

This is nothing like you suggested and actually shows we mixed things up quite a bit on first downs.