Has Grimes won the NB position over Chevis Jackson?

theProf

I was somewhat surprised in the Miami game with Grimes playing the Nickle Back in passing situations, rather than Chevis Jackson. I don't think that Jackson played at all in Sunday's game. I thought that Grimes would be more apt as a NB, primarily responsible for the slot receiver, rather than outside CB. His skill set and physical stature seem to be a better match against slot WRs, rather than the usually bigger starting WRs. However, I thought the coaching staff was rather pleased with Jackson's play at NB, hence my surprise with Grimes as the starting NB. Has Grimes beaten out Jackson for NB, or was something wrong with Jackson that kept him from playing on game-day, like a sudden sickness/illness?

I was also surprised that Trey Lewis was declared inactive for the Miami game. Atlanta only activated 3 DTs: Babs, Jerry, and Thomas Johnson, but activated all 5 DEs on the roster. I would have thought that Atlanta would have activated 4 DTs and 4 DEs for the game. Has TJ won the #3 DT position over Trey Lewis, or was there something wrong with Trey Lewis on game-day that kept him from playing, like a knee flareup?

I was also surprised that Trey Lewis was declared inactive for the Miami game. Atlanta only activated 3 DTs: Babs, Jerry, and Thomas Johnson, but activated all 5 DEs on the roster. I would have thought that Atlanta would have activated 4 DTs and 4 DEs for the game. Has TJ won the #3 DT position over Trey Lewis, or was there something wrong with Trey Lewis on game-day that kept him from playing, like a knee flareup?

Yea, in 08 they usually played 4 DTs and 4 DEs with Fraser (DE) inactive a lot. This was different. 5 DEs and 3 DTs

Maybe they just wanted to see T. Johnson and Sidbury in an actual game situation or give them actual game experience.

It may have been tailored to something the coaches saw in the Dolphins offense.

With Caroline more run oriented we may see a different group on the D line next week. They may bring Lewis in and deactivate Sidbury.

I know they rotated players alot in sSundays game but did anyone replace Babs on occasion? or did he play the whole game?

I was somewhat surprised in the Miami game with Grimes playing the Nickle Back in passing situations, rather than Chevis Jackson. I don't think that Jackson played at all in Sunday's game. I thought that Grimes would be more apt as a NB, primarily responsible for the slot receiver, rather than outside CB. His skill set and physical stature seem to be a better match against slot WRs, rather than the usually bigger starting WRs. However, I thought the coaching staff was rather pleased with Jackson's play at NB, hence my surprise with Grimes as the starting NB. Has Grimes beaten out Jackson for NB, or was something wrong with Jackson that kept him from playing on game-day, like a sudden sickness/illness?

As far as Grimes and Jackson goes I think it had to do more with personnel match-ups. Coaches probably felt Grimes was better suited to cover Dolphins slot receiver then Jackson. Remember Grimes was the starter going in until Williams showed up.

As far as Johnson and Lewis goes I think Smitty and them are still trying to find a good rotation. We will see how this week goes. Johnson had a better preseason of the two. Maybe leading him to get the first opportunity to show what he has.

As far as Grimes and Jackson goes I think it had to do more with personnel match-ups. Coaches probably felt Grimes was better suited to cover Dolphins slot receiver then Jackson. Remember Grimes was the starter going in until Williams showed up.

As far as Johnson and Lewis goes I think Smitty and them are still trying to find a good rotation. We will see how this week goes. Johnson had a better preseason of the two. Maybe leading him to get the first opportunity to show what he has.

I agree with what you said about Grimes. Jackson may get more time this week with us playing against Dwayne Jarret in the slot. Did Lewis participate in full practice last week.

Personallly I think that Grimes is a better player than Jackson, so it wouldn't suprise me at all if Jackson has trouble finding his way onto the field.

I dont mind seeing grimes at the NB, but i really dont think that Williams will be on the outside in nickel situations, i think he will probably be the NB, and Grimes is just keeping the seat warmed until Hill is ready.

Yea, in 08 they usually played 4 DTs and 4 DEs with Fraser (DE) inactive a lot. This was different. 5 DEs and 3 DTs

Maybe they just wanted to see T. Johnson and Sidbury in an actual game situation or give them actual game experience.

It may have been tailored to something the coaches saw in the Dolphins offense.

With Carolina more run oriented we may see a different group on the D line next week. They may bring Lewis in and deactivate Sidbury

I know they rotated players alot in sSundays game but did anyone replace Babs on occasion? or did he play the whole game?.

Very good points regarding perhaps something specific in the Miami offense possibly dictating Atlanta's defensive personnel for this particular game. BTW I don't recall seeing Johnson and Jerry on the field together, so I'm assuming that Babs played the entire game on defense.

I agree with what you said about Grimes. Jackson may get more time this week with us playing against Dwayne Jarret in the slot. Did Lewis participate in full practice last week.

I'm pretty sure that Lewis participated fully in the practices last week. Nothing was ever mentioned last week about him not being able to fully participate in the practices. From Smitty's press conference last Thursday:

"Q: (On injury status)

A: “William Moore is the only one that didn’t participate; John (Abraham) went through the entire practice today. It’s encouraging to only have one guy out going into the opening game.”

Dude I've been saying for weeks now that Chevis has got the hottest seat on the CB unit. Come on now:

-Given a shot to win the LCB in an open competition and lost the job to Grimes who was demoted?

-Had a chance to take Crisp Houston's RCB position in the last two preseasons and couldn't?

-Only player who dressed Sunday and didn't play other than Redman?

I know there are plenty Chevy, LSU, SEC fans out there but it's pretty clear to me that he sucks and will likely get cut when Hill is ready.

Yeah grimes was on the outside. I think that Williams was on the outside in base packages because he is the better tackler.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I just assumed that in the nickle packages, Williams stayed as the outside CB and Grimes played inside as the NB. I didn't realize that they switched, with Grimes going outside and Williams going inside in the nickle defense.

Very good points regarding perhaps something specific in the Miami offense possibly dictating Atlanta's defensive personnel for this particular game. BTW I don't recall seeing Johnson and Jerry on the field together, so I'm assuming that Babs played the entire game on defense.

Someone posted a link to pro football game results for other reasons -- but just quickly

an interesting result I found

Dolphins ran 59 plays

Babs in 42 out 17

Jerry in 42 out 17

T Johnson in 34 note 17 + 17 = 34

so Johnson subbed equally for Babs and Jerry

I did not realize that at all

Someone posted a link to pro football game results for other reasons -- but just quickly

an interesting result I found

Dolphins ran 59 plays

Babs in 42 out 17

Jerry in 42 out 17

T Johnson in 34 note 17 + 17 = 34

so Johnson subbed equally for Babs and Jerry

I did not realize that at all

I didn't realize that either. I thought Babs played every defensive down, and I didn't realize that Thomas Johnson was in the game for 34 defensive plays. Thanks for providing that information. (BTW the only defensive players that played every defensive down were Lofton, Houston, Williams, Coleman, and DeCoud).

Ledbetter article says that Chevis Jackson has been demoted:

"Falcons’ Jackson takes demotion in stride

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH — Chevis Jackson, a third-round pick in the 2008 draft, is the odd man out as the Falcons play musical cornerbacks in the secondary.

Not pleased with the play of the secondary in the preseason, the Falcons made a trade for Tye Hill and signed Brian Williams, who was released by Jacksonville.

Williams had played under Falcons coach Mike Smith when Smith was the defensive coordinator for the Jaguars.

He started the season opener Sunday against Miami at left cornerback. In passing situations, Williams moved inside to the slot, where Jackson played all of last season. Brent Grimes, who was starting at left cornerback, came in and played left cornerback in nickel situations.

The move wasn’t explained to Jackson, who said he had “no idea” why the change took place.

Jackson was sturdy in coverage and run support last season, when he played in all 17 games and made three starts. He returned an interception 95 yards for a touchdown against New Orleans.

He’s itching to climb the depth chart.

“Helping out the team anyway possible,” Jackson said of his new role. “The coaches make the decisions. I just have to go out there and perform to the best of my ability.”

Smith knows that a demotion can be tough on a player.

“The decisions that we make are based on what we feel give us the best opportunity to win,” Smith said. “You have to stay into it because our backup players are one snap away from being into the ball game.”

Perhaps Trey Lewis still isn't in 'game shape'. I guess we will find out as the season develops.

There was an article on AFC.com, posted 8/23/09, "Sidbury finds some things to correct on game film" by John Manasso in which there are some paragraphs near the end of the article which are devoted to Trey:

LEWIS GETTING THERE: Like Sidbury, defensive tackle Trey Lewis is another player who was receiving a lot of scrutiny in Friday’s game. Lewis, a 316-pounder who has not played in the regular season since injuring his knee against Tampa Bay on Nov. 18, 2007, played more than 30 plays on Friday, recording four tackles, third best on the team behind Jamaal Fudge and Kroy Biermann.

Lewis, who missed some time early in camp with an injury, is in a situation where he needs to play himself back into game shape. If he does, he could become an important part of the defense.

“We wanted to see him play an extended period since he’s basically been out for two seasons,” Smith said. “We thought he played well early on. I thought he did a good job throughout the game. I thought early in the game he was very effective.”

Lewis said his conditioning “was close to where it needs to be.”

“I’m definitely not game-ready yet for real games,” he said, “but I was happy with where I was out there.”

Sidbury finds some things to correct on game film

I commented on this in another post yesterday before Bedwetter put out his article, well at least before I saw it. I really don't understand why Jackson is the odd man out. I thought he played pretty well in the preseason, better than Houston for sure. I know Chevy is not as fast as Houston or Grimes but I think he is a good cover 2 corner.

FFS1970... so you think Chevy is going to get cut? No way... he's only a 2nd year guy. The reason I like Jackson has nothing to do with LSU or the SEC.