Carolina, looked like tough early game, now not so much?

DeathFromAbove

Don Banks from SI:

Jake Delhomme may be done in Carolina. I mean toast. Finito. It's going to take all the faith John Fox can muster to stand behind his beleaguered starting QB this time, recent contract extension or not. After months of telling everyone that Delhomme's five-turnover meltdown in the Panthers' home playoff loss against Arizona last January was an aberration, not the rule, Delhomme went out on that same field and turned the ball over five more times (four interceptions and a fumble lost) in an uglier-than-it-sounds 38-10 loss to the visiting Eagles. Fox benched Delhomme in the second half, after his fifth turnover, and you wonder how the Panthers head coach can possibly run him out there again. I know this much: It's a lucky break for Delhomme that Carolina faces two road games (at Atlanta, at Dallas) and a Week 4 bye before returning to Bank of America Stadium in Week 5 against Washington. Maybe some of the stench of the Panthers' opener and Delhomme's latest debacle will have faded by then.

Also hoping we can have more success running up the middle than we did yesterday,

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE seeing Carolina being taken to the woodshed! I absolutely HATE that team! No love lost!!!

Don Banks from SI:

Jake Delhomme may be done in Carolina. I mean toast. Finito. It's going to take all the faith John Fox can muster to stand behind his beleaguered starting QB this time, recent contract extension or not. After months of telling everyone that Delhomme's five-turnover meltdown in the Panthers' home playoff loss against Arizona last January was an aberration, not the rule, Delhomme went out on that same field and turned the ball over five more times (four interceptions and a fumble lost) in an uglier-than-it-sounds 38-10 loss to the visiting Eagles. Fox benched Delhomme in the second half, after his fifth turnover, and you wonder how the Panthers head coach can possibly run him out there again. I know this much: It's a lucky break for Delhomme that Carolina faces two road games (at Atlanta, at Dallas) and a Week 4 bye before returning to Bank of America Stadium in Week 5 against Washington. Maybe some of the stench of the Panthers' opener and Delhomme's latest debacle will have faded by then.

Also hoping we can have more success running up the middle than we did yesterday,

I had been saying all season I thought Delhomme would hold them back.

That said, I'm kind of sorry it happened last week. I think Fox is a good coach and he'll come in this week with a low-risk gameplan for Delhomme b/c he has to have lost faith in him. Sucks for us. I don't want us to underestimate them but I don't think our staff will let our team get complacent.

Don Banks from SI:

Jake Delhomme may be done in Carolina. I mean toast. Finito. It's going to take all the faith John Fox can muster to stand behind his beleaguered starting QB this time, recent contract extension or not. After months of telling everyone that Delhomme's five-turnover meltdown in the Panthers' home playoff loss against Arizona last January was an aberration, not the rule, Delhomme went out on that same field and turned the ball over five more times (four interceptions and a fumble lost) in an uglier-than-it-sounds 38-10 loss to the visiting Eagles. Fox benched Delhomme in the second half, after his fifth turnover, and you wonder how the Panthers head coach can possibly run him out there again. ...

If there's any truth to this, Carolina and Philly could both be competing for whatever QB talent is on the market. Though I suspect Jake gets (at the very least) another shot this week.

Don Banks from SI:

Still after all thats happened this week, and the fact that its a home divisional match; just piles all the pressure on us! That makes it a dangerous one, and could set us up for a fall!

Still on paper its certainly one we should be winning

Well everyone except John Fox (panther fans included) raised an eyebrow when they gave him that huge extension after stinking up that playoff game. Now he looks mentally shot and I don't know if he will recover. Having said that they are still a solid team and they can run the ball. It would be a huge mistake for our team or our fans to think they are going to come to the dome and lay down. I'm a little nervous about this one..heck I'm nervous about all of them!.. :lol:

I have confidence in our team. I really don't think the Panthers have a chance. All that money sunk into franchising Peppers, signing Delhomme to the huge extension...all signs that point to bad team management. Stewart has a heel injury and didn't practice yesterday. I'm sure he'll play but how bad is that injury? Did they even draft anyone that is an making immediate impact like we did?

Peter King:

Carolina Panthers (0-1) at Atlanta Falcons (1-0)

A.J. Feeley is too nice a guy to ever say this, but there's a reason why he took the Carolina opportunity to be a backup rather than the Eagles' job offer -- he sees blood in the water. Jake Delhomme is in the most miserable stretch of his NFL career, and he's got one or two or three games to pull himself out of it before John Fox has to make a change.

Prediction: Atlanta Falcons 27, Carolina Panthers 10

Why are you guys scared? Do you really think Smitty would let this team take anyone lightly.

True, I'm just nervous before every game. I mean, I remember '05 after our team started of 6-2 and we let the Packers and Samkon Gado beat us down.

I remember '06 when we go to 5-2 and lost to two of the worst teams in the league.

Obviously I have much more faith in our current staff and personnel than I did back then, but it's still in the back of my mind.

They're going to be angry after getting embarrassed at home and now going against a division rival.

I wouldn't take them lightly...

Agree completely. With that said, I believe our players and coaching staff will not treat any team lightly, especially a division opponent. If we pressure Delhomme with the front 4 and limit their run game, then we will win!

The loyalty John Fox shows towards his players is going to cost his team wins and himself his job. Remember DeShaun Foster? That guy should have been cut years before he was still their starting running back. Take DeAngelo Williams for example. He is, in my opinion, the best back in the league, and he's still never been the showcase back on that team because of Foster when he first got there and Stewart now. Delhomme has ridden one good year longer than any other quarterback in the history of the league.

They have no other QB of note on the roster and don't have one to develop (although Carolina fans will tell you differently in regards to Matt Moore...why, I have no idea). They are sliding down a slippery slope a la TB and it will be ATL and NO in this division for a while to come.

I'm curious to see how our defense holds up against cut-back runs. They fared really well against the power runs and traps to the outside Miami ran. With Williams in the backfield, they're going to have to stay at home on the backside. Interesting to see if that's a weakness Carolina can exploit. Of course if the LBs play as well as they did last week, there's not much anyone can do against us on the ground. Outside of Jordan Gross, it seemed that no one on the Carolina line was up to the task last Sunday, we'll see if that's a trend or an aberration.

All of that said, I'm not sure that the Carolina D can stop us. By spending all their cap room on Delhomme and Peppers, they have no depth on Defense. On top of that their starting FS and RCB are listed as questionable. Who knows who winds up with the start, but I imagine that Ryan is getting pumped up for a big day. In short, double #90, and keep the ball away from #52 and #58. Run right at Tyler Brayton and Na'il Diggs (behind Dahl and Clabo), then play action. I seriously doubt Chris Gamble and whoever they trot out to play safety can cover Roddy White, especially when you have to worry about Gonzalez, Jenkins, Norwood, etc.

Carolina shows up, but I think, in the end they won't be able to stop the Atlanta offense. Carolina runs the ball well, keeps it out of Delhomme's hands, and as a result they trade FGs for TDs and cannot keep up. Take the points, because I see us scoring a touchdown late to ice the game, say 31-19