Vols vs. UCLA: Loss called 'embarrassing'

SacFalcFan

kiffin didn't make the loss irrelevant.. getting some commits doesn't remove the fact of losing at home and the embarrassment it is after all the preseason talk from kiffin. Volunteer fas have sure changed, it used to be about winning now not getting some commits.

No it didn't make the loss completely irrelevant, but it made the future a little more brighter. He was brash this preseason he did what he needed to do and we are getting the recruits, I believe I saw that scout has us ranked at 3 currently. Volunteer fans haven't changed, I was expecting an 8 win season this year, and now I think we are in the realm of 6-7 wins. Everyone knew that if we didn't get good QB play this year it could be a rough one and it doesn't look like we are gonna get it right now, but pulling these great recruits means that the future is looking good. This is Kiffin's first year, and i'm not expecting great results until 2011. I'm going to give the man time to get recruits for his system and give him more time to get everything together.

I have to hand it to Kiffin. He found a way to render the UCLA loss almost irrelevant in 24 hours through the magic of recruiting.

This is crazy to me about college football today, that recruiting has become almost as important if not more important than the game itself, this is not a flame because every fan base is guilty of it including/especially Auburn's, I just find it interesting how big recruiting is getting and this is a telling statement, again not about Tennessee football but college football itself because I guarantee that everybody here would give the smae response if their team was in the same situation.

This is crazy to me about college football today, that recruiting has become almost as important if not more important than the game itself, this is not a flame because every fan base is guilty of it including/especially Auburn's, I just find it interesting how big recruiting is getting and this is a telling statement, again not about Tennessee football but college football itself because I guarantee that everybody here would give the smae response if their team was in the same situation.

I agree, good post, just because its Tennessee and most of the fans on this board are Georgia fans they are getting ragged on, but when you're in a rebuilding stage how are you supposed to feel when you see great recruits coming for the future? I say pretty good.

i don't agree that everybody would give the same response.. there are plenty of fans who wouldn't say getting some commits makes a loss irrelevant.. in fact the response you replied to i haven't seen said by many vol fans. There are plenty of vol fans upset about the loss and are happy with the commits, but it doesn't make the loss irrelevant even with how popular recruiting has been. it's a way to spin a loss indeed, but it's not something i see many fans saying after losing a game. I seem most fans saying it's a bright spot from the weekend, but doesn't take away the pain of the loss.

I agree, good post, just because its Tennessee and most of the fans on this board are Georgia fans they are getting ragged on, but when you're in a rebuilding stage how are you supposed to feel when you see great recruits coming for the future? I say pretty good.

I don't agree at all with his post nor do I think most vol fans think that getting 3 commits makes the loss irrelevant.. it's a spin and it sure as heck isn't correct to most fans.

I don't agree at all with his post nor do I think most vol fans think that getting 3 commits makes the loss irrelevant.. it's a spin and it sure as heck isn't correct to most fans.

I said it made the loss hurt a little less, we are rebuilding if we win 5 games this year oh well, every team eventually has to do it and its our turn, this program is headed in the right direction regardless of how this season pans out.

We will go back and look at film and work like heck! oh wait

The loss was bad, and i cant say i understood for one second why Gerald Jones was in as much as he was in some of the plays, he flat out hasn't practiced with Crompton enough and it was apparent near the end of the game, and the injury was visible on the INT that was aimed at Jones, i dont think he even left the ground when he went up for it.

yep getting talent has not been an issue at tennessee, but as volunteer falcon said it's developing that talent..
Yep and Kifin is unproven in that area so far. I am not saying he cant do it because he has potential and may very well turn out to be a great coach if he doesn't trip over his own ego but it remains to be seen and although getting good players helps its not close to being everything.I think it will be interesting to see how the coaching staff handles and reacts to the adversity they are bound to face this first year.

Recruiting hasn't been an issue for UT since the Peyton days in the mid 90's. They have had plenty of talent come through there in the past few years.

There were as many players drafted from Tennessee State last year as there were players from UT. It was 1 to 1. Our recruiting had gone off the rails during that miserable recruiting class of 2006 and those guys are seniors now. This is cause followed by effect.

I guarantee that everybody here would give the smae response if their team was in the same situation.

It's just so rare to see a team receive such a significant series of commitments in such a short period. We went from 17 to 3 at Scout and something like 14 (don't know exactly since I only looked on Thursday) to 4 at Rival. The fact that this happened during the week of a frustrating loss with three of the commitments coming after the game makes it all the more remarkable.

I enjoy your frustration that Vols fans aren't beside themselves with rage at the moment. Overall, it was a good football weekend for us, assuming these five guys honor their commitments.

I enjoy your frustration that Vols fans aren't beside themselves with rage at the moment. Overall, it was a good football weekend for us, assuming these five guys honor their commitments.

I enjoy your Defeatism. Tennessee used to be a very proud fan base that considered losing at home to a team like ucla as something to get upset about, but it's clear some fans would rather spin getting commits as being more important than on the field wins. So you speak for the few minority who follow recruiting that getting 3 commits means more than losing gamesfield. Your comment about the loss being irrelevant just shows how far down a few vol fans have gotten regarding their expectations. I am as big of a recruiting fan as anyone and love commits, but getting 3 commits in a weekend wouldn't take away from the fact we lost a game. Now if your opinion is you have no chance this year and you are rebuilding so winning games doesn't really matter than I can see why you have that opinion.