why does jason elam get a free pass?

crankdatfalcon

Yes it was just one game, but he should be put on blast. Missing an extra point, 2 makeable FG's, are you serious?????This dude has been in the league since forever, so kicking extra points should be nothing to him. If the game was on the line, and he did the same thing, would it be the same result??Would people give him a free pass because he is a veteran. There is no excuse this time around. The thread i made last year during preseason about him, yes that was an excuse because it was just preseason, But now there should be no free passes given out no matter what. Yes we won, but who knows the result next time.

yeah that was a big disappointment, but what was more disappointing to me was the fact that he had to attempt so many FGs. Our offense should be executing better in opponents territory.

Matt just had an off day against a very good defense. Just a few feet on a couple of passes and we're talking about having 14 or more points on top of our 19.

Because he has proven that he has what it takes in big moments. He will fix whatever went wrong. He hit a 50 yarder, so he still has it physically, and we know that he knows how to kick fieldgoals.

He's a HOF player, and when you lead the league at your position, you are allowed to have one bad game and get a free pass. If Tony Gonzalez had a bad game I would give him a free pass, too. If he does this again next week. Then I'll worry about it.

if roddy missed 2 catchable potential touchdowns thrown to him, would he get the same free pass treatment??

probably not but then again roddy hasn't been playing WR at such a high level for as long as elam has been a kicker for such a high level. elam is one of the greatest kickers of all time, and that's no exaggeration.

if roddy went out and had a drop or two i'd give him the benefit of the doubt (as long as they didn't lose us the game or mess things up too bad) because i know roddy is a guy that can catch 80-90 balls a year for us and he'll bounce back. same with elam.

Here are his stats for 2008:

29 of 31 field goals for 93.5%

Longest Field Goal 50 yards

Field Goals from 19 yards or less 0-0

Field Goals from 20 - 29 yards 11-11

Field Goals from 30 to 39 yards 7-8

Field Goals from 40 to 49 yards 10-10

Field Goals over 50 yards 1-2

42 of 42 PAT's for 100%

Points = 129

Here are his career stats over 17 years:

426 of 525 field goals for 81.1%

Longest Field Goal 63 yards

Field Goals from 19 yards or less 4-4 for 100%

Field Goals from 20 - 29 yards 146-152 for 96.1%

Field Goals from 30 to 39 yards 129-141 for 91.5%

Field Goals from 40 to 49 yards 108-164 for 65.9%

Field Goals over 50 yards 39-64 for 60.9%

644 of 648 PAT's for 99.4%

Total Points = 1922

He had a bad day but we won. He did not cost us the game. I trust that our coaches will do the right thing if he "continues" this trend - but I don't see it.

His production last year alone earned him a pass for one bad game.

Here are his stats for 2008:

29 of 31 field goals for 93.5%

Longest Field Goal 50 yards

Field Goals from 19 yards or less 0-0

Field Goals from 20 - 29 yards 11-11

Field Goals from 30 to 39 yards 7-8

Field Goals from 40 to 49 yards 10-10

Field Goals over 50 yards 1-2

42 of 42 PAT's for 100%

Points = 129

Here are his career stats over 17 years:

426 of 525 field goals for 81.1%

Longest Field Goal 63 yards

Field Goals from 19 yards or less 4-4 for 100%

Field Goals from 20 - 29 yards 146-152 for 96.1%

Field Goals from 30 to 39 yards 129-141 for 91.5%

Field Goals from 40 to 49 yards 108-164 for 65.9%

Field Goals over 50 yards 39-64 for 60.9%

644 of 648 PAT's for 99.4%

Total Points = 1922

He had a bad day but we won. He did not cost us the game. I trust that our coaches will do the right thing if he "continues" this trend - but I don't see it.

His production last year alone earned him a pass for one bad game.

ok, so if his missed FG's and pat cost us the game, then, only then would this be the main topic of conversation and everybody would be calling for jason's head?

ok, so if his missed FG's and pat cost us the game, then, only then would this be the main topic of conversation and everybody would be calling for jason's head?
When you've had a career like his people don't generally overreact and call for your head after one bad game. I'm sure there would be a lot more hate if we had lost, but we didn't, so what's the point of discussing it?

I'm sure many on this board would - they usually do find someone to rant about - regardless of a win/loss or how great the overall performance was. Everybody - no. I think most fans were disappointed in his production yesterday - but not willing to take a 17 year career and a wonderful performance last year for granted or judge his future based on one bad game.

I agree with almost everyone else that I'll give him a pass this week ... because we won regardless and because everyone is allowed an off day. Granted, I agree with the person who started the thread that I wouldn't feel so forgiving if we had lost. :P

What I'm more upset about is that I recommended him to my dad for his fantasy football league. He asked me if Elam was any good, and I told him he hardly ever missed last year. Now my dad says I'm trying to sabotage his Fantasy Team. Oh well!!

He was uncharastically bad. The keyword there is uncharastically.

No one ever gets a free pass in the NFL. It is a point of concern that I am sure the coaches will address but if you fire every proven asset that has a bad day we won't have any talent left on the team by the end of the year.