Falcon Coach Improves Benching Skills

In 2008 Atlanta Falcon Coach Mike Smith struggled with his benching skills. He made roster adjustments way too late. Here are a few examples:

Grimes - waited four or five games to get Foxworth on the field

Jennings - let him play at least eight games too long before running him off

Busterson - didn't put Chauncey, The Beer man and Nic in on pass rushing downs until Game eleven or twelve

Now turn the page to 2009. THE YEAR OF URGENCY.

Grimes - benched before the season opening National Anthem

Busterson - benched again in pass rushing situations. This time in Game One. Sad.

You best believe Smitty has at least three more moves on the radar screen:

DeCoud - better be glad that Wildcat pass was overthrown. Awful FS play. Moore could push for a SS job and send Coleman back to FS

Crisp - part of the Wildcat play too. Hill wants your job. Smitty will give it to him if you slip against Smith, Moss, Welker & Galloway

Busterson - you better pull your pictures of Smitty out son cause The Beer man is trying to take your job. Trust me.

In 2008 Atlanta Falcon Coach Mike Smith struggled with his benching skills. He made roster adjustments way too late. Here are a few examples:

Grimes - waited four or five games to get Foxworth on the field

Jennings - let him play at least eight games too long before running him off

Busterson - didn't put Chauncey, The Beer man and Nic in on pass rushing downs until Game eleven or twelve

Now turn the page to 2009. THE YEAR OF URGENCY.

Grimes - benched before the season opening National Anthem

Busterson - benched again in pass rushing situations. This time in Game One. Sad.

You best believe Smitty has at least three more moves on the radar screen:

DeCoud - better be glad that Wildcat pass was overthrown. Awful FS play. Moore could push for a SS job and send Coleman back to FS

Crisp - part of the Wildcat play too. Hill wants your job. Smitty will give it to him if you slip against Smith, Moss, Welker & Galloway

Busterson - you better pull your pictures of Smitty out son cause The Beer man is trying to take your job. Trust me.

Kroy is not in position to take over at LDE, he is a RDE plain and simple

...and the play where the Falcons actually gave up the TD was a feather in Coleman's cap to reclaim the starting FS job? At least DeCoud could chalk his mistake up to inexperience. Coleman just plain and simple left the RB uncovered.

DeCoud will be fine. Moore has earned nothing thus far. The position should not be given to him.

We are close people. Very Close.

We still have a couple of depth players starting and that aint going to cut it at all.

Kroy and JA 98 are doing fine, and the only viable knock

on 98 is he is just Grossly Overpaid for what he brings to the field.

If you want to win games in the playoffs you have to bench some scrubs and bring in

a better player.

Kroy is not in position to take over at LDE, he is a RDE plain and simple
You keep saying this Jay. I disagree. I have watched him in camp, mock games, preseason games and in the season opener. He is much better than he used to be at stopping the run. He put on 20 pounds of muscle and was always strong. He did a good job against the run yesterday. On both sides.

We are close people. Very Close.

We still have a couple of depth players starting and that aint going to cut it at all.

Kroy and JA 98 are doing fine, and the only viable knock

on 98 is he is just Grossly Overpaid for what he brings to the field.

If you want to win games in the playoffs you have to bench some scrubs and bring in

a better player.

Profound post.

We are still a few moves away. But very close.

Smitty has ramped up his benching skills this season folks. This is the year of urgency. He will not make the mistakes he made last year. He is becoming more like Reeves. I saw Reeves bench Jesse, Mathis, Chandler, Jam and Vick. Glanville would have been calling Jamaal a bust long before now. In the media.

You keep saying this Jay. I disagree. I have watched him in camp, mock games, preseason games and in the season opener. He is much better than he used to be at stopping the run. He did a good job against the run yesterday. On both sides.

I know i keep saying this and it is the truth. Beirmann has played majority of his snaps at RDE including mini-camp, mock games, practices, preseason games, and season opener. He may rotate to LDE a few times, but majority are at RDE. I can say with most I want to say all, but most of his TFL against the run have come from the RDE spot, not LDE. I have noticed this since OTA's started. Trust me :rolleyes:

I know i keep saying this and it is the truth. Beirmann has played majority of his snaps at RDE including mini-camp, mock games, practices, preseason games, and season opener. He may rotate to LDE a few times, but majority are at RDE. I can say with most I want to say all, but most of his TFL against the run have come from the RDE spot, not LDE. I have noticed this since OTA's started. Trust me :rolleyes:
Biermann played a ton of snaps at LDE last year and will again this year. He played the run very well from that side yesterday and also picked up a QB hit and a forced fumble.

Biermann played a ton of snaps at LDE last year and will again this year. He played the run very well from that side yesterday and also picked up a sack, a QB hit and a forced fumble.

Yeah you right that was last year and the Coaching staff must have realized that Beirmann strength is coming from the RDE spot, which is what he played in college. He has been much more disruptive at RDE, Granted he did get a sack at LDE yesterday, but in terms of him being better able to defend the run I think that Beirmann is going to make his mark at RDE. I know you dont like JA98 but trust me :rolleyes: Beirmann is not going to be starting at LDE, as a matter of fact he wasnt even mentioned in the LDE battle this offseason. The only names mentioned were JA98, Davis and Sidbury.

Yeah you right that was last year and the Coaching staff must have realized that Beirmann strength is coming from the RDE spot, which is what he played in college. He has been much more disruptive at RDE, Granted he did get a sack at LDE yesterday, but in terms of him being better able to defend the run I think that Beirmann is going to make his mark at RDE. I know you dont like JA98 but trust me :rolleyes: Beirmann is not going to be starting at LDE, as a matter of fact he wasnt even mentioned in the LDE battle this offseason. The only names mentioned were JA98, Davis and Sidbury.
No, I think it's more of his 2009 rotation. He played Abe, The Beer Man, Chauncey and Busterson at both DE spots quite a bit.

He also swapped Jerry and Babineaux at NT and UT a few times.

There is no reason why Biermann can't start at LDE. He has logged more snaps at that position in his career and produced. He had a sack last year on that side plus a sack, QB hit, two of his three tackles and forced fumble in Game One of 2009. He was stout against the run on both sides yesterday.

“We do not have four defensive linemen,” coach Mike Smith said. “We have seven or eight starting defensive linemen. I think it’s very important that you rotate those players and try to keep them as fresh as possible.”

By your reasoning, Brandon Jacobs gets benched two or three times every game (I'll save you a trip to Google - he's a RB for the NY Giants.)

Sad.

No, I think it's more of his 2009 rotation. He played Abe, The Beer Man, Chauncey and Busterson at both DE spots quite a bit.

He also swapped Jerry and Babineaux at NT and UT a few times.

There is no reason why Biermann can't start at LDE. He has logged more snaps at that position in his career and produced. He had a sack last year on that side plus a sack and forced fumble in Game One of 2009. He was very stout against the run on both sides yesterday.

I have nothing against Beirmann, but i just think that the coaches recognize his strenght and that is RDE, but he can also log snaps at LDE. Beirmann is Abe's eventual replacement at RDE. Hopefully we have a future star in Sidbury at LDE or else we will be looking in 2010.

...and the play where the Falcons actually gave up the TD was a feather in Coleman's cap to reclaim the starting FS job? At least DeCoud could chalk his mistake up to inexperience. Coleman just plain and simple left the RB uncovered.

DeCoud will be fine. Moore has earned nothing thus far. The position should not be given to him.

can someone explain how that play was coleman's fault?

I really thought it was decoud that gave up the TD, he was running back in a straight line to the endzone covering reciever NOBODY, with his head turned back, and left the RB open. Didn't coleman run to the FB or somethin'...

You say this as if it's a good thing.

Of course, you also believe that Chris Miller was a better football player than William Andrews, so I'm not too surprised.

Yeah I think that would have been a good thing cause he deserves it. He has wasted a Top 10 pick, stole our money, negatively impacted our cap number and taken snaps from better players. I don't like that. Not worth a dam.

Glanville ran Bruce off. Busterson would have been long gone. Bruce produced five times more than him.

Yeah I think that would have been a good thing cause he deserves it. He has wasted a Top 10 pick, stole our money, negatively impacted our cap number and taken snaps from better players. I don't like that. Not worth a dam.

Glanville ran Bruce off. Busterson would have been long gone. Bruce produced five times more than him.

I won't go as far to say he "stole" money. Yeah, he is underachieving.

The huge thing people seem to be ignoring is that he is producing less than our supposed "biggest bust ever." :mellow:

I have nothing against Beirmann, but i just think that the coaches recognize his strenght and that is RDE, but he can also log snaps at LDE. Beirmann is Abe's eventual replacement at RDE. Hopefully we have a future star in Sidbury at LDE or else we will be looking in 2010.
Watch the play at 8:46 in the FIRST quarter. Lines up on left side. Makes stop on right side of defense for a 2 yard run. Gets a tackle, TFL, QB hit, a sack and a forced fumble on the next play while Busterson is drinking Gatorade. Two of his three tackles were from the left side. Also got two St tackles as first man down on two kickoffs. Play the man.

I'm watching the game now. Watch the play at 8:46 in the first quarter. Lines up on left side. Makes stop on right side of defense for a 2 yard run. Gets a QB hit, a sack and a forced fumble on the next play while Busterson is drinking Gatorade. Play the man.

I never said that he cant be effective at LDE, but i think his strength is at RDE in regards to being the most effective against the run.

I'm watching the game now. Watch the play at 8:46 in the FIRST quarter. Lines up on left side. Makes stop on right side of defense for a 2 yard run. Gets a tackle, TFL, QB hit, a sack and a forced fumble on the next play while Busterson is drinking Gatorade. Play the man.

I will watch the game again just to prove you wrong.