Jimmy Carter: Wilson comments 'based on racism'

THE ForceFan27™

I wish this fool wasn't from Georgia.

Link

ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a town hall held at his presidential center in Atlanta. "There is an inherent feeling among many in this country that an African-American should not be president."

The Georgia Democrat said the outburst was a part of a disturbing trend directed at the president that has included demonstrators equating Obama to Nazi leaders.

"Those kind of things are not just casual outcomes of a sincere debate on whether we should have a national program on health care," he said. "It's deeper than that."

Wilson, a South Carolina Republican, was formally rebuked Tuesday in a House vote for shouting "You lie!" during Obama's speech to Congress last Wednesday.

The shout came after the president commented that illegal aliens would be ineligible for federal subsidies to buy health insurance. Republicans expressed their disbelief with sounds of disapproval, punctuated by Wilson's outburst.

Tuesday's rebuke was a rare resolution of disapproval pushed through by Democrats who insisted that Wilson had violated basic rules of decorum and civility. Republicans characterized the measure as a witch hunt and Wilson, who had already apologized to Obama, insisted he owed the House no apology.

Wilson's spokesman was not immediately available for comment, but his eldest son defended his father.

"There is not a racist bone in my dad's body," said Alan Wilson, an Iraq veteran who is running for state attorney general. "He doesn't even laugh at distasteful jokes. I won't comment on former President Carter, because I don't know President Carter. But I know my dad, and it's just not in him."

"It's unfortunate people make that jump. People can disagree — and appropriately disagree — on issues of substance, but when they make the jump to race it's absolutely ludicrous. My brothers and I were raised by our parents to respect everyone regardless of background or race."

South Carolina's former Democratic Party chairman said that he doesn't believe Wilson was motivated by racism, but said the outburst encouraged racist views.

"I think Joe's conduct was asinine, but I think it would be asinine no matter what the color of the president," said **** Harpootlian, who has known Wilson for decades. "I don't think Joe's outburst was caused by President Obama being African-American. I think it was caused by no filter being between his brain and his mouth."

Harpootlian said he received scores of racial e-mails from outside South Carolina after he talked about the vote on Fox News.

"You have a bunch of folks out there looking for some comfort in their racial issues. They have a problem with an African-American president," he said. "But was he motivated by that? I don't think so. I respectfully disagree with President Carter, though it gives validity to racism."

Carter called Wilson's comment "dastardly" and an aftershock of racist views that have permeated American politics for decades.

"The president is not only the head of government, he is the head of state," he said. "And no matter who he is or how much we disagree with his policies, the president should be treated with respect."

Jimmy Carter -Racest till the End? If you take a good look at the Democrat party you will see many racists and closet haters – from Jimmy Carter, Robert Byrd to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. Here is a quote by Carter:

“It already has sent a wave of approbation and admiration in many countries around the world just knowing that this black boy who grew up with just a loving mother and — and grandparents and that was about all he had to start with, has now had a chance to become the nominee of the Democratic Party for president. We’ve seen a disillusionment about our country in the last eight years with a lot of things happening like torturing of prisoners and that sort of thing. If Obama is elected, which I think he is gonna be, then I think that will be the transforming grace for the end of racism and prejudice and hatred between races in this country.”

He calls Obama a “black boy”. Imagine if this were Cheney or GHWB talking, there would be marches and a huge outcry. We have become immune to the racists on the left. From Hillary mocking of Indians to Biden, the Veep who has a history of such attitudes and words, you do not have to look far in that party to find intolerance. ****, in this very election cycle Biden cause an uproar when he referred to Obama as clean and articulate.

Jimmy Carter -Racest till the End? If you take a good look at the Democrat party you will see many racists and closet haters – from Jimmy Carter, Robert Byrd to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. Here is a quote by Carter:

“It already has sent a wave of approbation and admiration in many countries around the world just knowing that this black boy who grew up with just a loving mother and — and grandparents and that was about all he had to start with, has now had a chance to become the nominee of the Democratic Party for president. We’ve seen a disillusionment about our country in the last eight years with a lot of things happening like torturing of prisoners and that sort of thing. If Obama is elected, which I think he is gonna be, then I think that will be the transforming grace for the end of racism and prejudice and hatred between races in this country.”

He calls Obama a “black boy”. Imagine if this were Cheney or GHWB talking, there would be marches and a huge outcry. We have become immune to the racists on the left. From Hillary mocking of Indians to Biden, the Veep who has a history of such attitudes and words, you do not have to look far in that party to find intolerance. ****, in this very election cycle Biden cause an uproar when he referred to Obama as clean and articulate.

Jimmy Carter is racist that is pretty lol worthy

Everything aside though. Carter was and is a good man. He wasnt exactly dealt the greatest of hands following one of the most corrupt Presidencies in history and he didnt always make the right decisions, but he has always been a class act and doesnt deserve nearly the amount of vitriol he receives.

That being said he is a little past his prime.

Yes, he called Obama a black boy because in the time pertaining to Obama's life that he was speaking of, Obama was indeed a boy and also black. It's not like he said that's what Obama is today, but do keep letting Rush inform you.

Carters whole sentence?'

"It already has sent a wave of approbation and admiration in many countries around the world just knowing that this black boy who grew up with just a loving mother and -- and grandparents and that was about all he had to start with, has now had a chance to become the nominee of the Democratic Party for president."

Notice him saying " who grew up with such a loving mother" no, didn't think so.

I really like Jimmy Carter. He and his wife have done so much good work that it's almost hard to list it all.

I don't think that Joe Wilson comments were based on race. I think there's a lot of fear, suspicion and animosity in the country right now about a black man being President, but I don't think Joe Wilson said what he said because of his concerns about Obama's skin tone.

All this unprecedented disdain and outrageous criticism of the President, for some people, stems from racism. They will oppose anything Obama says and does. You're naive if you think there is no racism involving the President and even his comment about illegal aliens, or oh no! Mexicans!!

Unprecedented disdain? Are you saying that there is more "disdain" for Obama than there was for Bush? Or Clinton? Did people hate Bush and Clinton because they were white?

All this unprecedented disdain and outrageous criticism of the President, for some people, stems from racism. They will oppose anything Obama says and does. You're naive if you think there is no racism involving the President and even his comment about illegal aliens, or oh no! Mexicans!!

I think the important word here is "some". There will always be people who don't like or agree with someone because of their race, religion, background, etc. The problem has become that we as a society are so quick to label someone racist. Do I think that Rep. Wilson is a racist? I don't know. I have never met the man, and since he is in South Carolina, I have not followed his politics very closely. I know he showed a serious lack of judgement in shout "You Lie", but that doesn't make him a racist.

It is so easy to call someone a racist in this country. Anyone with a mouth and a microphone can label anyone at any time.

My questions are:

What facts do we have that would classify Wilson as a racist?

What facts do we have that would classify him as an idiot? Yelling "You Lie" during a nationally televised speech- CHECK

Is anyone who disagrees with President Obama a racist?

Just food for thought...

I'd say the disdain for the last President was pretty strong as well and while I agree partially with what you are saying just because some or a lot of criticism stems for racism it doesn't mean all o fit does and that is the fine line that has to be recognized. There is also a segment of the population who would never truly support a President before because he was white. I like and voted for Obama but it was more regarding his foreign policy viewpoint, wanting to excise the cancer that was GWB and, i must admit, because I thought it was historically significant and past due time for a black guy to get the job. Maybe that makes me racist but I think I have the right to criticize his policies.

I'd say the disdain for the last President was pretty strong as well and while I agree partially with what you are saying just because some or a lot of criticism stems for racism it doesn't mean all o fit does and that is the fine line that has to be recognized. There is also a segment of the population who would never truly support a President before because he was white. I like and voted for Obama but it was more 1) regarding his foreign policy viewpoint, 2) wanting to excise the cancer that was GWB and, 3) i must admit, because I thought it was historically significant and past due time for a black guy to get the job. Maybe that makes me racist but I think I have the right to criticize his policies.

1) What did/do you like about his foreign policy viewpoint? This was one of the few times that he got blasted by McCain during the debates but perhaps you heard something I didn't.

2) Was he eligible for a third term in office?

3) Bob Barr and Cynthia McKinney(LOL!) were also running.

I just think its obvious that a good portion of the flack Obama gets is not politically based...

Do I think that everyone that disagrees with him is racist? No, I don't...

Do I think that the phrase "unprecedented distain" is even appropriate for this topic? Hmmmmm....Probably not...Since I've seen some pretty outrageous stuff even prior to Obama...But nothing like the Birther argument or military members participating in mutiny against the president...Or even all the secret service reports of people with guns around the White House and threatening the President...

On second hand, maybe "unprecendented distain" is appropriate...

But, either way, I don't kid myself into believing that everybody, politician or commonfolk, that disagree with or dislike him do so on genuine terms...

1) What did/do you like about his foreign policy viewpoint? This was one of the few times that he got blasted by McCain during the debates but perhaps you heard something I didn't.

2) Was he eligible for a third term in office?

3) Bob Barr and Cynthia McKinney(LOL!) were also running.

I liked his desire to heal our relations with the rest of the world as opposed to the "with us or against us" approach of GWB's crew and their inability to ever admit that mistakes were made. I also feel that Bush's personal religious zeal was a little blinding for him but that would have gone out the door with the man. I realize that Bush wasn't running but given the choice between the Party that he was part of and the one he wasn't I chose the one he wasn't. When you say "Bush" or "Obama" you are saying more than a single person's name. They are not kings or dictators. I lean toward the Democrats but not with blinders. As for number three...I wasn't saying I'd vote for someone for the sole reason of their race. I just feel a lot more in line with Obama's way of thinking than Bush, McCain and, God forbid, Sarah Palin who really made the choice a slam dunk.

Carter is parroting a growing Democratic criticism in order to marginalize the opposition. It is being used not to call out a "few bad apples", but to paint with the broadest of brushes to undermine dissent to policy. The Republicans used patriotism in a similar manner during the Bush Administration, and now the Democrats are using the same tactic but with an even uglier connotation.

Carter is parroting a growing Democratic criticism in order to marginalize the opposition. It is being used not to call out a "few bad apples", but to paint with the broadest of brushes to undermine dissent to policy. The Republicans used patriotism in a similar manner during the Bush Administration, and now the Democrats are using the same tactic but with an even uglier connotation.
I hate to agree, but I do.

The blame also lies with the Republican party for not casting the idiots aside and refining the critique of policy. Until they do that, people will perceive them as being complicit.

I listened to this song and then read this article and it was much more fun:

I wish this fool wasn't from Georgia.

Link

ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a town hall held at his presidential center in Atlanta. "There is an inherent feeling among many in this country that an African-American should not be president."

The Georgia Democrat said the outburst was a part of a disturbing trend directed at the president that has included demonstrators equating Obama to Nazi leaders.

"Those kind of things are not just casual outcomes of a sincere debate on whether we should have a national program on health care," he said. "It's deeper than that."

Wilson, a South Carolina Republican, was formally rebuked Tuesday in a House vote for shouting "You lie!" during Obama's speech to Congress last Wednesday.

The shout came after the president commented that illegal aliens would be ineligible for federal subsidies to buy health insurance. Republicans expressed their disbelief with sounds of disapproval, punctuated by Wilson's outburst.

Tuesday's rebuke was a rare resolution of disapproval pushed through by Democrats who insisted that Wilson had violated basic rules of decorum and civility. Republicans characterized the measure as a witch hunt and Wilson, who had already apologized to Obama, insisted he owed the House no apology.

Wilson's spokesman was not immediately available for comment, but his eldest son defended his father.

"There is not a racist bone in my dad's body," said Alan Wilson, an Iraq veteran who is running for state attorney general. "He doesn't even laugh at distasteful jokes. I won't comment on former President Carter, because I don't know President Carter. But I know my dad, and it's just not in him."

"It's unfortunate people make that jump. People can disagree — and appropriately disagree — on issues of substance, but when they make the jump to race it's absolutely ludicrous. My brothers and I were raised by our parents to respect everyone regardless of background or race."

South Carolina's former Democratic Party chairman said that he doesn't believe Wilson was motivated by racism, but said the outburst encouraged racist views.

"I think Joe's conduct was asinine, but I think it would be asinine no matter what the color of the president," said **** Harpootlian, who has known Wilson for decades. "I don't think Joe's outburst was caused by President Obama being African-American. I think it was caused by no filter being between his brain and his mouth."

Harpootlian said he received scores of racial e-mails from outside South Carolina after he talked about the vote on Fox News.

"You have a bunch of folks out there looking for some comfort in their racial issues. They have a problem with an African-American president," he said. "But was he motivated by that? I don't think so. I respectfully disagree with President Carter, though it gives validity to racism."

Carter called Wilson's comment "dastardly" and an aftershock of racist views that have permeated American politics for decades.

"The president is not only the head of government, he is the head of state," he said. "And no matter who he is or how much we disagree with his policies, the president should be treated with respect."

Dell Griffith was a racist and so were his shower curtain rings.

:lol::lol: Jimmy Carter we all remember him the president who signed away the Panama Canel one of the most important peices of land there is for moving Navy ships from the east coast to west in case of war. Well that went down to drain thanks Jimmy.

The best thing that Idiot can do is eat his peanuts and shut up, or chock on them.

There were two REP for the Atlanta area who also said Wilson calling Obama a lair was Racist. Wonder if when Obama was running for the Presidency and called McClain a lie was he was a racist.

Wilson has apologized what else can he do. Nancy P has not apologized for screwing the CIA or helping to screw the American people.