If a player is inactive for the game, there is no way he can play?

Ice74

lets say Trey Lewis is an inactive,

Babs, Jerry, Abe, JA98, Johnson all leave the game with injuries...

Lewis would still not be able to play???

or heck use WR as an example, what would happen if you had no WR's left to lineup by had a WR on the inactive gameday list

my question is then , why have a roster of 53 players and paying 53, if you can only play 46????? on game day??

lets say Trey Lewis is an inactive,

Babs, Jerry, Abe, JA98, Johnson all leave the game with injuries...

Lewis would still not be able to play???

or heck use WR as an example, what would happen if you had no WR's left to lineup by had a WR on the inactive gameday list

my question is then , why have a roster of 53 players and paying 53, if you can only play 46????? on game day??

The answer to the first question is yes. I don' know the answer to the second question.

Can't you put an inactive QB in the game? I think it means that the starter or backup are no longer eligible to return. That's why Miami had Pat White playing as the third QB on their depth chart and Henne watching from the sidelines. It's also why Andy Reid better be diplomatic as **** if he's going to have explain to Jeff Garcia why Vick is playing and he is not.

Can't you put an inactive QB in the game? I think it means that the starter or backup are no longer eligible to return. That's why Miami had Pat White playing as the third QB on their depth chart and Henne watching from the sidelines. It's also why Andy Reid better be diplomatic as **** if he's going to have explain to Jeff Garcia why Vick is playing and he is not.

Actually, they listed Pat White as the second QB - who is an active qualified player. The 3rd QB is also active, but if he takes the field, the other two can not come back out. I believe there is an exception in the 4th quarter, but I can't remember what it is.

as far as the 3rd qb rule, i see people saying it incorrectly so i'll try to clear up.

You are allowed to have 45 active players on gameday. Only those 45 can play.

Now the confusion comes into play with the rule of the third qb. If you want to (you don't have to) you can designate a 46th player as your emergency qb. That way you do not have to waste a spot on the 45 man active roster with a qb who likely will not have to play. If you chose to use that 46th spot then if that qb comes into the game before the third quarter, in any capacity, then the other two qbs cannot renter the game. This rule is no longer active in the 4th quarter.

Now you can avoid this altogether by making your 3rd qb part of the 45 man roster and not using a 46th man. This normally comes at the expense of a special teams player. Then the 3rd qb can come into the game as the coaches please in any capacity.

For instance, Sunday Miami used the 46th man as Henne. Pennington was 1, White was 2. The couldn't bring in Henne unless they were taking out pennington and white. If they only used 45 men, they could have kept the order Pennington, Henne, then White and used White whenever they wanted.

53 rostered and 45 active (46 counting the designated 3rd QB) means that only the 45 you activate by the deadline may play in that game. The reason for the extra men is so that if one has a minor injury, or for some other reason has to miss a game (personal or family matter for example) they place that guy on the inactive and activate someone else, but that decision has to be made prior to the game. They're kinda like 'spare players'. Good to have around..................................... ;)

53 rostered and 45 active (46 counting the designated 3rd QB) means that only the 45 you activate by the deadline may play in that game. The reason for the extra men is so that if one has a minor injury, or for some other reason has to miss a game (personal or family matter for example) they place that guy on the inactive and activate someone else, but that decision has to be made prior to the game. They're kinda like 'spare players'. Good to have around..................................... ;)

I just don't understand why they don't let the teams have everybody active.

I just don't understand why they don't let the teams have everybody active.

The 53 down to 45 (46) limit is to kind of balance things out later in the season

Some teams will have more injuries than other teams and if all 53 were allowed to play it would create a big disadvantage to the team with some short term (1 0r 2 week) injuries

Remember in 08 Baker and a couple of other players (Irons, Stepanovich, Fraser) were injured and could not play all in the same week but most were back the next week. Now with 3/4 players not able to play that week should the Falcons have to play a team with all 53 players physically fit? Cutting down to 45 players did balance things out.

The 53 down to 45 (46) limit is to kind of balance things out later in the season

Some teams will have more injuries than other teams and if all 53 were allowed to play it would create a big disadvantage to the team with some short term (1 0r 2 week) injuries

Remember in 08 Baker and a couple of other players (Irons, Stepanovich, Fraser) were injured and could not play all in the same week but most were back the next week. Now with 3/4 players not able to play that week should the Falcons have to play a team with all 53 players physically fit? Cutting down to 45 players did balance things out.

Ok, that actually makes sense.

Found this information on the NFL rules.

Teams can dress 45 players for a game, and most use two spots for quarterbacks, though there is no limit. The rules allow for a 46th player if it's a quarterback and if two quarterbacks are among the first 45 players.

The "third quarterback rule" was created 18 years ago to allow teams a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency quarterback in case the first two were injured. But the rule has a string of stipulations to keep NFL coaches from sneaking an extra player onto their 45-man, game-day rosters while gambling that they won't need a third quarterback.

The Dolphins can carry three quarterbacks on their 45-player roster, but if they have three on their 45, they are not entitled to a 46th player/fourth quarterback. A team is entitled to the 46th player/third quarterback if and only if it has two, and only two, bona fide quarterbacks on the 45.

There is a "first 3 quarters" provision in the rule that states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used for the rest of the game at any position.

While the emergency quarterback isn't technically active, he may dress and participate in all pregame and halftime warm-ups. If he enters the game, he must line up under center or in the shotgun.

It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used. The active quarterbacks do not have to be injured for a team to use its third quarterback."

In 1995 the rule changed as follows:

The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play.