Pro Football Focus Reviews Falcons victory against the Phins

kal

So PFF has got the Falcons out. Some interesting things.

Check out the analysis, gradings and reviews and let me know what you think as I know the guy who does the analysis and he can deal with any questions. Interesting how much action Peria Jerry saw as well. Anyways, enjoy.

Player Participation

A review of where each player lined up on each play accurate snap counts for players

Offensive Analysis

Including which o-line players gave up pressure

Defensive Analysis

Including which players got thrown at, which players got pressure, who blitzed and who dropped into coverage. Note Abraham was only given one sack by PFF as if you watch the game (and I thought this at the time) Chad Pennington actually gets the ball in front of the LOS before hitting the ground and it was only the scorer that gave him the sack)

Quick Review

Featuring a mention to Mike Peterson, Sam Baker and Kroy Biermann

I realise this isn't everyone's cup of tea since it doesn't paint a rosey picture, but the guys have the luxury of 2 people watching the same game and spending at least half a day breaking down

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate responding to my own threads but some questions this raises for me

How much better off are we with Tony G? Is it at the cost of our running game since he is a good run blocker most of the time, but not at the level of Peelle (normally) or Hartsock?

How lucky are we Del Rio fell out with Peterson?

Jonathan Babineaux is better when he isn't asked to play every snap.

Where's Trey Lewis?

Finneran spends more time lined up as a Tight End than a WR.

Our corners did pretty well.

Roddy remains an excellent blocker - he may have a quiet game, but he'll never be a non factor

How much better off are we with Tony G? Is it at the cost of our running game since he is a good run blocker most of the time, but not at the level of Peelle (normally) or Hartsock?

Where's Trey Lewis?

Roddy remains an excellent blocker - he may have a quiet game, but he'll never be a non factor

THe threat posed as a reciever and the fact that he will of neccesity draw a safety to cover him instead of cheating in on the runner will pretty much negate any percieved run blocking deficit. . .

Well if two of thier guys were watching, they should have figured out that Abraham had two sacks, not one.

I mentioned in the opening post that the 2nd sack wasn't credited as if you watch it you'll see that Pennington is actually downed and the ball spoted at the LOS and not beyond it. Play for no gain, not negative yardage ... case of a scorer being eager to give a rusher a sack.

Officially it may go down as a sack, but realistically it was more of a stop than anything.

I mentioned in the opening post that the 2nd sack wasn't credited as if you watch it you'll see that Pennington is actually downed and the ball spoted at the LOS and not beyond it. Play for no gain, not negative yardage ... case of a scorer being eager to give a rusher a sack.

Officially it may go down as a sack, but realistically it was more of a stop than anything.

THen probably a third of the sacks given in the NFL woudl go away. . . .

Thier formula says Jamaal Anderson rushed the passer twice as well as John Abraham. That's really all I needed to see.

I'm sure you watched the game, and until Abraham bullrushed his way through Long he was actually being contained pretty comfortably which would bring his average down a bit in the grading. It certainly wasn't Abraham's best day rushing the passer though his big play was in some respects a game changer because it scared the life out of Jake Long, and led to Abraham picking up one more pressure.

Anderson had a good game rushing the passer, with an equal amount of pressure (2) as Abraham and he got a batted pass as well. I wouldn't look for it to be a trend that developed over the season, as Abraham almost rope-a-doped Long by rushing to the outside exclusively and getting Long to get comfortable with that (Long got Abe on the floor) before catching off guard with an explosive bull rush.

THen probably a third of the sacks given in the NFL woudl go away. . . .

A third? No. Maybe a 10th, probably less than that. But PFF is consistent in their grading so if it happens to another team than they'll not get a sack. Just because a scorer gives something when it clearly isn't, why should we fans accept it? Its the kind of logic where tackles have become an even more meaningless stat because it matters more who your scorer is than who is making the tackles

THe threat posed as a reciever and the fact that he will of neccesity draw a safety to cover him instead of cheating in on the runner will pretty much negate any percieved run blocking deficit. . .

Perhaps, I think its just a question I pondered because I'm looking to understand why our running game struggled so much and Gonzalez had a bad game.

Its something to monitor over the season, but even then it was good to see how he destroyed the Dolphins safeties (have a look at their ratings). Yeremian Bell will be glad for never having to face Gonzo again

A third? No. Maybe a 10th, probably less than that. But PFF is consistent in their grading so if it happens to another team than they'll not get a sack. Just because a scorer gives something when it clearly isn't, why should we fans accept it? Its the kind of logic where tackles have become an even more meaningless stat because it matters more who your scorer is than who is making the tackles

We all saw the play, he tackled the QB a half yard behind the line of scrimmage. That is a sack. Turn your TIVO on and watch it again.

Like I said, if these guys think that Jamaal had a better game rushing the passer than Abe, that is all I really need to know about thier point of view.

It's not necessarily better, sometimes its about productivity and other times it comes down to consistency. Anderson had a consistent game rushing the passer. Got as much pressure as Abe as hard as that is to believe and got a batted pass for good measure. Abraham started off slow and then made a big play, but only after he had struggled early on. If you can't see that then you weren't watching the same game.

He may be Abe but he's not perfect. Whether it was a gameplan on not the suck Long in I don't know, but before he got the sack Abe was actually being dominated. Still, the positive rating for Jammal with his pass rush was always going to astound some people but the game tape doesn't lie. I'll try to get my hands on the notes of the analyst so you can look at the plays they graded positive/ negative for both players and see if its a bit easier to understand

(I maintain Abe's rating is a bit lower because of how he started the game where he lost some pass rush battles, while JA98 didn't win as many battles as Abe but didn't lose any like Abe did at the start)

It's not necessarily better, sometimes its about productivity and other times it comes down to consistency. Anderson had a consistent game rushing the passer. Got as much pressure as Abe as hard as that is to believe and got a batted pass for good measure. Abraham started off slow and then made a big play, but only after he had struggled early on. If you can't see that then you weren't watching the same game.

He may be Abe but he's not perfect. Whether it was a gameplan on not the suck Long in I don't know, but before he got the sack Abe was actually being dominated. Still, the positive rating for Jammal with his pass rush was always going to astound some people but the game tape doesn't lie. I'll try to get my hands on the notes of the analyst so you can look at the plays they graded positive/ negative for both players and see if its a bit easier to understand

(I maintain Abe's rating is a bit lower because of how he started the game where he lost some pass rush battles, while JA98 didn't win as many battles as Abe but didn't lose any like Abe did at the start)

Do you think Anderson had a better game than Abe?

We all saw the play, he tackled the QB a half yard behind the line of scrimmage. That is a sack. Turn your TIVO on and watch it again.

After just rewatching the play its a debatleable call (because the blue line is unofficial). Watching it real time I thought it was a tackle and not a sack, but I'm a little unsure watching it in slow motion as to when Penningtons knee hits. I'll get the analyst to rewatch it because there's a solid game for that being the smallest of sacks.

Perhaps, I think its just a question I pondered because I'm looking to understand why our running game struggled so much and Gonzalez had a bad game.

Its something to monitor over the season, but even then it was good to see how he destroyed the Dolphins safeties (have a look at their ratings). Yeremian Bell will be glad for never having to face Gonzo again

Perhaps it could be because Miami has a good run defense and stacked the line?

Do you think Anderson had a better game than Abe?

I think Abraham had a bigger day and made more memorable plays. His highs were higher, but then at the same time I think his lows were lowing, imparticular that first quarter. What I can say is that I haven't analysed every play for this game, so I don't feel in a position to comment as to who had the better game. Thats what pff.com does ... not just looking at the bigger plays but all plays to give a bigger body of work to analyse from.

Like I say its not everyones cup of tea but no-one else does it (having tried it, it takes long - just doing a player participation takes about 7 hours) so I trust in what these analysts say rather than those who rely on conventional wisdom

Perhaps it could be because Miami has a good run defense and stacked the line?

Very true, but then teams stacked the lines against us last year ... and wasn't Gonzo going to stop teams doing this?

Thats me speculating, its just something to keep an eye on as the season goes on tbh

I'm over analytical so I like to prepare for the worst by looking at some of the negatives as well as the positives, of which there were some on Sunday (though it can take offences some time to get going so again it will be interesting to see how the season develops)

I think Abraham had a bigger day and made more memorable plays. His highs were higher, but then at the same time I think his lows were lowing, imparticular that first quarter. What I can say is that I haven't analysed every play for this game, so I don't feel in a position to comment as to who had the better game. Thats what pff.com does ... not just looking at the bigger plays but all plays to give a bigger body of work to analyse from.

Like I say its not everyones cup of tea but no-one else does it (having tried it, it takes long - just doing a player participation takes about 7 hours) so I trust in what these analysts say rather than those who rely on conventional wisdom

I guess my problem with that statistical analysis is that it doesn't measure the significance of a play. That play where Abe blew up Jake was one of the most important plays of the game in my book, the Dolphins were marching the ball down the field with dinks and dunks and Abe ended all that.

Like I said, if these guys think that Jamaal had a better game rushing the passer than Abe, that is all I really need to know about thier point of view.

Perhaps the aggregation of raw data into a rating may be flawed and subject to contention - as many rating indices can be - but it's still cool to see the compilation of raw statistics.

Very true, but then teams stacked the lines against us last year ... and wasn't Gonzo going to stop teams doing this?

Thats me speculating, its just something to keep an eye on as the season goes on tbh

I'm over analytical so I like to prepare for the worst by looking at some of the negatives as well as the positives, of which there were some on Sunday (though it can take offences some time to get going so again it will be interesting to see how the season develops)

And there were some games where people stopped Turner last year by doing that. And Ryan made them pay. Just like he did here,.

I still don't see where there was something extensive to worry about. Every running back in the league, no matter how good, has games where they are stopped.

Where's Trey Lewis?

Great post, kal. It's great to see the raw statistics and the ratings. cool site.

We are very lucky to have gotten Mike Peterson.

Considering the small sample size afforded by one game, tt may be a little early to draw conclusions.

I don't think that you can judge Gonzalez blocking ability by comparing his performance this year to last year's performance of Peelle or Hartsock - those were a different set of opponents.

I guess my problem with that statistical analysis is that it doesn't measure the significance of a play. That play where Abe blew up Jake was one of the most important plays of the game in my book, the Dolphins were marching the ball down the field with dinks and dunks and Abe ended all that.

What's the old saying!? "There are small lies, big lies and statistics" ... the problem with statistics in sports is that they can't account for the momentum factor, which is pretty big in the NFL ... when Abe blew up Long, everybody on our sideline got excited, while (at least) Long's morale went down.

You can't stop the opposing team from running their defense the way they choose. If sixteen opponents choose to prepare for the 2008 Atlanta Falcons, so be it. If they choose to eschew adjustments at halftime, so be it.