My take on the game

Pacific_Falcon

Overall, a great game obviously. I thought it was going to be a close one, and I admit I was a bit nervous...you just never know how your guys are going to come out, ESPECIALLY week 1.

The biggest thing for me when I watched this game is how effective our pass rush was. That was a huge concern coming out of preseason, and pretty much everybody but JA got at least some pressure into the backfield at some point or another. That play where Abraham mudhole stomped Long was a thing of beauty. Our LB's played pretty much like I expected...they were active, swarmed to the ball well, and did pretty well on their assignments in pass coverage as well. While all 3 did well, we kind of already knew what we were gonna have with Peterson and Lofton...so it was nice to see Nicholas play well. There were a couple of times our safety play was suspect, particularly when both Decoud and Coleman let a Miami WR blow right by both them. Luckily Pennington was awful and terribly overthrew him.

As far as the offense goes, Jenkins I felt really tore it up. Our run blocking wasn't as effective as I would have liked, in fact, I think our OL as a whole needs to improve a bit before next game. They weren't BAD, but they definitely didn't perform at the level they're capable of. Also, Ryan was pretty shaky at first. You won't see him miss many passes like he did with Roddy wide open early in the game, so hopefully most of the rust got shaken off there in the 1st quarter of that game.

While our guys won, I have to be honest and say that Miami did a LOT to help our cause...they did not take care of the ball at all. things will be very interesting against the Meows next game, who will be pretty fired up after getting their butts handed to them with all the trimmings yesterday. The next game should give us a good look at where our secondary stands so far.

On other notes, the 'improved' Saints D did not look very steady against the Lions, and the Bucs didn't look as awful as I expected. And what the **** are the Raiders doing making a football game interesting? This year is turning out very weird already lol

The year is starting off very strangely indeed. Good post. (I believe the overthrown pass you're referring to was by Pat White on a wildcat play, fyi).

Yes, the pass rush was outstanding all game long, and that did at least 2 things: 1) let our linebackers stay free to raise he//, and 2) kept our secondary from really being tested hard (not to take anything away from them, because the secondary had a good game).

1)Anderson did get some pressure in the backfield, not as much as Kroy and Abe, or even as much as he should have, but to say he had none is false. He also had a very nice batted pass, in which he timed a jump perfectly and swatted a ball. I hope for his and the Falcons sake that he continues to improve and try, but sadly, this is all we can probably expect from him, a situational DE used against the run primarily.

2) Most of the turnovers from Miami were forced, not just given. Kroy batted a ball out of Penns hands, Peterson laid the wood on the TE, Lofton laid the wood on his guy, and Peterson steps in front of the pass. These turnovers were direct result of our defense more than sloppy play or poor ball handling. So I have to give the credit to the Falcons rather than fault the Dolphins so much.

1)Anderson did get some pressure in the backfield, not as much as Kroy and Abe, or even as much as he should have, but to say he had none is false. He also had a very nice batted pass, in which he timed a jump perfectly and swatted a ball. I hope for his and the Falcons sake that he continues to improve and try, but sadly, this is all we can probably expect from him, a situational DE used against the run primarily.

2) Most of the turnovers from Miami were forced, not just given. Kroy batted a ball out of Penns hands, Peterson laid the wood on the TE, Lofton laid the wood on his guy, and Peterson steps in front of the pass. These turnovers were direct result of our defense more than sloppy play or poor ball handling. So I have to give the credit to the Falcons rather than fault the Dolphins so much.

as far as JA goes, he was the one DL that i never really noticed during the game. if he had some good plays cool, I guess I just didn't notice. believe me, i hope as much as anybody that he puts it together. i guess if he's improving, that's good enough for me, but it's hard seeing him having much of a future here if the rest of the D line, almost all of which make less, are outperforming him. anyway, enough of that...

as far as the turnovers go, i wasnt meaning to take anything away from the D's playmaking, but I also have a hard time believing there will be many more games where the offense turns the ball over that much. there are not too many turnovers where the offense isn't at least to some degree a little careless. for example, turner took some solid shots, but you didnt see us coughing it up like Miami was. Just pointing out Miami didn't take care of the ball very well, and we shouldn't count on that going forward or downplay how that factored into the outcome.