FalconLord's Quick Hits from Week 1

xFalconLord

Quick notes I saw through my first review of the game:

-- Kroy Biermann played LDE on 6 of the first 8 defensive snaps of the game

-- KB71 played RDE in the 4-3 base defense with Abe at LDE several series

-- Chauncey Davis got most of his time at RDE. His TFL came as a RDE. He may get a chance to play more LDE next week

-- Jamaal Anderson had his typical day of 3-4 good solid plays mixed in with a bunch of spectating. Here are three good plays..

1) Jamaal forced the RT back towards Pennington and Penny moves up the pocket and gets sacked by Abe (who beats a triple team). Anderson still needs to beat the block and make the sack when he gets a push like this. The RT was between Penny and JA98 the whole time.

2) JA98 on a good rush is getting held and pulled down as Davis from the RDE puts a hit on Penny after he releases the pass

3) Jamaal beats his man on a pass rush on the play where Jerry layed out Pennington. Jamaal was on Jerry's heals

4) Tipped pass

On the bad side for 98..

1) I saw him get knocked to the ground 1v1 against the RT Carey in a pass rush. Jamaal face planted and then Carey shoved his face in the dirt. Isnt that supposed to be a flag?

2) He was fooled on an end around play in the second half, and ended up running away from the play and away from the line of scrimmage as the reverse ran to his side

3) Several run plays came straight at JA98 and he never beat a block to get in on the tackle. He needs to get involved when the run play comes to his side as opposed to letting the tackle stick him the whole play

-- Jerry did a very good job penetrating the OLine on several plays. He is really doing what the coaches want him to do by being disruptive. I was so skeptical of Jerry early in the preseason, but he is coming on strong. Congrats.

-- Babs was really disruptive. That TFL on Polite was a bone crushing hit. Amazing.

-- Thomas Johnson deserves a solid mention here because he did eat up blockers on the interior.

-- Jerry did a very good job penetrating the OLine on several plays. He is really doing what the coaches want him to do by being disruptive. I was so skeptical of Jerry early in the preseason, but he is coming on strong. Congrats.

I saw him do this so much and so often being an Ole Miss fan. You and I have had a few good conversations the past few weeks about Peria. If he can avoid the injuries he's going to be a very good player for us....... ;)

I saw him do this so much and so often being an Ole Miss fan. You and I have had a few good conversations the past few weeks about Peria. If he can avoid the injuries he's going to be a very good player for us....... ;)

I liked it because it is obvious he is just doing what the coaches tell him.

He ain't some eager young kid trying to prove he was picked in the right round.

He was doing his job, knowing that the highlights will come.

He is soaking up that coaching Hamilton is laying on him.

Yeah. I wanted Maualuga since 2008 and we had a chance to get him in round 1. I was mad we didnt take him.

Also, when I broke down DT's in Draft and FA, I thought Jerry took himself out of way too many plays with over-penetration. Now that I have seen him play in the league, I think thats what the coaches want him to do. Get in the backfield early, and worry about the rest of the stuff later. If he leaves a gaping run hole, the LBs should be there to fill it.

In week 1, it worked well. I only saw one time that Jerry left a gaping hole that was not closed by a LB. They are letting him play his game, which is why I think he will most likely work out well for us as a draft pick. He maybe playing NT, but he is really a penetrating player like Babs.

Quick notes I saw through my first review of the game:

-- Kroy Biermann played LDE on 6 of the first 8 defensive snaps of the game

-- KB71 played RDE in the 4-3 base defense with Abe at LDE several series

-- Chauncey Davis got most of his time at RDE. His TFL came as a RDE. He may get a chance to play more LDE next week

-- Jamaal Anderson had his typical day of 3 good solid plays mixed in with a bunch of spectating. Here are three good plays..

1) Jamaal forced the RT back towards Pennington and Penny moves up the pocket and gets sacked by Abe (who beats a triple team). Anderson still needs to beat the block and make the sack when he gets a push like this. The RT was between Penny and JA98 the whole time.

2) JA98 on a good rush is getting held and pulled down as Davis from the RDE puts a hit on Penny after he releases the pass

3) Jamaal beats his man on a pass rush on the play where Jerry layed out Pennington. Jamaal was on Jerry's heals

On the bad side for 98..

1) I saw him get knocked to the ground 1v1 against the RT Carey in a pass rush. Jamaal face planted and then Carey shoved his face in the dirt. Isnt that supposed to be a flag?

2) He was fooled on an end around play in the second half, and ended up running away from the play and away from the line of scrimmage as the reverse ran to his side

3) Several run plays came straight at JA98 and he never beat a block to get in on the tackle. He needs to get involved when the run play comes to his side as opposed to letting the tackle stick him the whole play

-- Babs was really disruptive. That TFL on Polite was a bone crushing hit. Amazing.

-- Thomas Johnson deserves a solid mention here because he did eat up blockers on the interior.

Didn't JA98 tip a pass as well?

He did his first job which is protect your running lane......Its more then about getting the tackle..... you can set up the tackle for a team mate by protecting your running lane and not getting blown up off the line........ Jamaal held his lane

I get what you are saying but the guy is doing his first responsibility.....

I feel like JA98 is a better fit as a 3-4 DE but the guy is definitely contributing to the team......

He did his first job which is protect your running lane......Its more then about getting the tackle..... you can set up the tackle for a team mate by protecting your running lane and not getting blown up off the line........ Jamaal held his lane

I get what you are saying but the guy is doing his first responsibility.....

I feel like JA98 is a better fit as a 3-4 DE but the guy is definitely contributing to the team......

I can understand your position, but when you go back and literally watch a run play that comes his way, its not as simple as how you say it here. I watched the HB come right towards him and then slide right beside JA98 who didnt even lay a finger on him. He was locked up 1v1 with a blocker.

How many times do you see JA98 standing watching players get into the pile making a tackle? It seems like he is NEVER involved in a tackling pile. Now look at the opposite of that, Kroy Biermann. He may get burnt on a reverse play, but he is going to chase the play down from behind and get into the pile.

Im not okay with a guy who is content holding his position in the run game. That is NOT run defense. Mike Smith talks all the time about beating blocks and making plays. Jamaal is the opposite of that.

On the bad side for 98..

That ticked me off. He didn't stay at home and they got a huge chunk of yards because he took himself out of it.